Week 1: Falcons (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

Last year, the Falcons were uncharacteristically bad rushing the ball and stopping the run. So, who will have the most yards rushing this game?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Last year, the Falcons were uncharacteristically bad rushing the ball and stopping the run. So, who will have the most yards rushing this game?

• Dalvin Cook
    • Devonta Freeman
    • Alexander Mattison
    • Ito Smith
    • Other (state preference in thread)

37 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wasn't really sure which one made the most sense to post in. I like the norse themes of the thread titles as an asthetic, but it does make it hard for someone to know which thread is which without digging.

Yeah, I understand it can be difficult to figure out the post related to the Green Bay Packers literally has "Green Bay Packers Updates" in the thread title ;)

Very impressive win today by the Vikings. I gotta admit i was wrong on Rhodes looking done, because while he was out there he looked great. But he did get dinged up too much as usual. 

Alot of positives, but there is a few concerns. My main concern right now is CB depth with Mack out for a while probably, Hughes not ready, and Rhodes being Rhodes.  

I want to give a shoutout to TE Brandon Dillon.

When the initial 53-man roster was announced, lots of Vikings fans went on Twitter complaining he was kept because he won't see the field for us anyways.
When Brett Jones was waived for Josh Doctson, lots of Vikings fans went on Twitter complaining he was kept because he won't see the field for us anyways.

Not only did Dillon see the field, but he was part of some big plays today.

One example at 6:43 in the 2nd quarter on 2nd and 4. One receiver left, and two receivers left with Rudolph in-line next to the RT. Except the two receivers to the right were Irv Smith in the slot and Dillon out wide. 21-yard run. I don't think we've seen the last of this play design.

NiErjF.png

Another is the Cook TD late where the seas parted. Lots of people focused on Irv's block up the middle, but did you notice Dillon taking two defenders with him? I know that's more play design than individual skill, but I wanted to at least bring it up.

fyVytV.png

27 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Can someone tell me how Bradbury looked?

I’m no pro at O-line scouting, but the interior O-line as a whole lookedgood albeit overpowered by strength. Jarrett pushes them around like rag dolls at times, and defeated them plenty. Thankfully our offensive scheme helps cater to lineman who are more mobile than maulers.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX Sports, the Falcons fear right guard Chris Lindstrom fractured his foot in today’s loss to the Vikings, pending more tests on Monday.The 2019 14th overall pick was immediately installed at right guard.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/report-falcons-fear-first-rounder-may-have-broken-foot/

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Our 3rd and 4th guys didn't have to do anything but show up. Atlanta couldn't cover Thielen or Diggs, and that was on the rare occasion that we wanted or needed to complete a big pass.(Cousins only threw ten times.) Basically it was all about our defense and our improved running game under Stefanski and Kubiak.

Pretty much. And it wasn't just about the fact the production of the top WRs meant Cousins didn't look to the depth guys. They barely saw the field period. I'm noticing that again as I watch back the full game more closely, looking at who was on the field.

Through two drives (six total plays), here's who joined the base of Cook, Thielen, Diggs and Rudolph (note: numbers will add up to seven because Diggs sat out one play).

Irv Smith - 4
CJ Ham - 2
Chad Beebe - 1

I can provide the full breakdown later if people would like me to do so.

First half breakdown (26 plays)
RBs: Cook 19, Mattison 5, Abdullah 2
WRs: Thielen 26, Diggs 18, Beebe 6, Johnson 1
FB/TEs: Rudolph 26, Smith 13, Ham 11, Dozier 2, Dillon 1

Here's how the play-by-play looked (code: RB-WR-TE). If you need a further translation, let me know (Note: while I grouped FBs with TEs above, FBs are classified as RBs below). Substitutions or unclear depth spots are noted in parentheses. Ham is the second RB, Smith is the second TE unless noted.

Drive 1
1. 1-2-2
2. 1-2-2

Drive 2
1. 1-2-2
2. 2-1-2
3. 2-2-1
4. 1-3-1 (Beebe)

Drive 3
1. 1-2-2 (Mattison)
2. 2-2-1 (Mattison)
3. 1-3-1 (Johnson)
4. 2-1-2 (Mattison)
5. 2-2-1 (Mattison)
6. 1-2-2 (Abdullah)
7. 1-3-1 (Abdullah, Beebe)

Drive 4
1. 1-2-2 (Beebe)
2. 1-2-2 (Beebe)
3. 1-3-1 (Beebe)
4. 2-2-1
5. 1-2-2
6. 2-2-1
7. 1-1-3 
8. 2-1-2 (Mattison)
9. 2-1-2 (Dozier)
10. 2-1-2 (Dozier)

Drive 5
1. 1-3-1 (Beebe)
2. 2-1-2
3. 1-3-1 (Beebe)

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

Pretty much. And it wasn't just about the fact the production of the top WRs meant Cousins didn't look to the depth guys. They barely saw the field period. I'm noticing that again as I watch back the full game more closely, looking at who was on the field.

Through two drives (six total plays), here's who joined the base of Cook, Thielen, Diggs and Rudolph (note: numbers will add up to seven because Diggs sat out one play).

Irv Smith - 4
CJ Ham - 2
Chad Beebe - 1

I can provide the full breakdown later if people would like me to do so.

So, Doctson wouldn't have played, anyway,  even if he knew every detail of the play book, backwards and forwards.  Nevertheless, I hope, going forward, they will try to integrate him, Smith and Cook into the passing game.

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

#VikingsTwitter

Offseason: “stats are meaningless blah blah blah if Cousins doesn’t win blah blah blah”

Week 1: “Cousins is terrible blah blah blah needs to put up better stats blah blah blah”

It's ALMOST as if people will complain no matter what to fit their narrative!

Archived