Preseason vs Texans

Runaway Jim

It’s kind of insane how good we looked. I mean I think it was more Houston being bad, like really really bad, but still, that was an 11-win playoff team last year that posted nearly 500 yards on us last year AND we were down Tyron, Martin, Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence and Jones.

This team might be really good. Our +15 point differential last year (as opposed to say +115) really might have just been a play-calling issue. It’s surreal to think that going from Scott Linehan to Kellen Moore might be our equivalent of dumping Jeff Fisher for Sean McVay, except that we already were a playoff team. I don’t know what to do with my hands. *knocks on wood*

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

We have some tough evaluations to make and that's a good thing.  Our DL rotation looks solid.  That's without DLaw and Quinn.  So far that rotation looks scary.  Big decision at WR.  Wilson and Smith look good and then you've got Noah Brown.  Lot's of depth.  At S Wilson has opened eyes.  Questions at RB.  Pollard is a keeper.   He's going to have a big role with the club. Jordan Chunn could be a steal.  Tough decisions to be made.  

• Like 1

The Cowboys have had teams that were good up top, but didn’t have the roster depth to withstand the war of attrition that is the NFL season.

This team has a really good front line, but they also have the depth that no other good Cowboys team has had in more than 20 years.

If contract/team morale stuff ruins this season, it will be very disheartening. 

• Like 2

I agree that this is the most depth I’ve seen on the cowboys since the early 90s.  Frankly, it’s not even close.  There’s really not a glaring weakness at any position (Dak, 1T, and safety are the biggest potential weaknesses).  But certain units like OL, RB, DEs, and LBs are elite NFL units.  I like our WR Corp more than most and I’m really excited about the potential.  This is a no excuse year for JG and Dak.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Northland said:

We have some tough evaluations to make and that's a good thing.  Our DL rotation looks solid.  That's without DLaw and Quinn.  So far that rotation looks scary.  Big decision at WR.  Wilson and Smith look good and then you've got Noah Brown.  Lot's of depth.  At S Wilson has opened eyes.  Questions at RB.  Pollard is a keeper.   He's going to have a big role with the club. Jordan Chunn could be a steal.  Tough decisions to be made.  

Also missing Gregory and Crawford. We’ll see on RG this year but that’s 4 of our 5 or 6 best DLs, and we still got 8 sacks.

At WR, I think we keep Smith and Wilson as our 5th and 6th guys and Brown stays on the PUP list for the time being.

• Like 1

Receivers look good. We definitely wont be able to stash Devin Smith or Wilson. 

I rather let Noah Brown go.

Tough decisions will be made on the D-Line. Someone good will get let go as there is just not enough spots.

Donovan Wilson looks like a player.

I was amazed just how much we dominated I couldn’t see how many starters they tested in D.  But man their d which was a force last year looked blah especially up front. I hope that is a sign our 1C OL is really improved over last year.   But their offense man.  one thing they did loose an important piece but Watson is not a good pocket passer and needs the scrambling running around to open up his skill level and you don’t get that in preseason.  

And hey fingers crossed no miss kick

I'm watching the game now. 

Thoughts after 1st qt:

Not overly impressed with the starting offensive unit. 3 and out on our first drive of our dress rehearsal, with Dak missing Gallup again. The second drive was better as it ended in a TD, but was only 24 yards. It took us 6 plays, 2:33 seconds, and 3rd and goal to move the ball 24 yards, and 2 of the plays went backwards. The best play was the TD pass. Dak looks like he is about to take a sack, but feels the pressure and slides up the pocket. Without being rattled he fires a strike to Gallup will moving to his left, which is a tough throw to make against his body.

Cooper Rush looks very good so far. His first drive goes for a field goal, but he had a TD called back twice. First one to Gallup over the middle, and a 2nd screen to Tony Pollard. Both looked like scores to me and both were called back for penalties. He opens his second drive with a nice 22 yard completion to a TE we just signed and the 1st at expires.

Very impressed with the defense. Taco had a very good 1st qt. 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. Didn't look like D.Watson had anywhere to throw, as he held the ball to long and wouldn't leave the pocket. I think both of these starting QBs need to be able to run around to fully realize their talent, and that's just not going to happen in preseason.

Obviously good 1st qt. From LB Joe Thomas. A blocked punt which he recovered for a TD, and an a dropped interception where he made a nice play on the ball.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I'm watching the game now. 

Thoughts after 1st qt:

Not overly impressed with the starting offensive unit. 3 and out on our first drive of our dress rehearsal, with Dak missing Gallup again. The second drive was better as it ended in a TD, but was only 24 yards. It took us 6 plays, 2:33 seconds, and 3rd and goal to move the ball 24 yards, and 2 of the plays went backwards. The best play was the TD pass. Dak looks like he is about to take a sack, but feels the pressure and slides up the pocket. Without being rattled he fires a strike to Gallup will moving to his left, which is a tough throw to make against his body.

Cooper Rush looks very good so far. His first drive goes for a field goal, but he had a TD called back twice. First one to Gallup over the middle, and a 2nd screen to Tony Pollard. Both looked like scores to me and both were called back for penalties. He opens his second drive with a nice 22 yard completion to a TE we just signed and the 1st at expires.

Very impressed with the defense. Taco had a very good 1st qt. 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. Didn't look like D.Watson had anywhere to throw, as he held the ball to long and wouldn't leave the pocket. I think both of these starting QBs need to be able to run around to fully realize their talent, and that's just not going to happen in preseason.

Obviously good 1st qt. From LB Joe Thomas. A blocked punt which he recovered for a TD, and an a dropped interception where he made a nice play on the ball.

So should we have LEGIT hope in Taco? or is it closer to fool's gold??