2020 Draft Thread

Forge

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

During the draft process, I did not. I didn't like an undersized receiver with foot problems. That scared me. 

Same here. I still had him in that 1st / 2nd round grading pool, but I really liked AJ and liked Deebo. I liked JJAW too, which isn't looking so hot lol. The guy who was much further down for me was Harry. 

It's okay guys. Some just don't have the acumen and skill to sniff out the best WRs every year like I do. It's something your bourne with.. and it cannot be learned or taught. Just trust in me. Chester Claytonpool will be the very best WR to come out of any draft the last two decades, or my name ain't Nathan Arizona. 

giphy.gif

Just did a full 7-round mock on The Draft Network for the Niners. This is how it turned out:

1. Jerry Jeudy, WR: This was the easiest pick I made. I'm fully on board the Jeudy train if he's available at 13.

1. Cesar Ruiz, IOL: I would love to take Ruiz here, but I don't think it's a realist pick with how our staff doesn't value IOL this high in the draft. I felt like Ruiz was BPA and I couldn't pass up on him. Love was still available at this pick and if I could trade, I would've tried to trade down rather than stay here and pick someone.

5. Harrison Hand, CB: Our staff values super athletic players and Hand is the second highest ranked SPARQ corner in this class at 95%, which means he's more athletic than 95% of NFL corners. To go along with his athleticism, Hand is highly-regarded as a zone corner and loves to hit people. Very similar to Moseley, but more athletic.

5. Dalton Keene, TE: I've had the pleasure of watching Keene for a few years at Va Tech and he's very much in the mold of Juszczyk. Keene is the highest rated SPARQ TE at 80.1% and is gifted receiver. He doesn't offer much as a blocker, but he can line up all over the field and threaten the defense as a pass catcher. 

6. JaMycal Hasty, RB: Hasty is a sleeper for me. His SPARQ score is 90% (2nd in the class) and he's a super elusive runner and talented pass catcher. He's very much in the mold of Breida, but not quite as fast. He's more quick than fast, which makes his receiver skills in the flats very intriguing. I was looking for a RB to compete with Wilson or maybe land on the PS, but Hasty could turn some heads in camp.

7. Carter Coughlin, EDGE: 85% SPARQ score, which means he's pretty athletic for the EDGE position. From what I've learned about him, he's twitched up and has elite burst off the line. He's more in the mold of Ford - slightly undersized rusher with elite quickness and below average functional strength. Coughlin would need to be used exactly like Ford to succeed.

7. Stanford Samuels, CB: Long corner who can handle himself in both man and zone. He's sticky with his coverage and always looks to make a big play. Very similar to Marcus Peters. Where Samuels falls down is his physicality and willingness to tackle. He tries avoid it. He's in the mold of Dion Sanders - "we don't tackle, we cover." Samuels is average in athleticism, but pretty good from a technical standpoint. He could live on the back-end of the roster for a year or two before challenging for serious playing time.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this draft. I tried to focus on superior athletes, like our staff would do, and it lead me to some pretty interesting prospects. Ideally, I'd love to trade 31 to get some day-2 picks, but if I couldn't do that, I'd be happy with the pick I made. I think I got 2 instant-impact guys in round 1, along with some nice depth on day 3 that could provide some immediate returns.

I loved Brown coming out and he flashed his rookie season in ways I thought he would. Played in a run heavy scheme but still had a high catch percentage and 7 TDs. Obviously extremely happy we got Deebo but Brown was my guy last draft season. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I loved Brown coming out and he flashed his rookie season in ways I thought he would. Played in a run heavy scheme but still had a high catch percentage and 7 TDs. Obviously extremely happy we got Deebo but Brown was my guy last draft season. 

In hindsight, both Brown and Metcalf looked better than I thought they would. Kudos to them. My crush was always A.J. Brown, but Deebo was a 1b to Brown's 1a for me. I love Deebo and I'm very happy he's a 49er.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

In hindsight, both Brown and Metcalf looked better than I thought they would. Kudos to them. My crush was always A.J. Brown, but Deebo was a 1b to Brown's 1a for me. I love Deebo and I'm very happy he's a 49er.

Aj Brown I think we all loved and he proved he was legit. Deebo is Deebo, enough said. I was higher on Metcalf and unfortunately he goes to a divisional rival and will be tough to stop for years to come. 

I participated in the TCMD as the 49ers this year. Biggest FA signings where Sammy Watkins and Adrian Philips rest was depth guys like Cody Latimer and Noah Spence. Also franchised Armstead so keep that in mind.

Wanted to trade down a few times because i really don't think there is that big a difference between the top of the first and maybe even the middle/low second round this year. Managed to add some extra picks too by trading away Coleman(and James), Beathard and Person which all gave me extra 5ths.

2. 53 Ashtyn Davis

I like Moore but i love Davis as a FS in a cover 3 scheme. Guy has everything i want from that position and if he would have been able to perform at the combine i am sure he would get first round talk.

4. 125 Jack Driscoll

One of the picks i added in the trades. Really solid O-lineman who fits best in a ZBS. Not sure if he will be a T or a G but just too solid to pass on.

4.146 Trevis Gipson

One of my favourite mid-round edge rushers with upside. Was mostly used as a 3-4 DE but i feel his best fit is 4-3DE with some potentional to rush from the inside. Has a bag full of moves that for the most part need refinement.

5. 149 Joe Bachie

Wanted this guy last year but he decided to stay so really happy to get him pretty late in the draft. Reminds me of Borland and tested better than i think anyone expected at the combine.

5. 156 Reggie Robinson III

Big press corner that did a lot based on athletic ability in college. Can sit behind Spoon and Moseley in year one and learn from Sherman which is a big plus.

5. 157 Josh Love

Wanted to add a 3rd QB for camp at least and i feel this is a typical Shanny QB. Reminds me a bit of Nick Mullens with more arm strength to start of with. 

5. 161 Kevin Dotson

Wanted to add some extra competition on the interior and this guy jumped out to me. My comparison for him would be a guy like Laken Tomlinson.

6. 194 Darius Anderson

Really elusive RB that can do some things in the passing game. Needs to speed up his decision making at times but i feel thats something he can work on. Just makes guys miss and breaks tackles for a living.

6. 210 Josiah Coatney

Wanted to add a extra guy that can play NT. Comes in as a strong run defender with work to do on the pass rushing side.

7. 218 Jared Hilbers

Competition for Skule as the swing tackle since i really didn't add much in FA in terms of O-line besides resigning Garland and keeping Brunskill.

7. 246 Kindle Vildor

Debated between him and Robinson for 156 so to get him 90 picks later is just a great value pick. Another corner i really like and feel can fit our scheme. 

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Same here. I still had him in that 1st / 2nd round grading pool, but I really liked AJ and liked Deebo. I liked JJAW too, which isn't looking so hot lol. The guy who was much further down for me was Harry. 

All of this for me. Loved AJ and JJAW (still hoping he proves to be better than he was his rookie year) and liked Deebo as well. Was not very big on Harry at all. Just did not get the love for him at all. <shrug>

49 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Just did a full 7-round mock on The Draft Network for the Niners. This is how it turned out:

1. Jerry Jeudy, WR: This was the easiest pick I made. I'm fully on board the Jeudy train if he's available at 13.

1. Cesar Ruiz, IOL: I would love to take Ruiz here, but I don't think it's a realist pick with how our staff doesn't value IOL this high in the draft. I felt like Ruiz was BPA and I couldn't pass up on him. Love was still available at this pick and if I could trade, I would've tried to trade down rather than stay here and pick someone.

5. Harrison Hand, CB: Our staff values super athletic players and Hand is the second highest ranked SPARQ corner in this class at 95%, which means he's more athletic than 95% of NFL corners. To go along with his athleticism, Hand is highly-regarded as a zone corner and loves to hit people. Very similar to Moseley, but more athletic.

5. Dalton Keene, TE: I've had the pleasure of watching Keene for a few years at Va Tech and he's very much in the mold of Juszczyk. Keene is the highest rated SPARQ TE at 80.1% and is gifted receiver. He doesn't offer much as a blocker, but he can line up all over the field and threaten the defense as a pass catcher. 

6. JaMycal Hasty, RB: Hasty is a sleeper for me. His SPARQ score is 90% (2nd in the class) and he's a super elusive runner and talented pass catcher. He's very much in the mold of Breida, but not quite as fast. He's more quick than fast, which makes his receiver skills in the flats very intriguing. I was looking for a RB to compete with Wilson or maybe land on the PS, but Hasty could turn some heads in camp.

7. Carter Coughlin, EDGE: 85% SPARQ score, which means he's pretty athletic for the EDGE position. From what I've learned about him, he's twitched up and has elite burst off the line. He's more in the mold of Ford - slightly undersized rusher with elite quickness and below average functional strength. Coughlin would need to be used exactly like Ford to succeed.

7. Stanford Samuels, CB: Long corner who can handle himself in both man and zone. He's sticky with his coverage and always looks to make a big play. Very similar to Marcus Peters. Where Samuels falls down is his physicality and willingness to tackle. He tries avoid it. He's in the mold of Dion Sanders - "we don't tackle, we cover." Samuels is average in athleticism, but pretty good from a technical standpoint. He could live on the back-end of the roster for a year or two before challenging for serious playing time.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this draft. I tried to focus on superior athletes, like our staff would do, and it lead me to some pretty interesting prospects. Ideally, I'd love to trade 31 to get some day-2 picks, but if I couldn't do that, I'd be happy with the pick I made. I think I got 2 instant-impact guys in round 1, along with some nice depth on day 3 that could provide some immediate returns.

Really like the 1st round picks (be even better if the #13 was Lamb, but it's YOUR draft, not mine). Coughlin is intriguing, but I wonder if he will be there that late in the draft. Seems more of a 4th or 5th rounder to me. Don't know Keene at all, but if he is anything like Juice, all 9er fans should be excited to have him.

Edited by Chrissooner49er

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Really like the 1st round picks (be even better if the #13 was Lamb, but it's YOUR draft, not mine).

I honestly could go either way with Lamb and Jeudy. It's really a matter of what flavor you prefer. They're both highly athletic, great catchers, high IQ, and YAC monsters, but it's a matter of preference. Do you want the better route runner with better elusiveness, or do you want the more physical receiver with jump ball skills? 

If we took either guy, I would be very happy with the pick.  

With Tartt being a FA in 2021, Jeremy Chinn is a VERY intriguing guy. If we do trade down and happen to grab a 3rd or 4th, he'd be very tempting. I know we have Harris but he hasn't proven to be anything more than inconsistent 2nd string safety/STer at this point. 

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

With Tartt being a FA in 2021, Jeremy Chinn is a VERY intriguing guy. If we do trade down and happen to grab a 3rd or 4th, he'd be very tempting. I know we have Harris but he hasn't proven to be anything more than inconsistent 2nd string safety/STer at this point. 

I would love to grab a safety in the middle rounds to be a back up this year and compete for a starting role in 2021.

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'll be curious to see if we don't get the extra picks if we target safety. I think it'll probably wait until next year's draft unless we take a late round flier or do get hte extra picks. This team for some reason likes Harris, but I think Ward easily slides into Tartt's spot next season with Moore sliding into Ward's starting role. 

We are going to need to do some work on that secondary next year though. I kind of hope we can get started a little sooner. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'll be curious to see if we don't get the extra picks if we target safety. I think it'll probably wait until next year's draft unless we take a late round flier or do get hte extra picks. This team for some reason likes Harris, but I think Ward easily slides into Tartt's spot next season with Moore sliding into Ward's starting role. 

We are going to need to do some work on that secondary next year though. I kind of hope we can get started a little sooner. 

Meh...I dont like the idea of a guy who has a long history of being hurt, moving closer to the LOS. That just doesn't excite me at all. Tartt's physicality and ability to maneuver in and around the box is not something I feel Ward can replicate. He's a good tackler as coverage safeties go. But its totally different lining up@SS snap after snap and being able to be that 8th guy in the box repeatedly.

I may be in the minority here but if they really thought Moore was starting material, Ward would be signed to play elsewhere right now. I dont see them wanting to play both Ward and Moore at the same time. I think that would have happened when Tartt got hurt last year. 

This upcoming year is going to be litmus test for alot of younger guys in the secondary. As it stands now, Sherm, Spoon, Williams, and Tartt are all scheduled to hit the market in 2021. Alot of depth and experience we stand to possibly lose so it wouldn't surprise me to see either safety or CB targeted multiple times in the draft.