College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Thoughts on Trey Adams? I actually really like him. I think he could end up being a starting LT in the NFL for a long time. He's massive, which would make you think run blocker. But he's actually a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. Does a great job playing with leverage, something that's very tough to do for being his size. He has good bend and while he doesn't recover when beaten, he rarely gives defenders that opportunity. He's got a quick kick step and doesn't give up the inside or outside. Has a good pacing to his game, if that makes sense.

He’s physically gifted but hurt a lot.

I don’t like him before R3, but I doubt he lasts that long.

Unless Thomas falls, I am looking at Wirfs at 10.  It appears that he would immediately have an impact on the run game, whether that's at G or T.  I read that he was an all-american wrestler in HS, which always bodes well imo for the big bodies up front.  I still would like a pass rusher opposite Myles, and although we have Vernon, along with Chad Thomas, I would still like a guy like Epenesa. It just means we are grabbing a T in the second, that most likely won't be as good as Wirfs.  I don't see that DE talent later in the draft.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Unless Thomas falls, I am looking at Wirfs at 10.  It appears that he would immediately have an impact on the run game, whether that's at G or T.  I read that he was an all-american wrestler in HS, which always bodes well imo for the big bodies up front.  I still would like a pass rusher opposite Myles, and although we have Vernon, along with Chad Thomas, I would still like a guy like Epenesa. It just means we are grabbing a T in the second, that most likely won't be as good as Wirfs.  I don't see that DE talent later in the draft.

I like Wirfs more than Thomas.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like Wirfs more than Thomas.

Interesting...

I like Wills Jr. over Thomas.

I also think Wirfs is a better prospect at his position than Thomas is at his, it's just Guards/Right Tackles aren't valued as highly as Left Tackles in terms of positional value even though I think that's changing around the league in personnel execs minds.

Edited by Mind Character

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I've seen a mock where we take Wills with our 1st...Mckinnie (Safety out of Bama) with 2nd

Is Mckinnie worth taking there?

No. Not at all.

Mckinney is a nice player that I like a lot, but relative to the much higher quality of players likely to be available at the same point in the draft he would not be worth taking.

If Xavier McKinney falls to our 2nd round pick (which I think is highly likely), the decision will be do you draft the best remaining safety on the board to fill a need --OR-- instead draft a much higher rated player at a less of a need roster position group ...

McKinney imo has quality starter upside, but he's not an immediately plug-and-play quality starter . Nothing special. Will have low lows and some high highs. No next level impact. Never gets close to a pro-bowl. Enjoys a long career playing above replacement level. Solid player. The type needed to build a winning team but not a huge difference maker.

At the same point in the 2nd round, there will be bona-fide High Quality Starters, true difference makers available at WR, CB, and RB guaranteed with the outside possibility of Guards and OTs of that quality being available.

So, the question is do you fill a need with a Developmental Quality Starter #2 or #3 Safety on the Board --OR-- an Immediate Quality to High Quality Starter WR or CB who happens to be the #5 to #7 Wide-Receiver on the Board.

We'll have decisions like Xavier Mckinney, S Alabama (Need position) --OR-- Justin Jefferson, WR LSU // Jalen Reagor, WR TCU // Bryan Edwards, WR South Carolina // Tee Higgins, WR Clemson // Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC (Less of a Need Position).

There will be just as many CB prospects available as there will be WRs options available at that 2nd round pick. And some of them will be better prospects than Greedy Williams by a significant margin.

A lot of fans will be clamoring for the Safety to fill a need. Me, I'd rather spend that draft capital on a player who is more likely to be a high quality impact starter within 2 years than a player that is just a developmental starter who's quality is above replacement level but who's team GM will always feel they can/should upgrade upon them.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Interesting...

I like Wills Jr. over Thomas.

I also think Wirfs is a better prospect at his position than Thomas is at his, it's just Guards/Right Tackles aren't valued as highly as Left Tackles in terms of positional value even though I think that's changing around the league in personnel execs minds.

Andrew Thomas had elite feet, but I don’t think he’s gonna be a good run blocker. 

23 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Besides acknowledging a potentially legendary receiver class and stellar RB group, is this draft as a whole especially strong/weak/just about average overall?

@pnies20 @DaWg_LB. @MSURacerDT55 @Horseunit @BleedTheClock @candyman93 @Mind Character @DawgX @Bonanza23 @big poppa pump but not @LETSGOBROWNIES because he just a macaw-a** buster.

I’ll check with my B.I.L.  He’s apart of the scouting community, he usually knows what’s up. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think Thomas, Wirfs and Willis are probably all gone by #10.

And I have no idea what everyone is seeing in Xavier McKinney.

that would suck for our need of a tackle but that means a QB prolly fell and the browns can prolly get a trade down or they take one of the other top talents that fell. In that situation I would want Simmons from Clemson 

• Like 2