College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pretty much. Sean Jones was solid when healthy. That's why my first thought was Delpit, but from what others have said, he was dookie this year.

I'm getting Alohi Gilman in the 4th round. He's not going to time very well, but who cares? We need to fix our run defense to even have the luxury to try and shut down passes.

Simmons is definitely great in space and has the ability to do that. He's an athletic freak who is also a fantastic football player, and a nice hybrid in today's NFL. I also think that Winfield Jr. has some major potential to be a similar type. He's a nice mix of ball skills and sure tackling, while not having "elite athleticism". I'd love him after the 1st Round IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Simmons is definitely great in space and has the ability to do that. He's an athletic freak who is also a fantastic football player, and a nice hybrid in today's NFL. I also think that Winfield Jr. has some major potential to be a similar type. He's a nice mix of ball skills and sure tackling, while not having "elite athleticism". I'd love him after the 1st Round IMO.

Winfield can be had with our 3rd most likely. He isn't going to time well at all from what I've heard. I do like him though.

Simmons is going to play OLB. That's pretty much a given. He's a SLB that will cover opposing TE's all game long. If we're a heavy man coverage team, he'd be a heck of a pick as a neutralizer.

My biggest question with the Ravens is, "why do teams consistently play soft zones and let the TE's settle into space?"

There are too many eyes on Lamar Jackson. He's good, but my God, DC's! He's been killing teams all year by buying time against muddled rushes and hitting his TE's in the 7-12 yard holes. Play man, blitz heavily off one edge, and spy on the other. It's going to be his undoing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I will say though, you can't play man and blitz on him unless you stop the run game first. You have to play big boy football on first and second down first.

28 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

My realistic wish list:

1. Tristin Wirfs
2. Derrick Brown
3. CeeDee Lamb
4. Jedrick Wills
5. Isaiah Simmons
6. Trade up for Chase Young
7. Trade down (Delpit/Kinlaw)

Drafting CeeDee would require me to get a new pair of pants

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Winfield can be had with our 3rd most likely. He isn't going to time well at all from what I've heard. I do like him though.

I'd definitely be fine with him at any point Day 2. While the 2nd Round is probably a bit of a reach, I think that he's going to be a capable NFL starter, and I'm fine "reaching" on a player like that.

Simmons is going to play OLB. That's pretty much a given. He's a SLB that will cover opposing TE's all game long. If we're a heavy man coverage team, he'd be a heck of a pick as a neutralizer.

What I'm saying is, while he's an every down OLB, he isn't a guy that has to ever come off the field as an SLB. I think he's athletic to the point of where you could have him as your "big nickel" guy in the slot or even push back into a 2 high look situationally based upon personnel. You could have in your nickel, Schobert and Mack as your 2 inside guys with him as your slot or push safety. He provides instant value as well as an SLB on our base defense.

My biggest question with the Ravens is, "why do teams consistently play soft zones and let the TE's settle into space?"

They're terrified to play man defense against Lamar Jackson.

There are too many eyes on Lamar Jackson. He's good, but my God, DC's! He's been killing teams all year by buying time against muddled rushes and hitting his TE's in the 7-12 yard holes.

Haha, we're on the same page here...you just answered my question.

Play man, blitz heavily off one edge, and spy on the other. It's going to be his undoing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I will say though, you can't play man and blitz on him unless you stop the run game first. You have to play big boy football on first and second down first.

Exactly. You HAVE to get them in 3rd and 5+ for this to be effective. They're ahead of the sticks so much on early downs it makes it very difficult to counter that. They are going to almost always win on 3rd and 4 or less based upon the way that they are built to run the football and their advantage in the TE play both running/throwing the football.

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Still need offensive line help, but I like Isaiah Simmons from Clemson.

44 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

There are too many eyes on Lamar Jackson. He's good, but my God, DC's! He's been killing teams all year by buying time against muddled rushes and hitting his TE's in the 7-12 yard holes. Play man, blitz heavily off one edge, and spy on the other. It's going to be his undoing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry, but if he is going to directly affect our ability to stop the run first and foremost, he's nothing more than a luxury piece at that point but that's just me. I love him as a prospect though

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm sorry, but if he is going to directly affect our ability to stop the run first and foremost, he's nothing more than a luxury piece at that point but that's just me. I love him as a prospect though

I think he's a net positive against the run personally. I don't always agree with these profiles, but this is about spot on:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/isaiah-simmons/y6TJzAJbpC

12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Are you saying you don't want him because he's only a luxury as a run-stopper?

Or are you saying that if he can't stop the run we shouldn't take him?

Either way, I disagree that taking a run-stuffing LB'er would be a bad move. Our run defense blows.

And secondly, he can stop the run. He's great at disengaging blocks and flying sideline-sideline. He would be a great SLB in a 4-3. I just wouldn't play him in a 3-4 is all.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Are you saying you don't want him because he's only a luxury as a run-stopper?

Or are you saying that if he can't stop the run we shouldn't take him?

Either way, I disagree that taking a run-stuffing LB'er would be a bad move. Our run defense blows.

And secondly, he can stop the run. He's great at disengaging blocks and flying sideline-sideline. He would be a great SLB in a 4-3. I just wouldn't play him in a 3-4 is all.

It wasn't directly directed to you but the whole notion, I just feel like we shouldn't put the cart before the horse. We have a glaring need for run defense and Isaiah Simmons isn't the first name I think of when it comes to routinely stopping the run at the next level. Heck, I couldn't even remember him making any big stops against the run when they played tOSU so I cant even reference him being anything significant in the run game (though I've seen him in plenty of other games)

I personally think we all are falling in love with the prospects of what he can do (which is fine)

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

It wasn't directly directed to you but the whole notion, I just feel like we shouldn't put the cart before the horse. We have a glaring need for run defense and Isaiah Simmons isn't the first name I think of when it comes to routinely stopping the run at the next level. Heck, I couldn't even remember him making any big stops against the run when they played tOSU so I cant even reference him being anything significant in the run game (though I've seen him in plenty of other games)

I personally think we all are falling in love with the prospects of what he can do (which is fine)

I was initially sour on him. I didn't think he would be much of anything based on his early tape. But his film this year is really good. Against the run. He does a great job of sifting through traffic and engaging with blockers. He reminds me of a supercharged (aka black) Joe Schobert. He's got great athleticism and has elite man cover abilities for a linebacker. He's actually surprisingly not very good in zone yet, as he routinely loses sight of receivers crossing through the middle of a defense. I think that's his only flaw right now other than the fact that this is his first year where he has hit his full potential.

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Simmons would definitely be intriguing. But if one of those top OTs are on the board, I think it'll be too hard to pass on one of them unless we somehow get two OTs in FA, which I doubt will be the case.

Oh without a doubt. Simmons isn't happening simply because the value of an OT is always higher and the need is significantly higher for this team. And one of the top 3 will be there almost assuredly. And if one of the top 3 isn't, a better prospect than Simmons would probably be sitting there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I was initially sour on him. I didn't think he would be much of anything based on his early tape. But his film this year is really good. Against the run. He does a great job of sifting through traffic and engaging with blockers. He reminds me of a supercharged (aka black) Joe Schobert. He's got great athleticism and has elite man cover abilities for a linebacker. He's actually surprisingly not very good in zone yet, as he routinely loses sight of receivers crossing through the middle of a defense. I think that's his only flaw right now other than the fact that this is his first year where he has hit his full potential.

i.e. He's raw, trust me, I see the upside but IMO all that doesn't add up to a top 10 pick right now for us. I'm done with it though

Trade up no higher than 5 for Derrick Brown!!! Could you imagine a Fletcher Cox caliber player in between Myles and Richardson 👀👀👀. btw Larry O. has regressed to a spot starter. 

Let’s face it our run defense was horrendous!! Derrick would absolutely transform our entire defense to be elite. We suffered from not having interior  

This draft class has more offensive tackle talent than in the last 12 years. You can easily grab starters in round 2 and 3.. There also more OT depth in Free Agency and the draft than DT depth.. 

16-0 in 2020!!