Packers & Bears Postgame

DocHolliday

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't recall anyone talking about the drastic decline in his play at the time.  That school yard BS had him leading the league in TDs and beating the best teams in the NFC despite having one of the NFL's worst defenses.  I think the "Aron Rodgers started sucking 2 years ago" line is a bit of an exageration.  2 years ago Aaron Rodgers was a super star that carried a piss poor football team on his back until his injury.  That same football team minus Aaron Rodgers was one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL.

Lets not act like last night was all Rodgers fault.  The offensive line played like crap.  The running game was a straight up embarressment and none of the WRs played all that great.  MLF also started out the game acting like 3rd and long was one of his favorite situations to be in.  The list of players on offense that didn't play great was very, very long.  Aaron Rodgers is on that list.  A lot of things can't continue.  If that's the sort of support he's going to get from our rushing attack it's going to be a very long season for the offense.  

good post and true.

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Anyone else notice the specials night?  Not just the punts, but the kicks?

For years we've tried getting cute.  Kick it high and to the goal line in a corner.  Only to watch us lose lane discipline and there goes a big return.  End the play with a look of disgust on Crosby's face.  Not last night.  Kick it through the endzone and don't even let Patterson near it.

Punting.  Yah we pooched.  But we let him kick it as far as he can.  And the odd thing?  Lane discipline.  I saw guys breaking down and corralling Cohen.  It was a different concept than guys flying down, leaving their feet and giving up contain.

It was very odd to see!

Speaking of "odd," I also noticed that the Packer DBs did not give the receivers an 11-yard cushion on 3rd and 10, like we're so used to seeing them do. What's up with that? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Speaking of "odd," I also noticed that the Packer DBs did not give the receivers an 11-yard cushion on 3rd and 10, like we're so used to seeing them do. What's up with that? 

May have had something to do with knowing the pass rush may be better. I can only imagine what a DB is thinking when he knows there will be no pressure. Also better S play will help. Last night led me to believe these guys have some trust already in each other and believe in this unit. If that continues that will be a big deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Can we all just acknowledge that Prime Clay blows current Preston and Z away?

I see we keep saying how much better they are than the Clay of recent and I agree, but prime Clay was a really freaking good football player and we need to acknowledge that. He got old. They all do.

He was and really is still a good footballer. It would not surprise me to see him put up good sack numbers this year. Pets defense just was not really for him he was a bit small for it plus i think the locker room in GB was stale.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I see we keep saying how much better they are than the Clay of recent and I agree, but prime Clay was a really freaking good football player and we need to acknowledge that. He got old. They all do.

Yes, i would take prime Clay over any player currently on our defense.  he was a beast, and isn't the kind of player (now) that Pettine wants.  I could see him getting some decent stats in LA because i think he has something left in the tank as a pass rusher.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Blows away seems a touch strong, but yeah it's easy to forget now that Clay probably should have won DPOY in 2010 instead of barely missing it.  For his first four years, he was absolutely an elite player.  If you haven't gone back in awhile and watched it's easy to forget but he used to blow up plays on the regular.  

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yea I mean prime Clay was a damn freak. He never really was a great technical rusher off the EDGE which I think hurt him once he lost a step, but his athleticism and closing burst was second to none. 

55 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't recall anyone talking about the drastic decline in his play at the time.  That school yard BS had him leading the league in TDs and beating the best teams in the NFC despite having one of the NFL's worst defenses.  I think the "Aron Rodgers started sucking 2 years ago" line is a bit of an exageration.  2 years ago Aaron Rodgers was a super star that carried a piss poor football team on his back until his injury.  That same football team minus Aaron Rodgers was one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL.

Lets not act like last night was all Rodgers fault.  The offensive line played like crap.  The running game was a straight up embarressment and none of the WRs played all that great.  MLF also started out the game acting like 3rd and long was one of his favorite situations to be in.  The list of players on offense that didn't play great was very, very long.  Aaron Rodgers is on that list.  A lot of things can't continue.  If that's the sort of support he's going to get from our rushing attack it's going to be a very long season for the offense.  

Why can't people just come out and say it?   The Chicago Bears have a great defense.  It stuffed our offense.  It isn't that our offensive guys "played like crap" or were an "embaressment", it's just that the Chicago D is that good.

Save the doom and gloom until week 8 or so when an outlier of a defense doesn't skew the results.

Instead, bask in the glow of actually winning a defensive slugfest because your quarterback hit on 2-3 key passes that ended up being enough to secure a victory.

Not many defenses in the league are going to be as talented at Chicago at every level.

• Like 5