Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

Here is an interesting thought (my apologies if this have already been discussed, I am somewhat new):

Would you trade Trent Williams and Alex Smith (i.e. cap space relief) for an insignificant player or draft asset? 

Edited by Troublez

14 minutes ago, Troublez said:

Here is an interesting thought (my apologies if this have already been discussed, I am somewhat new):

Would you trade Trent Williams and Alex Smith (i.e. cap space relief) for an insignificant player or draft asset? 

Too much money comes due to the Redskins immediately to make that a viable offer at this point in the NFL year.  If they were interested at all in that route, it would have been done before the free agency period and the team would not have any talk about competing, wouldn't have signed Landon Collins, etc.  

By the way, welcome to FF.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Troublez said:

And do what exactly with all that cap space? I mean, if the idea is to run out and overpay a bunch of free agents then I have zero interest in giving away our top asset for nothing. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Too much money comes due to the Redskins immediately to make that a viable offer at this point in the NFL year.  If they were interested at all in that route, it would have been done before the free agency period and the team would not have any talk about competing, wouldn't have signed Landon Collins, etc.  

By the way, welcome to FF.  

You can actually carry forward unused cap space into the next year.  I'm not sure if there is a limit to how much, but you can carry it forward.  

But I agree with you, and with Jay (and hopefully Bruce's) jobs on the line I don't think cap space for next year is their priority right now.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We'll end up somehow setting for a third round . We'll surely screw it up . Dump 13 mill in salary and get a 1st round pick for a 31 y o LT . Sound good to me.

Sad that's what they're giving their fans. We deserve better.

Also seems the Patriots didn't offer a 1st for Willliams. Should a team offer that, you make the trade. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Sad that's what they're giving their fans. We deserve better.

Also seems the Patriots didn't offer a 1st for Willliams. Should a team offer that, you make the trade. 

Local beat reporters who’ve been pretty accurate about things say they were offered a first. Ian Rappaport who’s credibility has been questioned multiple times is saying they weren’t. I’m going with the local guys that have people inside the building. I believe they were offered a first and turned it down. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Local beat reporters who’ve been pretty accurate about things say they were offered a first. Ian Rappaport who’s credibility has been questioned multiple times is saying they weren’t. I’m going with the local guys that have people inside the building. I believe they were offered a first and turned it down. 

Sheehan knows people at Redskins park other than let's say Tony Wiley or whomever. Cooley could have given Sheehan that info or someone else he's close to.

Rap probably reached out to Tony Wiley, who's not a reputable source on these types of issues IMO. He’s going to toe the company line.

Edited by turtle28

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I take that and say they possibly missed out on the opportunity to get guys of a Greedy Williams, Cody Ford, Jawann Taylor, Greg Little, ect talent in next years draft. All players of position of need. Also leverage to move up in the draft if need be. 

I've said it from the beginning they are handling this situation wrong. They get nothing with Trent just sitting at home. Sure they get to keep the money, so what! Snyder has plenty! They don't want to change the staff for the employee, let him go! What are getting by holding onto him rather than trading him for good value? Nothing!

3 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I take that and say they possibly missed out on the opportunity to get guys of a Greedy Williams, Cody Ford, Jawann Taylor, Greg Little, ect talent in next years draft. All players of position of need. Also leverage to move up in the draft if need be. 

I've said it from the beginning they are handling this situation wrong. They get nothing with Trent just sitting at home. Sure they get to keep the money, so what! Snyder has plenty! They don't want to change the staff for the employee, let him go! What are getting by holding onto him rather than trading him for good value? Nothing!

The Redskins handle every situation wrong. It's nothing new.

They actually could get possibly more if this sets the market that another team needs to give up more than just a first to get Trent. There could end up being a bidding war for Trent’s services after a few games or around the trade deadline if Trent still won't play for the Redskins.

I'm telling you, teams like the Texans, Jets, Patriots and maybe even the Broncos will eventually want him bc they think they can go somewhere and they don't think the LT they currently have is good enough.

The Bucs & Dolphins OLs are also currently awful but I don't know if they’d trade a 1st for Trent bc the Bucs and Dolphins rosters.looks like they could have top 10 picks and they play in tough divisions..  So, to them what's the point in trading for a 31-year old tackle when it's pretty obvious that you need to continue to rebuild your roster.

Edited by turtle28

Not sure if anyone else realized this, but JHC now weighs 245 pounds, or at least that's what he's listed at on NFL.com & Redskins.com.

I thought he still weighed 225 to 230. Seems to me that he's developing himself into a true linebacker in his 3rd season from being a former college SS.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure if anyone else realized this, but JHC now weighs 245 pounds, or at least that's what he's listed at on NFL.com & Redskins.com.

I thought he still weighed 225 to 230. Seems to me that he's developing himself into a true linebacker in his 3rd season from being a former college SS.

That was my guy a few years ago I said to watch out for as he packs on and adds a physical element to his game. He looked good and he has impressed!!!

• Like 1