Trade Rumors

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

thikn that dude from the pats still wants to come next year with no ammo to get better?

He's going to have a ton of cap room and no immediate needs with LT now off the list. One of those three picks would have been a LT (who may or may not be as good as Tunsil) and the Texans will still have a compliment of 2/3rd round picks to leverage.

It's not the most ideal situation - but walking into a job with a franchise QB, a top 3 WR, a franchise LT and a young front seven with one of the best DL in the league is an appealing situation to walk into.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

He's going to have a ton of cap room and no immediate needs with LT now off the list. One of those three picks would have been a LT (who may or may not be as good as Tunsil) and the Texans will still have a compliment of 2/3rd round picks to leverage.

It's not the most ideal situation - but walking into a job with a franchise QB, a top 3 WR, a franchise LT and a young front seven with one of the best DL in the league is an appealing situation to walk into.

its a fair point

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd take that job in a heartbeat. Its going to be much easier to have immediate success (which tends to give you the benefit of the doubt when you inevitably struggle for a year or two), and most importantly, I don't have to find a quarterback. That's so huge. 

• Like 1

Just now, mistakey said:

its a fair point

I'll acknowledge it's a rough looking situation without all of those picks. But if Tunsil continues his trajectory and can elevate the entire offensive line, that means Deshaun Watson doesn't take the abuse he takes and can play more decisively in the pocket, he can actually choose to run vs running out of necessity, it gives Hopkins more opportunity to create separation, it allows Will Fuller/Kenny Stills to get deep on long routes...

If those things happen, the asking price is much easier to digest. A tough pill to swallow, but swallowable.

Still can't get over that Clowney nonsense, however.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'll acknowledge it's a rough looking situation without all of those picks. But if Tunsil continues his trajectory and can elevate the entire offensive line, that means Deshaun Watson doesn't take the abuse he takes and can play more decisively in the pocket, he can actually choose to run vs running out of necessity, it gives Hopkins more opportunity to create separation, it allows Will Fuller/Kenny Stills to get deep on long routes...

If those things happen, the asking price is much easier to digest. A tough pill to swallow, but swallowable.

Still can't get over that Clowney nonsense, however.

you guys did just trade for a lot of salary though and the cap space is gonna go to hell once you resign watson.  def seems like a shorterterm play to me tbh  not saying its bad because you guys are legit super bowl contenders this year, just short term.  

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

you guys did just trade for a lot of salary though and the cap space is gonna go to hell once you resign watson.  def seems like a shorterterm play to me tbh  not saying its bad because you guys are legit super bowl contenders this year, just short term.  

I'm honestly of the mindset that there's a bit more long term to it, but I can concede this point. Watson and Tunsil will be big resigns, but by then we'll be in the "non guaranteed" portion of the DeAndre Hopkins deal, and there might be a decision made on JJ Watt by then (heck, Watt seems like a guy who can go the Andrew Luck route in a few years...)

The margin for error on later round picks is gone now, so no more missing on 3rd rounders...

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And possibly his pick of new coaches. 

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

And possibly his pick of new coaches. 

He better have. I can't imagine a single GM in the league who would want to walk into situation knowing he doesn't have full control of the team and must answer to the coach. Giving O'Brien so much power is definitely a turn off for any prospective GM vying for the position. 

• Like 2