College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Javon Kinlaw is also a monster.

I really wish we’d just trade for Trent Williams and sign a vet RT. I hate needing offensive line help so bad.

Trading for Williams and getting Wills at 10 is probably my favorite scenario since Wills played RT at Alabama

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

There are no great pass rushers putside or the ohio state guy, so its not worth getting into. 

I disagree:

-AJ Epenesa reminds me a lot of Jared Allen, the only thing not great about him is his athleticism, but even then, his power game is really good. Has excellent technique, pad level, and outstanding hands. He would be rock solid against the run, has versatility playing inside, and would be an instant upgrade pass rushing, you absolutely trade up for that if its available

-Yetur Gross-Matos reminds me a lot of Danielle Hunter, great athlete, great change of direction, versatile , good technique and constantly affects the game, blue chip pass rusher

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I'd love Hamler. Has he declared? He's going to blaze the 40.

EDIT: He has declared.

I'm in the minority but I think he is more quick than fast type of guy (Not that he wont run fast), but guys like Henry Ruggs, Jalen Reagor,Jeff Thomas, Adrian Killings. They all will be low 4.3 and maybe even some high 4.2s and I think Hamler will be comfortably in the 4.4s

15 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Trading for Williams and getting Wills at 10 is probably my favorite scenario since Wills played RT at Alabama

Any other year, taking a RT at 10 would be ridiculed but this scenario would be good for us because he can convert to LT later after Williams is done. We would go from flimsy at Tackle to extremely strong and physical

12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-Yetur Gross-Matos reminds me a lot of Danielle Hunter, great athlete, great change of direction, versatile , good technique and constantly affects the game, blue chip pass rusher

I think Gross-Matos is more of a Ezekiel Ansah type player. A lot of traits, but hasn't put it all together yet. He's got a high ceiling, but a low floor.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Any other year, taking a RT at 10 would be ridiculed but this scenario would be good for us because he can convert to LT later after Williams is done. We would go from flimsy at Tackle to extremely strong and physical

Yeah I wouldn't mind this scenario at all. I'm leaning towards signing Conklin for RT and taking Wirfs for LT at the moment, but I'm down for any combination of the following players:

Trent Williams (LT)
Jack Conklin (RT)
Andrew Thomas (LT)
Tristin Wirfs (LT/RT)
Jedrick Wills (RT)

I don't like Austin Jackson. He's too up and down as a prospect.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I wouldn't mind this scenario at all. I'm leaning towards signing Conklin for RT and taking Wirfs for LT at the moment, but I'm down for any combination of the following players:

Trent Williams (LT)
Jack Conklin (RT)
Andrew Thomas (LT)
Tristin Wirfs (LT/RT)
Jedrick Wills (RT)

What would be the best possible scenario of this group? Williams and Wills?

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What would be the best possible scenario of this one? Williams and Wills?

I like Wirfs a little more than Wills just because he has LT versatility down the road. Both are solid A's as tackle prospects, but I think Wirfs has a much higher upside. Wills isn't a stone-footed bum in pass pro, but Wirfs moves incredibly well for a man his size. He'd be fine mirroring NFL speed. Wills would struggle at times methinks.

That being said, I want to be a more run-dominant team that focuses on crushing faces of our opponents. So Wills and Wirfs are pretty much equally adept at that, with Wills having more upside in that regard due to pure size.

Overall, give me Trent Williams and Tristin Wirfs in a perfect world.

And then give me Tyler Biadasz in R2. He's the best OL in the draft in my opinion. I'm shocked he isn't getting top 15 buzz.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like Wirfs a little more than Wills just because he has LT versatility down the road. Both are solid A's as tackle prospects, but I think Wirfs has a much higher upside. Wills isn't a stone-footed bum in pass pro, but Wirfs moves incredibly well for a man his size. He'd be fine mirroring NFL speed. Wills would struggle at times methinks.

That being said, I want to be a more run-dominant team that focuses on crushing faces of our opponents. So Wills and Wirfs are pretty much equally adept at that, with Wills having more upside in that regard due to pure size.

Overall, give me Trent Williams and Tristin Wirfs in a perfect world.

And then give me Tyler Biadasz in R2. He's the best OL in the draft in my opinion. I'm shocked he isn't getting top 15 buzz.

Is Trent healthy enough to play anther snap though?

Vet RT in FA. Draft LT (1st) and RG (2nd). This will keep the $ amount spent on the OL to a nice level. Need safety help, a LB, FB, WR3 (K/PR), two TEs, a backup QB (FA), late round/UDFA RB.

My preferred combo is Thomas and Conklin. Tackles are then locked down for the foreseeable future. 

R2 I’m looking for an impact defender at really any position. The idea of a stud IOL is intriguing, but with Thomas and Conklin paired with Tretter and Bitonio, we’re gtg at 4/5 OL spots.  I’d sure as hell hope between guys like Forbes and Teller we could find a guy who’s able to be serveable.

• Like 1

FA this year is good for DT, Safety, and TE. 

Guys that peak my interest:

Arik Armstead

Chris Jones

Javon Hargrave

Yannick Ngoukwe

Anthony Harris

Justin Simmons

Austin Hooper

Eric Ebron

And if we switch to a 3-4

DJ Reader

Edited by Fatgerman
  • Like 1

Just now, Fatgerman said:

Arik Armstead

Eh, seems like a guy who blew up in a contract year while concurrently never seeing a double team.  Fools gold imo.

Chris Jones

Not getting out of KC

Javon Hargrave

Pricey imo.  Hard to imagine paying him, and Shelton, and then Larry next year (or extending him this year).

Yannick Ngoukwe

If Jacksonville let shin hit the market, sure.  Gonna be expensive.

Anthony Harris

Justin Simmons

Not too familiar with either, but considering what our safeties look like, why not?

Austin Hooper

I can’t believe ATL lets him hit the market 

Eric Ebron

Apparently shut it down this year and made a business decision.  Dunno how that plays tbh.  Don’t love it.

46 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Trent Williams (LT)
Jack Conklin (RT)
Andrew Thomas (LT)
Tristin Wirfs (LT/RT)
Jedrick Wills (RT)

Espenesa absolutely abused Jackson in the Holiday Bowl

5 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Espenesa absolutely abused Jackson in the Holiday Bowl

Yeah I didn't even see that game, but I didn't like him before it. He's got a lot of athletic gifts, but just simply isn't very good technically nor does he play with great violence.

Thoughts on Trey Adams? I actually really like him. I think he could end up being a starting LT in the NFL for a long time. He's massive, which would make you think run blocker. But he's actually a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. Does a great job playing with leverage, something that's very tough to do for being his size. He has good bend and while he doesn't recover when beaten, he rarely gives defenders that opportunity. He's got a quick kick step and doesn't give up the inside or outside. Has a good pacing to his game, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Is Trent healthy enough to play anther snap though?

I have no idea. NFL guys should know. I'll let them figure that out.

29 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Vet RT in FA. Draft LT (1st) and RG (2nd). This will keep the $ amount spent on the OL to a nice level. Need safety help, a LB, FB, WR3 (K/PR), two TEs, a backup QB (FA), late round/UDFA RB.

That's what I did in my mock draft.

FA: Sign RT Jack Conklin
FA: Sign FS Vonn Bell
FA: Sign WR Keelan Cole
FA: Sign DT Nazair Jones
FA: Sign DT Eddie Vanderdoes

#10: Tristin Wirfs/LT/Iowa
2nd: Tyler Biadasz/IOL/Wisconsin
3rd: Kenny Willekes/DE/Michigan State
3rd: Colby Parkinson/TE/Stanford
4th: Alohi Gilman/SS/Notre Dame
6th: Essang Bassey/CB/Wake Forest
6th: Trajan Bandy/CB/Miami Fl.
7th: Brady Ross/FB/Iowa

I didn't address LB'er. I am hoping we can restructure Kirksey's contract and keep him around and roll with a group of:
WLB: Kirksey
MLB: Schobert
SLB: Wilson

...with Takitaki being the universal backup.

• Like 3