GDT 8/22/19 Preseason Week 3: Baltimore Ravens vs Philadelphia Eagles

DreamKid

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

How confident are you guys in Lamar?

I took him in my franchise league last year to stash and debating whether or not I should hold onto him.

I probably will

Difficult to say. We expect a more balanced ratio of passing/running, so from a fantasy perspective I think he could be a more valuable option than the traditionel pocket passers with his ability to gain 40-80 rush yards a week combined with 200-300 yards passing.

He won't break any passing records and we will still rely heavily on the running game, especially in the redzone.

Edited by Danand
Added "rush yards" for clearing that up
  • Like 1

Watching Brown and Boykin last night got me thinking, when's the last time we had two wide receivers with swagger? Steve Smith is probably the last guy I can recall, but obviously he was up there in age when he became a Raven. I'm loving the look of our receiving corps on so many levels this year. Now it's just a question of how well we'll utilize them when the real games start. 

56 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Watching Brown and Boykin last night got me thinking, when's the last time we had two wide receivers with swagger? Steve Smith is probably the last guy I can recall, but obviously he was up there in age when he became a Raven. I'm loving the look of our receiving corps on so many levels this year. Now it's just a question of how well we'll utilize them when the real games start. 

The part I'm worried about. We look to finally have something really special so I hope they don't eff this up. 

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

How confident are you guys in Lamar?

I took him in my franchise league last year to stash and debating whether or not I should hold onto him.

I probably will

Very valuable early in his career for sure. He’s an elite rushing QB, those guys tend to have big stat and team success early.

Especially considering the offense should be more spread out this year so there’s less chance of him getting projectile destroyed by defenders. If he’s taking off this year it should be more in the Mike Vick/rookie RG3 mold of passing play broke down, time to get a first down, possibly more vs designed runs where a cluster of guys are coming at him.

Whats more many of his biggest mistakes last season (poor ball control and wildly inaccurate passes) have been coached to a sustainable level. So that should equal reduced negative plays (good for fantasy).

I don’t suspect his interception percentage to change much from last year however as he will be passing the ball much more often.

My confidence is a stat line of something like:

3600 yds passing, 20 TDs, 11 Ints

650 yds rushing, 8 TDs, 5 fumbles

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danand said:

Was it Hill who had another block, where he was shot out of a cannon and took out the legs on the outside rusher?

It's on the highlights and yeah it was Justice Hill. Dude is LEGIT.

However, watching the highlights of this game (please correct me if I just missed some things), our pass rush is a true worry right now. Also, Tim Williams looked completely lost out there in literally every snap on the highlights of him pass rushing. No burst, no moves, just running into the OT and hand fighting. That's not the Tim Williams we saw last year or two years ago.

And yeah we have some CB's on this roster who shouldn't be here. Always a 2 steps behind their guy. 

Trace dropping dimes was great to see, and Miles Boykin + Jaleel Scott doing well is great. The highlights only showed on Hollywood play where he got stopped behind the line, how did he look?

• Like 1

I don’t see his passing stats being much different than what we’ve come to expect from Joe Flacco. As his arm isn’t as powerful for some of the sideline ease of throws as Flacco had at this age, but he’s better at progressing through his progressions (this was a strength of his in college). Their decision making is similar enough.

The only major difference I see is that while Flacco drives typically stalled and would sometimes lead to quick 3 and outs, Jackson will turn some of those same drives into yards with his feet to lead to more scoring drives than Flacco, be it only field goals or be it touchdowns.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's on the highlights and yeah it was Justice Hill. Dude is LEGIT.

However, watching the highlights of this game (please correct me if I just missed some things), our pass rush is a true worry right now. Also, Tim Williams looked completely lost out there in literally every snap on the highlights of him pass rushing. No burst, no moves, just running into the OT and hand fighting. That's not the Tim Williams we saw last year or two years ago.

And yeah we have some CB's on this roster who shouldn't be here. Always a 2 steps behind their guy. 

Trace dropping dimes was great to see, and Miles Boykin + Jaleel Scott doing well is great. The highlights only showed on Hollywood play where he got stopped behind the line, how did he look?

He looked good. He looked like he was also protecting himself as well. Like the trainers told him, just go out there to get a feel for the speed but don’t take any big hits that could set you back at this point.

I think some of those short passes he saw last night in regular season mold, he snaps off first downs and looks to juke some guys out of their shoes.

Combining Hill and Hollywood (Hollywood Hills?) with Lamar will make it difficult for defense to handle. They all have 4.3 level speed with good wiggle and quickness. One wrong read or bad angle could mean 60 yard score. Especially with Brown, can’t recall ever seeing him being run down from behind in college.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Looks like he's taking it easy a little bit and not going full speed, but he's looks so natural out there. The only variable for him being a good player is going to be health.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Reddit is the funniest place.

After 2 preseason games: "Trace McSorely is really not good and shouldn't even make the roster"

After last night: "Should Trace be our backup QB over RGIII? I think so!"

Definitely wouldn’t go that far. I think he’s shown enough to make the roster. But his arm is simply not live enough at this point. The good thing is that all three QBs have some quickness and playmaking ability with their feet.

The real question for me is whether or not this means we can be more aggressive with RG3 as a runner in the event that something happens to Lamar knowing that we’ve got 3 guys that can completely run our system. Whereas last year while RG3 was good, he was too injury prone and our offense had no backup past him to run our LJ8 system confidently without fear of running out of QBs. But this year, forget using Trace out there. RG3 is still the faster player and likely still has 4.4 speed. I’d love for him to see the field on creative sets. 

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Very valuable early in his career for sure. He’s an elite rushing QB, those guys tend to have big stat and team success early.

Especially considering the offense should be more spread out this year so there’s less chance of him getting projectile destroyed by defenders. If he’s taking off this year it should be more in the Mike Vick/rookie RG3 mold of passing play broke down, time to get a first down, possibly more vs designed runs where a cluster of guys are coming at him.

Whats more many of his biggest mistakes last season (poor ball control and wildly inaccurate passes) have been coached to a sustainable level. So that should equal reduced negative plays (good for fantasy).

I don’t suspect his interception percentage to change much from last year however as he will be passing the ball much more often.

My confidence is a stat line of something like:

3600 yds passing, 20 TDs, 11 Ints

650 yds rushing, 8 TDs, 5 fumbles

Thanks, I think I was always gonna take him back on sheer potential alone. But some great points, thanks.

will be nice to be flexible and not have to reach for a QB if a great one isn’t there. I get suckered into taking Aaron Rodgers every year and it’s been less and less fruitful.

I think Lamar, James Conner and Davonte Adams will be a the best holdover group I’ve had since we started doing it.

If he does pop off this year it’ll be sweet to have him his whole career.

• Like 1