2020 Draft Thread

Forge

What's everyone's temperature on Laviska Shenault? I've been mostly looking at receivers, versatile safeties, long corners, and centers for our pick and he popped out to me today. I'm not as high on a lot of the other options that might fall - most don't seem like the scheme fits that I would prefer as they are longer guys that excel at contested catches or pure speedsters. The possibility that Shenault makes it to us (with a saturated receiver class and an injury ding) intrigues me. Shenault is good at contested catches and fades and would immediately add that element to the offense. We haven't seen a slot fade since about week 1 when it blew wide open, but it's a great way to handle man coverage if you have the horse for it and he is one. But the main reason I covet him is yards after the catch. We run so many RPO slants off outside zones and deep overs and ins that get the receiver catching the ball full stride behind linebackers that dudes with real YAC skills can add a ton of value. Shenault is an absolute monster after the catch and would immediately challenge Deebo and Kittle to a YAC-off. Plus, Shanahan could draw up nuts stuff with essential two dudes that can do Deebo things on the field. The key problem would be route running and understanding. Shanahan loves his dudes that love them some routes and he isn't the most polished in terms of snapping his breaks off precisely when he gets to run them - there were a lot of screens and fades. He also hasn't had any sort of experience with real route adjustment and he'd be taking Sanders' spot on the roster essentially, with the cap savings going to a defensive back.

Edited by JIllg
information left out

30 minutes ago, JIllg said:

What's everyone's temperature on Laviska Shenault?

Just had a quick look 

and he does look like another YAC guy that Jimmy and Co. would love. Reminds me of Deebo really, so sure, looks to be a nice fit, agreed. 

The flaws like route running can be sharpened up, if he's a willing student that applies himself. Early flaws in his game like that are why we could select him after a small trade down.... maybe. 

12 hours ago, sherm said:

Naw I'm good on movin up for Higgins. Don't have enough ammo and I'd rather draft Lamb anyway.

You think he will be available? I think it is quite possible that he is the first receiver off the board. 

5 hours ago, JIllg said:

What's everyone's temperature on Laviska Shenault? I've been mostly looking at receivers, versatile safeties, long corners, and centers for our pick and he popped out to me today. I'm not as high on a lot of the other options that might fall - most don't seem like the scheme fits that I would prefer as they are longer guys that excel at contested catches or pure speedsters. The possibility that Shenault makes it to us (with a saturated receiver class and an injury ding) intrigues me. Shenault is good at contested catches and fades and would immediately add that element to the offense. We haven't seen a slot fade since about week 1 when it blew wide open, but it's a great way to handle man coverage if you have the horse for it and he is one. But the main reason I covet him is yards after the catch. We run so many RPO slants off outside zones and deep overs and ins that get the receiver catching the ball full stride behind linebackers that dudes with real YAC skills can add a ton of value. Shenault is an absolute monster after the catch and would immediately challenge Deebo and Kittle to a YAC-off. Plus, Shanahan could draw up nuts stuff with essential two dudes that can do Deebo things on the field. The key problem would be route running and understanding. Shanahan loves his dudes that love them some routes and he isn't the most polished in terms of snapping his breaks off precisely when he gets to run them - there were a lot of screens and fades. He also hasn't had any sort of experience with real route adjustment and he'd be taking Sanders' spot on the roster essentially, with the cap savings going to a defensive back.

Love Shenaults talent, he might be the best in the class talent wise... the injury thing is a big ding though. I don't know if he's been snakebit or just injury prone but I know he's missed alot of games.

Haven’t been in here much as of late and haven’t taken a look at past pages beyond this one, but has anyone looked at or have any favorites at C in this years class? I have a strong feeling if we stay in the 1st, and even if we trade down using our first pick wherever it may fall, is where we’ll be looking. With Richburg ending the season on the IR, a tad injury prone since signing on, older and at a price tag of over 10 mil I can see us moving on with the potential out we have in his contract. I have my own list of C/OGs I like but looking for some more POVs.

35 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Haven’t been in here much as of late and haven’t taken a look at past pages beyond this one, but has anyone looked at or have any favorites at C in this years class? I have a strong feeling if we stay in the 1st, and even if we trade down using our first pick wherever it may fall, is where we’ll be looking. With Richburg ending the season on the IR, a tad injury prone since signing on, older and at a price tag of over 10 mil I can see us moving on with the potential out we have in his contract. I have my own list of C/OGs I like but looking for some more POVs.

Have not heard whether he will go back to Oklahoma or not, but Creed Humphrey is eligible for the draft and he is a very good C.

43 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I would hope that the team has a plan to add competition to the interior offensive line, but Richburg just restructured his contract to save 2020 cap room, and that makes it near impossible to get out of in 2020 and pretty unlikely in 2021. He's not going anywhere. 

That doesn't mean interior OL including center is necessarily off the table with our first pick. Someone to push Person to a backup role who can also back up Richburg in the case of injury would be a great addition. But Richburg himself isn't going anywhere. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would hope that the team has a plan to add competition to the interior offensive line, but Richburg just restructured his contract to save 2020 cap room, and that makes it near impossible to get out of in 2020 and pretty unlikely in 2021. He's not going anywhere. 

That doesn't mean interior OL including center is necessarily off the table with our first pick. Someone to push Person to a backup role who can also back up Richburg in the case of injury would be a great addition. But Richburg himself isn't going anywhere. 

Was unaware of that restructure, do you know of anywhere that shows those numbers? As long as it a smaller cap hit I don’t mind keeping him, but 20 plus mil over the next two years (his old contract) for him I’m not a fan of. 

@Chrissooner49er, I like Humphrey but he said a couple days ago he was going back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Was unaware of that restructure, do you know of anywhere that shows those numbers? As long as it a smaller cap hit I don’t mind keeping him, but 20 plus mil over the next two years (his old contract) for him I’m not a fan of. 

@Chrissooner49er, I like Humphrey but he said a couple days ago he was going back.

I don't know if any of the sites that have contract info have updated it or not. I just remember the savings amount in 2020 is $4.5M. 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:50 AM, JIllg said:

The WR you described is already on the team. His name is Jalen Hurd.

My thing with WR is that if we draft a WR, he needs to bring a element we already lack. The only type I see us adding to our group is a speed guy, as I see us moving on from Goodwin. A rookie like the Saints Deonte Harris would be perfect for us. He gave us all kinds of fits when we played them and that fast as lighting, jitterbug type of guy I think would put that group over the top as far as being able to exploit any and every type of defensive coverage.

I just don't want to draft a WR because that's what we've done every draft up until now. We've got two very talented guys coming back from IR in Hurd and Taylor. We already have Deebo as a potential WR1 type. Bourne has made his case as a potential starter next year though I'd like to see him be more consistent catching the ball and eleminating the drops. We'll either re-sign Sanders or add another vet type that could be chasing a ring and may come here at a discount. You could throw Pettis in there as the wildcard that maybe the light comes on in his 3rd year. That's a very crowded room already. If we draft one, they need to bring something different to the table IMO. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The WR you described is already on the team. His name is Jalen Hurd.

My thing with WR is that if we draft a WR, he needs to bring a element we already lack. The only type I see us adding to our group is a speed guy, as I see us moving on from Goodwin. A rookie like the Saints Deonte Harris would be perfect for us. He gave us all kinds of fits when we played them and that fast as lighting, jitterbug type of guy I think would put that group over the top as far as being able to exploit any and every type of defensive coverage.

I just don't want to draft a WR because that's what we've done every draft up until now. We've got two very talented guys coming back from IR in Hurd and Taylor. We already have Deebo as a potential WR1 type. Bourne has made his case as a potential starter next year though I'd like to see him be more consistent catching the ball and eleminating the drops. We'll either re-sign Sanders or add another vet type that could be chasing a ring and may come here at a discount. You could throw Pettis in there as the wildcard that maybe the light comes on in his 3rd year. That's a very crowded room already. If we draft one, they need to bring something different to the table IMO. 

All fair points, though frankly I’m still drooling a little too hard at the thought of Shenault getting YAC to revise my opinion. Which players would you prefer with the pick that you have a reasonable hope of falling to us?

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

All fair points, though frankly I’m still drooling a little too hard at the thought of Shenault getting YAC to revise my opinion. Which players would you prefer with the pick that you have a reasonable hope of falling to us?

I like Jalen Reagor of TCU or Killins of UCF. Though Killins is labeled a RB, I think he's more of that Darren Sproles type of hybrid scat-back/slot WR. Ruggs III for 'Bama is a player too though I dont think he falls out of the first. 

22 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I like Jalen Reagor of TCU or Killins of UCF. Though Killins is labeled a RB, I think he's more of that Darren Sproles type of hybrid scat-back/slot WR. Ruggs III for 'Bama is a player too though I dont think he falls out of the first. 

Both interesting picks that align with your goals - I disagree with the need for a pure speed threat at receiver as we haven’t used one all year, but the logic is the reverse of mine. I personally believe on doubling down on what we do well, you believe in having as many complementary options as possible. Both have their merits. Killins is an interesting player, but I’m not sure any sort of running back outside of maybe Christian McCaffrey merits a first round pick with Shanahan at the helm.

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Both interesting picks that align with your goals - I disagree with the need for a pure speed threat at receiver as we haven’t used one all year, but the logic is the reverse of mine. I personally believe on doubling down on what we do well, you believe in having as many complementary options as possible. Both have their merits. Killins is an interesting player, but I’m not sure any sort of running back outside of maybe Christian McCaffrey merits a first round pick with Shanahan at the helm.

Well we won't pick a WR in the first....and I'm totally on board with that. Killins imo, is more Tyrek Hill than RB. But I do like that he has that toughness to line up in the backfield and incoperate some RPO type of looks. But his future at the next level is definitely as a guy in the slot, making plays in space.

If you're looking to double down....which I think Shanny has done of enough of with this unit personally, I would probably lean towards a guy like James Proche of SMU. Can be had on either day two or three...reminds me alot of Deebo. He's one of my sleepers.

Edited by 757-NINER

5 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't know if any of the sites that have contract info have updated it or not. I just remember the savings amount in 2020 is $4.5M. 

Correct. It was basically his base salary for next season. You have to pay him at least the vet min, of course, but then the rest was converted to a bonus. Here is the new structure: 

2020 📝 29 $820,000 $3,055,141 $0 $400,000 $100,000   $0   $4,300,141 2.2%  
$11,496,565
($7,196,424)
2021 📝 30 $7,850,000 $3,055,141 $0 $400,000 $100,000   $0   $11,405,141 --  
$8,441,424
$2,963,717
2022 📝 31 $8,650,000 $3,055,141 $0 $400,000 $100,000   $0   $12,205,141 --  
$5,386,283
$6,818,858
2023 32 $0 $1,195,142 $0 $0 $0   $0   $1,195,142 --  
$2,331,142
($1,136,000)
2024 33 $0 $1,136,000 $0 $0 $0   $0   $1,136,000 --  
$1,136,000
$0

Here was the old                                                                                               Cap Hit             dead                Yearly cash (doesn't really matter) 

2020 Contract details by year 29 $6,500,000 $1,860,000 $325,000 $100,000 $8,785,000 $5,580,000 $6,925,000($29,825,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2021, 3 YR, $29,825,000; $3,720,000 DEAD CAP

2021 Contract details by year 30 $7,850,000 $1,860,000 $400,000 $100,000 $10,210,000 $3,720,000 $8,350,000($38,175,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 31 $8,650,000 $1,860,000 $400,000 $100,000 $11,010,000 $1,860,000 $9,150,000($47,325,000)  
2023 Free Agent Year 32 UFA  

I really dislike that we have not added voided years onto both Kwon and Weston for 2023. So basically, no matter what, we have 6 million in dead money that year. That kind of thing is ust kind of foolish to me. 

I'll need to go back and look at the new structure and see how far off I was when I broke down what it could be when the news first broke.