Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

If they can keep LeBrons minute around 28-30 during the regular season and give him every 4 or 5th game off for rest, he should be ready fully ready for playoffs. I honestly dont even think Melo finishes the season on the team. Westbrook, Monk, THT and Davis need to be the core guys during the regular season night in and night out. Wouldn't mind adding a 3rd rim protector at some point cause Gasol scares me.

You don't want to rely on Westbrook too much.  He's 33 with multiple knee surgeries.  You guys have a lot of depth,especially at guard, so use it.  This will also make resting the big 3 easier throughout the regular season.  I'd cap them at 70 games max.  With how old the roster is and all the egos that will have to be managed, this is the way.  This is how I see an effective (rough) breakdown of the minutes by position for the regular season.

PG: Westbrook (30) / Nunn (14) / THT (4)

SG: Monk (20) / THT (12) / Nunn (6) / Bazemore (6) / Ellington (4)

SF: LeBron (24) / Ariza (12) / THT (6) / Bazemore (6)

PF: Davis (22) / Carmelo (16) / LeBron (8) / Ariza (4)

C : Dwight (15) / Gasol (15) / Davis (10) / Carmelo (4) / Ariza (4)

MPG Breakdown
LeBron: 32
Davis: 32
Westbrook: 30
THT: 22
Nunn: 20
Ariza: 20
Monk: 20
Carmelo: 20
Dwight: 15
Gasol: 15
Bazemore: 12
Ellington: 4

-Ellington or Bazemore will get squeezed for depth even during the regular season.  They're interchangeable here honestly

-Those two could both be squeezed out if the trio of young guards show enough as two-way players.  THT would honestly make Bazemore completely irrelevant if Bazemore regresses to the mean shooting wise and THT improves slightly from 3

-If Monk loses his 3 again, then just play Nunn more.  Nunn will take the biggest hit from this rotation considering he's played 29 MPG the last 2 seasons, but this is the sacrifice you make to win a title

-Carmelo and Ariza at C for small ball lineups around LeBron solo minutes obviously

-I wouldn't play Westbrook without Davis very much.  Westbrook only lineups have gotten destroyed the last few seasons.  Same with Davis without LeBron.  Tethering those 2 together is more needed than LeBron with either one of them.  Start and finish the game with all 3 to build chemistry, but from the middle of the 1st quarter through the middle of the 4th quarter, those 3 shouldn't be on the court together except to maybe finish the 1st half

-Balancing out the splits between LeBron and Westbrook involving Davis will be tricky, but it can be done.  Among the 3, LeBron going solo is by far most effective and makes the most sense.  He already has chemistry with Davis and he's still awesome as a solo star

-Rotations will obviously be squeezed come playoff time, but this is how you do it to keep everyone happy and healthy for the regular season. Once the playoffs roll around, Gasol, the young guards, Carmelo, and Bazemore will all see their minutes cut I'd guess

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I still think it would be smart to sign a Center and Forward. Gasol might be washed, and Lebron, Melo, Ariza and all old. Would be nice to add more youth in those spots with roster spots 13 and 14. Leave one open spot for buy out

They're almost certainly stay at a 14 man roster so they can leave a spot open for a buyout.  But I think where they goes depends on where LeBron and Anthony Davis play the majority of their minutes.  If they play their more traditional SF and PF spots, I think we need one more C probably one who plays some PF as well.  If they play more PF and C like they're reportedly willing to do, I think they've got another wing.  I think there's another guard spot to be had.  I've heard James Ennis linked to the Lakers, and I really like that fit a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They're almost certainly stay at a 14 man roster so they can leave a spot open for a buyout.  But I think where they goes depends on where LeBron and Anthony Davis play the majority of their minutes.  If they play their more traditional SF and PF spots, I think we need one more C probably one who plays some PF as well.  If they play more PF and C like they're reportedly willing to do, I think they've got another wing.  I think there's another guard spot to be had.  I've heard James Ennis linked to the Lakers, and I really like that fit a lot.

Ennis makes alot of sense. I actually like Dante Exum too. He could be a nice under the radar signing. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The Lakers reportedly had an offer from Minnesota for Marc Gasol but declined it because they think he can have a role with your team this year. James Ennis would be an excellent 15th man but as you said I'd imagine they'll keep the roster spot open for the buyout market/asb trades. DeMarcus Cousins wouldn't be a terrible pick up either but at the end of the day I think Davis is simply going to have to play a lot more minutes at the 5 this year considering your current roster construction. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Also Lakers fans @TheRealMcCoy @Leader @CWood21

With the contract that you just gave THT, if he can hit the 3 at a decent clip, I'd assume that's who you'd pencil in as the starting two guard, no?

Probably, but I don't know if he'll be the starter to begin the season.

He may take the job at some point during the season though.

Feel like Bazemore might start there to begin the season. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Also Lakers fans @TheRealMcCoy @Leader @CWood21

With the contract that you just gave THT, if he can hit the 3 at a decent clip, I'd assume that's who you'd pencil in as the starting two guard, no?

Dont know what the plan is, but IMO the #2 guy not only has to be able to create - but more importantly, hit the shots he gets set up for - i.e. - catch/shoot/nothing but net. Is that THT? Not last years version.