College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Ogden was a guard his first year.

Boselli if he came out this year would be the 3rd best tackle he made 3 pro bowls in his career.

Bectons speed to power would be devastating  on all the small fast linebackers we  face in afc north .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Clemson DL was nothing special this year. So using them as a barometer isn’t all that great. Can you bring up the film from the ‘18 season when that Clemson DL was absolutely stacked. That would be better film. 

I just think he gets hated cause he isn’t the #1 or #2 tackle and it gets talked about like he is. 

Lol, so what about ND? Those guys weren't good either...

44 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Ogden was a guard his first year.

Boselli if he came out this year would be the 3rd best tackle he made 3 pro bowls in his career.

Bectons speed to power would be devastating  on all the small fast linebackers we  face in afc north .

Ogden was a guard his first year cause they had a LT who started 6 consecutive years. They were not going to pass up on the talent of Ogden and then just bench him while they waited. He played guard cause he was too good to not be on the field. 

GTFO in saying if Boselli came out he would be the 3rd best tackle in this draft. Who cares what his pro career turned into. He was a stud coming out of college. He was a 3x All Pro 5x Probowl. His down fall was a bad shoulder. Pretty much ruined his career. He makes it sound like he had a botched surgery.  Boselli is one of the best tackles to come out of the pac12 ever. Him and Ogden are prolly the best two tackles to ever come out of the pac12. 

Edited by buno67

Barring we don't make a move for Clowney or Trent Williams, here's my prediction for what we do in the draft. Keep in mind that these aren't picks I'm saying I'd like, this is who I believe we're taking. 

10. Mekhi Becton, OT: Wouldn't be my top pick, but the combine numbers were wild, he probably fits the scheme better than other picks, and I think him and Andrew Thomas are the most likely to last until 10. 

41. Xavier McKinney, FS: This pick could also be Delpit or Winfield. McKinney slips to us because of the run on WRs and OL. Huge get if it happens. 

74. Logan Wilson, LB: Everybody has been enamored with the dude on this draft board. This pick is probably a LB, so either him or Troy Dye are the pick. I went with Wilson simply because the Browns have spent time with him. 

97. Ben Bredeson, RG: We've spent time with this guy too. Fills a need and was a solid member of a solid running game in Ann Arbor. 

115. Jonathan Garvin, DE: We'll take a flier on a DE somewhere in the middle rounds. I like Zuniga a lot more, but Garvin reminds me a ton of Chad Thomas actually and with some good coaching who knows what we could see. 

187. Benito Jones, DT: A late round DT is a must for depth. Jones can do what everyone wanted Danny Shelton for earlier in the offseason. 

244. Javelin Guidry, CB/ST: He's super fast/athletic and can be a gunner on ST. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Barring we don't make a move for Clowney or Trent Williams, here's my prediction for what we do in the draft. Keep in mind that these aren't picks I'm saying I'd like, this is who I believe we're taking. 

10. Mekhi Becton, OT: Wouldn't be my top pick, but the combine numbers were wild, he probably fits the scheme better than other picks, and I think him and Andrew Thomas are the most likely to last until 10. 

41. Xavier McKinney, FS: This pick could also be Delpit or Winfield. McKinney slips to us because of the run on WRs and OL. Huge get if it happens. 

74. Logan Wilson, LB: Everybody has been enamored with the dude on this draft board. This pick is probably a LB, so either him or Troy Dye are the pick. I went with Wilson simply because the Browns have spent time with him. 

97. Ben Bredeson, RG: We've spent time with this guy too. Fills a need and was a solid member of a solid running game in Ann Arbor

115. Jonathan Garvin, DE: We'll take a flier on a DE somewhere in the middle rounds. I like Zuniga a lot more, but Garvin reminds me a ton of Chad Thomas actually and with some good coaching who knows what we could see. 

187. Benito Jones, DT: A late round DT is a must for depth. Jones can do what everyone wanted Danny Shelton for earlier in the offseason. 

244. Javelin Guidry, CB/ST: He's super fast/athletic and can be a gunner on ST. 

😠😡😤

4 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Thank you for your research 

Question if you notice the theme in my post is improving are team speed at linebacker who do you like that is fast enough to cover both running backs and tight end from linebacker spot?

A LBs effective coverage of TEs, RBs, and Slots-playmakers is almost entirely a byproduct of functional athleticism and movement skills and instincts/feel for the game/decision-making.

The All-Around best is who we already know quite well .. none other than Isaiah Simmons, LB Clemson. He has it all in terms of coverage ability.

Outside of Isaiah Simmons, the best LBs in terms of coverage are Justin Strnad, LB Wake Forest, Troy Dye, LB Oregon, and Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming. All 3 possess a high degree of feel/instincts for coverage, as well as a high functional coverage athleticism. Strnad was a DB in high school and has a slight edge on Dye and Wilson but both are really good coverage LBs with Wilson being the better of the two.

A LB like Kenneth Murray has all the forward linear speed in the world but has no feel for pass coverage, looks lost, and doesn't have good functional coverage athleticism.

Sadly, none of the other plus athletes like Patrick Queen, LB LSU or Willie Gay Jr., LB Miss. St. have great coverage ability but instead are primarily range playmakers in the run game with the raw athleticism to be good in pass coverage. Gay flashes in pass coverage but inconsistent and lacks the high level instincts that the top 4 Coverage LBs posses.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Everytime I watch Wirfs I see guard all day 

like ALLDAY 

yeah hes talented enough to play tackle, but hes a guard man. He reminds me of Zach Martin 

All of this is fair enough 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I dont see a LT as a top 10 pick 

Statements like this are why it’s difficult to trust your draft crush(es). I get that you love Simmons (so do I), but to downplay this OT class is a head scratcher.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

All of this is fair enough 

Statements like this are why it’s difficult to trust your draft crush(es). I get that you love Simmons (so do I), but to downplay this OT class is a head scratcher.

My bad I meant to say Wirfs as a top 10 pick at tackle. 

as a guard I think he’s top 10 worthy

I think all four tackle prospects are worth top 10 picks, but in Wirfs case he’d be worth it at guard if your going to play him at tackle I don’t see the all pro player he could be at guard 

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

😠😡😤

The only college team worth hating is Penn State. Should’ve gotten the death penalty. Michigan has a ton of annoying media personalities but outside of that it’s kind of hard for me to hate a team that Ohio State beats every year. 

• Like 1