College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d understand it, and encourage it if you’re not confident in your picks.

Id imagine that’s more of a concern on day 3 than anything though.  The first 2 days shouldn’t be too bad.  You should have plenty of players with multiple years of tape/data on.

Yeah I’m thinking day 3 as well. Especially with our FO which is new to each other in general if you get good value it would’ve made sense. But with all this I totally get it. 

How the lockdown laffects behavior will be very interesting, it screws smaller school guys im guessing

Also teams will want to trade up for what they have confidence in. If we have a good plan for later rounds, trading back might be a good plan.

Any team with depth will trade out to next year. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, it’s everyone’s first time doing this.

I’m talking about Berry being a first time GM and running the draft. First time for Berry and Stef being GM and a HC. 

yes they are smart and they are making smart moves but it’s hard to be confident when they have never done it before. That’s all that truly worries me at the moment with this situation.

58 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I’m talking about Berry being a first time GM and running the draft. First time for Berry and Stef being GM and a HC. 

yes they are smart and they are making smart moves but it’s hard to be confident when they have never done it before. That’s all that truly worries me at the moment with this situation.

It’s their first draft in the big seat, but it’s not like Berry hasn’t done this before.

He was head of personnel under Sashi for 2 years, here with Dorsey for a year and with Howie for a year.  This isn’t his first exposure to this.

In addition, this is drafting football players, not neurosurgery.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s their first draft in the big seat, but it’s not like Berry hasn’t done this before.

He was head of personnel under Sashi for 2 years, here with Dorsey for a year and with Howie for a year.  This isn’t his first exposure to this.

In addition, this is drafting football players, not neurosurgery.

Well it might as well be Brain surgery cause no other GM for the Browns have been successful at it  Hopefully berry changes it. 

not his first exposure but it’s a different ball game when you’re leading it and being the guy instead of being a guy who was helping

just would have likEd a typical plain draft for this regime

You always face challenges down in the draft.

I always try to find somebody that has 1 outstanding feature about him.

e.g troy pride 5 feet 11 inches tall and runs 4.3 you just have to work with him to see if he can develop.

Tight ends do they have the frames that can develop into some exceptional.

The linebackers look at what Baltimore does they get guys that can run.

39 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

always try to find somebody that has 1 outstanding feature about him.

Yep, try to find Someone who has something elite about them. It’s one less than you have to coach them up on and can focus on other areas 

9 hours ago, pnies20 said:

What's interesting to me is what I've said all along, pure grades aside.

Becton wasn't asked to do much in his offensive system and was rarely in true pass sets on the edge, and when he was, he was poor at it. Combined with his body type, HARD PASS from me.

Wirfs and Thomas clearly played in the most pro ready systems and were asked the most, and excelled the most. Thomas is a LT with 3 years of starting experience, and the biggest ceiling IMO. 

I'd be happy with Wills, but I'd be THRILLED with Thomas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

What's interesting to me is what I've said all along, pure grades aside.

Becton wasn't asked to do much in his offensive system and was rarely in true pass sets on the edge, and when he was, he was poor at it. Combined with his body type, HARD PASS from me.

Wirfs and Thomas clearly played in the most pro ready systems and were asked the most, and excelled the most. Thomas is a LT with 3 years of starting experience, and the biggest ceiling IMO. 

I'd be happy with Wills, but I'd be THRILLED with Thomas.

100% agree to this

18 hours ago, buno67 said:

Goes back to my point about when was the last time the Browns hired a veteran HC with a track record of winning when one becomes available. They had their chances this year with McCarthy/Rivera and passed for a first time HC again. They had their chance with Reid before KC and Harbaugh was available at the right price.

Instead we have hired:

Kevin Stefanski (1st time HC)

Freddie Kitchens (1st time HC)

Hue Jackson (One 8-8 season as HC)

Mike Pettine (1st time HC)

Rob Chudzinski (1st time HC)

Pat Shurmer (1st time HC)

Eric Mangini (Losing Record As Jets HC)

Romeo Crennel (1st time HC)

Butch Davis (1st time NFL HC)

Chris Palmer (1st time HC)

DOES ANYBODY SEE A TREND HERE?!