Week "0" Gameday Thread: Miami vs #8 Florida; Arizona vs Hawaii

naptownskinsfan

Benchmark game for THE U as a program. Everyone expects Florida to win by over a Touchdown. A freshman QB making his first start against a very tough defense...stacked hand against them. College football is ALWAYS better when THE U is BACK/RELEVANT, but I fear that they are at least a year or two away even in a "best case scenario" with a new staff, new QB, etc.

40 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I'm very afraid for our (Miami's) OL. That is all. I have faith in most everything else.

I mean Florida’s OL isn’t any better. Pretty much a whole new OL. They lost A LOT. Florida has the experience at QB but Franks struggles mightily with pressure. Miami’s defense will be one of the tops in the nation again in sacks and TFLs. Florida has a good stable of RBs and WRs returning. Jarren Williams to me has to protect the ball. Obviously a lot easier said than done especially with a freshman LT and RFR RT protecting him. The good news is the experienced interior OL so if Miami can use chips from their TEs and backs to help their young OTs, they should be fine in that aspect. As far as defenses, Miami should have the advantage. Isn’t Florida down to like 3 or 4 interior DL after injuries and possible suspensions? Plus I believe they’re top safety is suspended(or rumored) along with having a very thin secondary with Wilson coming back from an ACL injury. I think Florida has the more talented secondary but both are extremely thin. Florida finished a lot better than Miami and I guess that’s why they’re ranked top 10 on preseason polls but talent wise, they’re not a top 10 team... Should be a very close game especially being a rivalry game and these blowout predictions are just comical at this point.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean Florida’s OL isn’t any better. Pretty much a whole new OL. They lost A LOT. Florida has the experience at QB but Franks struggles mightily with pressure. Miami’s defense will be one of the tops in the nation again in sacks and TFLs. Florida has a good stable of RBs and WRs returning. Jarren Williams to me has to protect the ball. Obviously a lot easier said than done especially with a freshman LT and RFR RT protecting him. The good news is the experienced interior OL so if Miami can use chips from their TEs and backs to help their young OTs, they should be fine in that aspect. As far as defenses, Miami should have the advantage. Isn’t Florida down to like 3 or 4 interior DL after injuries and possible suspensions? Plus I believe they’re top safety is suspended(or rumored) along with having a very thin secondary with Wilson coming back from an ACL injury. I think Florida has the more talented secondary but both are extremely thin. Florida finished a lot better than Miami and I guess that’s why they’re ranked top 10 on preseason polls but talent wise, they’re not a top 10 team... Should be a very close game especially being a rivalry game and these blowout predictions are just comical at this point.

Yeah that is true Florida did lose a ton of talent with those two tackles Taylor and Ivey and also lost TJ McCoy to a transfer which is not as big of a deal but still, Taylor and Ivey will be hard to replace.  The Miami front vs Florida offensive line sure Miami will win that battle but the skill guys, RB, TE and WR Florida has it by a land slide I think.  Do enough misdirection, end arounds and trick plays, lack of elite OL play might not be a big issue.

On defense Florida lost a lot of guys also but hard to not be impressed with that massive win against a good Michigan team in that bowl game.  Having Zuniga back on the DL helps but will need some others to show up, Reese at ILB and Moon and the secondary is very strong with Henderson, Wilson, Stewart and Taylor as well as Dean III and Stiner.  On paper right now they have the best secondary in the nation I feel in terms of overall depth and returning talent.  

I heard Tate Martell might have a position change to receiver?  Surprised he has not won the starting QB job but that could change in a series or two, his ability to scramble could help a ton, I bet they put him in multiple wild cat type situations just like Ohio State put him in and let him run a little last year.  Jarren Williams RS FR is the starter, will see how he looks against that Florida secondary.  At least they do not have Perry starting that kid seemed pretty bad last season.

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I heard Tate Martell might have a position change to receiver?  Surprised he has not won the starting QB job but that could change in a series or two, his ability to scramble could help a ton, I bet they put him in multiple wild cat type situations just like Ohio State put him in and let him run a little last year.  Jarren Williams RS FR is the starter, will see how he looks against that Florida secondary.  At least they do not have Perry starting that kid seemed pretty bad last season.

he's ***, my dude

On 8/22/2019 at 6:29 PM, Ozzy said:

Supposedly they wanted him to take some reps there, no one actually knows if it happened.  

IMO, you can't name Williams the starter, and pull him after a couple series.