Browns trade for OL Wyatt teller

sdrawkcab321

25 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Not at all a good sign for Corbett or any of our guards not named Bitonio. But hey, if this guy can turn out to be a serviceable starter, then cool.

I get the sense that they are really grooming Corbett for the Center role next year and all the other work at other positions was simply for depth purposes and so he has a better understanding of those roles when he starts making protection calls at Center. I will be surprised if he's not starting there next year. That said, maybe he's just not there and we cut him and resign Tretter. It will be interesting to see it play out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Does Dorsey get credit for moves that are led by analytics?

Dorsey has always been a big analytics GM. His "aw shucks footballers" might be how he feels, but it's not how he operates as a GM. During his time in KC they were VERY clearly operating using athletic thresholds at a number of positions. I think his anti-analytics sound bites when he got here were to placate Hueball and to differentiate himself from "the process". It was a good PR move, even if it was full of bull.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Dorsey has always been a big analytics GM. His "aw shucks footballers" might be how he feels, but it's not how he operates as a GM. During his time in KC they were VERY clearly operating using athletic thresholds at a number of positions. I think his anti-analytics sound bites when he got here were to placate Hueball and to differentiate himself from "the process". It was a good PR move, even if it was full of bull.

Well I would say Dorsey has a good mixture of analytics and being a football guy. That he doesn’t think solely as a football guy or as analytics guys. I feel like they look at a guy and try and see if the analytics match up

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well I would say Dorsey has a good mixture of analytics and being a football guy. That he doesn’t think solely as a football guy or as analytics guys. I feel like they look at a guy and try and see if the analytics match up

BUNO - for the win!

Analytics are supposed to be used as Dorsey uses them, as a complimentary evaluation tool. They are not supposed to be used as Sashi used them - they were the end all of all football evaluations.

30 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Agreed.

But I wonder if those geeks, with their reading and adding up, are happy operating in the shadows.

I heard a rumor that Dorsey gave one of the nerdoes a swirly because he wanted some credit. Told him next time he’d take his lunch money, which is significant because these cats make good money. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think he’s the perfect blend. 

22 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I heard a rumor that Dorsey gave one of the nerdoes a swirly because he wanted some credit. Told him next time he’d take his lunch money, which is significant because these cats make good money. 

Brutal, man, just frickin' brutal

LOL

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Analytics are supposed to be used as Dorsey uses them, as a complimentary evaluation tool. They are not supposed to be used as Sashi used them - they were the end all of all football evaluations.

Ugh. Do I really have to do this again? Really. Fine.

This IS how the Sashi FO used analytics. Sashi didn't make draft choices, he took input from coaches, analytics guys, scouts, and (mostly) Andrew Berry, who before we hired him was thought of as one of the hottest young scouting minds in the NFL. Looking back at the Sashi era and saying "derp, nerds" ignores the fact that a lot of their picks were geared toward "football guys" even at the expense of analytically based thresholds (think Scooby Wright and Rashard Higgins who tumbled in the draft because of bad testing numbers).

This view of the Sashi FO just isn't accurate and honestly, it's not accurate of the entire venture of analytics in general. There is no good analytical person in the country who would tell you to ONLY look at their models. Analytics is about making the scouting process more efficient and gaining small edges in decision making, not about replacing human scouting, that's absurd. Every good analytics guy IS this "perfect blend" people are hyping up like it's somehow rare.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Ugh. Do I really have to do this again? Really. Fine.

This IS how the Sashi FO used analytics. Sashi didn't make draft choices, he took input from coaches, analytics guys, scouts, and (mostly) Andrew Berry, who before we hired him was thought of as one of the hottest young scouting minds in the NFL. Looking back at the Sashi era and saying "derp, nerds" ignores the fact that a lot of their picks were geared toward "football guys" even at the expense of analytically based thresholds (think Scooby Wright and Rashard Higgins who tumbled in the draft because of bad testing numbers).

This view of the Sashi FO just isn't accurate and honestly, it's not accurate of the entire venture of analytics in general. There is no good analytical person in the country who would tell you to ONLY look at their models. Analytics is about making the scouting process more efficient and gaining small edges in decision making, not about replacing human scouting, that's absurd. Every good analytics guy IS this "perfect blend" people are hyping up like it's somehow rare.

It doesn’t matter how many times it’s said, people are just gonna believe we had a calculator doing our drafting.

• Like 5