RaidersAreOne

Dolphins extend WR Jakeem Grant

He mad some hot plays last year, I assume the total contract is less than 15 million.

A nice little player. If less than 15M, a great deal for Miami. 

Very good kickoff and punt returner. And special teams are like 33.33333333% of a team's success. 

5 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Very good kickoff and punt returner. And special teams are like 33.33333333% of a team's success. 

Before getting hurt last season he was also blossoming into a pretty good receiver, too. Hope he'll come back without losing a step.

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Before getting hurt last season he was also blossoming into a pretty good receiver, too. Hope he'll come back without losing a step.

Seems like Miami did it right, before paying him. Waited all the way through training camp to give him a hard look and make sure his Achilles injury had properly healed. 

Pretty sure the money is in line with what a KR/PR/slot WR makes. I like Grant, think he's got a nice little thing going.

Posted (edited)

If it's a usual 4-year-but-more-like-2 deal with very little guaranteed $ beyond this year & next at KR/PR/3rd-4th WR rates, sure.   It's crazy to invest any guaranteed $ beyond 1-2 years for 27 year olds coming off major injuries like an Achilles injury though (to be clear, Gase said it wasn't an Achilles tear with surgery to fix it - but if you injure the Achilles, it's not something that ever goes away risk-wise, it's a sign it's starting to wear out, with no real way to prevent that, it's just a matter of when it happens, not if), so if it's based on projecting more production....pretty iffy.   I like Grant a lot, but increasing his volume beyond a gadget/deep threat guy, that's likely to get him re-injured.  

Edited by Broncofan

Seems like a good player, I remember hearing some talk about him last year. 

31 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

...ok, that's a lot more than I expected him to get. Close to $10mm more.

Strange. Big contract for someone who hasn't shown a great deal. Apparently new coaching staff sees something we aren't.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's just shoddy journalism, Ian Rapoport. You mention his career catches and ignore the fact Grant is a blazing fast special teams return man that was leading the NFL in kickoff returns last season prior to injury, and received All-Pro votes for that production. 

Ian's next story: "Fins punter has 0 TD passes, team signs him anyway."