The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

Chuck surely had some growing up to do in Green Bay but I don't see many similarities between he and Ramsey.  Woodson's issues with Callahan weren't just his issues, most of the team hated his guts.  This after all was a coach who claimed his Raiders team "the dumbest team in America".  Ramsey physically attacked his coach because he didn't throw a challenge flag.  I get emotion but that's being unstable and unmanageable.   

Ramsey is an attention hog that requires the spot light to be on him and only him.  He's a lot more like Antonio Brown than he is Woodson IMO.  

Woodson got into it with Mac and had to be kicked out of practice early in his tenor here. I think you're using a lot of hindsight of what Woodson became and not what he was. He left Oakland and literally no one but us wanted him.

Ramsey "physically attacking" Marrone is a bit much. He got up from the bench to get in his face but had to be held back. I don't think history will remember Marrone much more fondly than it will remember Callahan.

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Thus why I don't see the need to pidgeonhole ourselves into a certain pick.

I think a lot of people saying "they have to take an OL high" are basing this on the understanding.

1. The offense needs a talent infusion.
2. The only offensive positions they're going to spend a first round pick on are OL and QBs.

So as much as it would be fun to see Shenault or Lamb on this team, it's a lot less likely than Wirfs.

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Woodson got into it with Mac and had to be kicked out of practice early in his tenor here. I think you're using a lot of hindsight of what Woodson became and not what he was. He left Oakland and literally no one but us wanted him.

Ramsey "physically attacking" Marrone is a bit much. He got up from the bench to get in his face but had to be held back. I don't think history will remember Marrone much more fondly than it will remember Callahan.

Like I said, Woodson did a lot of growing up in Green Bay.  Arguing with a coach and having to be restrained by your entire defense from physically going after him aren't entirely the same.  All because Ramsey's ego couldn't withstand the coach not taking his direction from the CB.  No thanks.  Even if I'd agree that Woodson had that caliber of character,  cancers like Ramsey generally fail in their second landing spot more than they succeed.  The story book ending that we got with Chuck isn't the norm.  

Edited by SSG

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think a lot of people saying "they have to take an OL high" are basing this on the understanding.

1. The offense needs a talent infusion.
2. The only offensive positions they're going to spend a first round pick on are OL and QBs.

So as much as it would be fun to see Shenault or Lamb on this team, it's a lot less likely than Wirfs.

Wirfs is the last 1st round OT (at this point in the process) that is on my board. I don't like Trey Adams at all for where he's going to go, Alaric Jackson, if he's healthy, is going top 15, and we're not getting close enough to land Little or Thomas. If Wirfs keeps playing the way he is, he won't be available in our range as is. Gute's shown he's willing to trade up to get his guy, so that's another avenue we have. I like the depth of this class so I don't feel the need to reach on an OT just because we need one. If Wirfs is available or close enough that it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to move up, sure, go get him. I just don't think he'll be there. I think Taylor, Little, Jackson and Wirfs are all off the board when we pick and, LIS, I want no part of Trey Adams.

Trey Smith is an option but he's most likely a guard and he's got a medical issue (blood clots) so I'm not sure if he's on our board. The guy I want, and it very well could be in the 1st but I think a trade back would be better value, is Prince Tega Wanogho of Auburn. He's ready enough to play but he's also raw enough that upside is still massive. Inconsistency is key with him though. He gets that cleaned up and he's a 1st round OT. Another guy that, should he come out, intrigues me mightily is Isaiah Wilson. He's massive so it would depend on his athletic testing. 

I just like this class enough that I think we can find appropriate value on day 2, thus the reason why I keep mentioning it. That's really all there is to it.

Edited by beekay414

20 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Everyone takes a different approach to the draft. Thus why I don't see the need to pidgeonhole ourselves into a certain pick. If all the quality OT prospects are off the board, I'm not reaching for someone like Throckmorton just because we think we need a RTotf. Either trade back or take BPA. Pidgeonholing ourselves into a pick before the draft or draft process even happens, is dumb.

I'd be interested to see if you can find a single person that thinks we should reach any distance to ensure an OT (and to put a value on that, let's say, for example, more than half a round).

When the 2019 draft rolled around the Packers had two upper quality tackless in Bakhtiari and Bulaga. They chose to roll the dice on Bulaga staying healthy so they could address the safety position that had a more pressing need for a starter quality guy (to pair up with Amos). As for pick #12, they have neglected using high picks for edge guys for a while, so no complaints that they went for a guy who should be a perfect fit in Pettine's defence (ie a big athletic type as opposed to, say, Brian Burns). I can certainly understand that.

In 2019 the Packers first three picks may not have been the same guys I was rooting for (though with their 4th pick in round 3 they did get Sternberger, who I wanted (hooray!).  I can clearly see why they did what they did though, and I'm fine with it.

At this time it is looking like there could be a choice of several OT's in the latter part of round one (in 2020), but there will be plenty of movement up and down boards as the college season plays out, so that is only a snapshot view.

The Packers could even roll with the tackles they have in the next draft. That requires they roll the dice with Bulaga again (and each year that goes by, the odds of him staying healthy diminish). I'm guessing they let his current contract just run out and don't renew, though I'm torn on whether this is the right decision, there are arguments both ways. My gut (which has proved moderately reliable, but not infallible) says in 2020 they get a new RT in round one or round two (not day two, which could mean round 3). I think that is quite likely, though what the other rd1/2 pick will be, who knows ? Perhaps the loss of someone (like, say, Martinez) makes the other position choice clearer.

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

Like I said, Woodson did a lot of growing up in Green Bay.  Arguing with a coach and having to be restrained by your entire defense from physically going after him aren't entirely the same.  All because Ramsey's ego couldn't withstand the coach not taking his direction from the CB.  No thanks.  Even if I'd agree that Woodson had that caliber of character,  cancers like Ramsey generally fail in their second landing spot more than they succeed.  The story book ending that he got with Chuck isn't the norm.  

Risks like these win you SBs. Talents like Woodson and Ramsey aren't available to teams like the Packers unless you have an odd year like last year where everything falls apart. This isn't Minkah, this guy is truly a needle-mover. Someone who takes a secondary from very good to best in the league if he was here.

Now granted I'm not sure I would do it and don't think we will, but that's entirely based on financials. "Character" or the draft pick cost aren't of concern to me.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Risks like these win you SBs. Talents like Woodson and Ramsey aren't available to teams like the Packers unless you have an odd year like last year where everything falls apart. This isn't Minkah, this guy is truly a needle-mover. Someone who takes a secondary from very good to best in the league if he was here.

Now granted I'm not sure I would do it and don't think we will, but that's entirely based on financials. "Character" or the draft pick cost aren't of concern to me.

So put a deal together. What would you offer?

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I highly doubt Gute brings that brinks truck personality to Green Bay. That wouldn't fly here and fans would let the front office know it. Part of what made every fan love Favre was that he was just like the dude working at Home Depot. I think there is a line, and Ramsey crosses it. It's way different than Woodson

Edited by cannondale