2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

It's worth looking into whether Kirksey will take a pay cut to stay. Otherwise, unless we're paying him entirely for his leadership, he's gotta go. Vernon only benefits us to keep one more year.

I'm still all over tag and trade. Joe Schobert is way overrated. He absolutely does not deserve $15 mil/year, which is the market for a multiple Pro-Bowler at his position. But no. 

But yeah, I think we re-sign him 🤷‍♂️.

Tayne is dead to me.

</3

• Like 2

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This is just a theory from me.

What if we resign Joe Scho, but don’t cut guys like Kirksey and Vernon? Just let their contracts expire next year. We could get compensatory picks out of them.

We don’t need to be super active in free agency. We just need 1 OT. Next offseason if we just let the 2020 contracts expire, we are looking at potentially 100 mil, but keep in mind that’s not including money added on from this offseason.

Might be wrong but if I remember correct the 'analytics' philosophy is much more about home grown talent in the draft than it is paying A level money for B level players in FA. Because of this, I expect them to work more with the current guys on the roster and maybe just try to get 2-3 depth value guys in FA to plug holes.

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Might be wrong but if I remember correct the 'analytics' philosophy is much more about home grown talent in the draft than it is paying A level money for B level players in FA. Because of this, I expect them to work more with the current guys on the roster and maybe just try to get 2-3 depth value guys in FA to plug holes.

This is why it doesn't makes sense to re-sign Schobert. (1) His stock is at an all-time high; (2) He is about to be a free agent and will have to be either franchised for $16 mil--not a terrible idea if we plan on trading him; (3) We are a perennially-losing team so will have to overpay him to keep him; (4) While being strong in coverage, his athleticism is good/not great and he misses a lot of tackles; (5) A new DC/defense/GM is entering the picture so no real reason for either side to feel especially financially loyal to an unknown to our new system; (6) We can likely get a premium pick or two if we tag and trade; (7) The CBA is about to expire and who knows if the salary cap is going to skyrocket--argument both for and against signing him for what would currently be big money; (8) He plays (arguably) a non-premium position and last year some LB's reset the market hard. That's just off the top of my head. I wouldn't be crushed if we re-sign him, but I believe the most prudent choice would be to tag and trade now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

This is why it doesn't makes sense to re-sign Schobert. (1) His stock is at an all-time high; (2) He is about to be a free agent and will have to be either franchised for $16 mil--not a terrible idea if we plan on trading him; (3) We are a perennially-losing team so will have to overpay him to keep him; (4) While being strong in coverage, his athleticism is good/not great and he misses a lot of tackles; (5) A new DC/defense/GM is entering the picture so no real reason for either side to feel especially financially loyal to an unknown to our new system; (6) We can likely get a premium pick or two if we tag and trade; (7) The CBA is about to expire and who knows if the salary cap is going to skyrocket--argument both for and against signing him for what would currently be big money; (8) He plays (arguably) a non-premium position and last year some LB's reset the market hard. That's just off the top of my head. I wouldn't be crushed if we re-sign him, but I believe the most prudent choice would be to tag and trade now.

Lot of good points. Schobert does seem polarizing in fans eyes and I sort of lean in the direction of thinking hes really good. The reasons however I think they will move on is because like you said its a new regime and the fact that they drafted Mack/Takitaki in the draft next year. I know he is injury prone now--but a more reasonable outlook would be to resign Kirksey on the cheap since his injuries and add another LB later in the draft.

Dont want to sound like a homer but Malik Harrison from OSU is projected as a 3rd(ish) round LB who has that speed sideline to sideline ability. He could be a simple replacement if they just decide to go with Mack/Takitaki.

Either way its hard to see Schobert in the picture given the pricetag he will command 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Lot of good points. Schobert does seem polarizing in fans eyes and I sort of lean in the direction of thinking hes really good. The reasons however I think they will move on is because like you said its a new regime and the fact that they drafted Mack/Takitaki in the draft next year. I know he is injury prone now--but a more reasonable outlook would be to resign Kirksey on the cheap since his injuries and add another LB later in the draft.

Dont want to sound like a homer but Malik Harrison from OSU is projected as a 3rd(ish) round LB who has that speed sideline to sideline ability. He could be a simple replacement if they just decide to go with Mack/Takitaki.

Either way its hard to see Schobert in the picture given the pricetag he will command 

Yup. I have floated the idea of getting Kirksey to restructure--he's still under contract--and turning some of his contract into incentives. He is a locker room leader and would soften the blow of trading Schobert.

Harrison in the third seems about right for his value, and I like him a lot. That said, coverage isn't supposed to be his strong point, but if Mack Wilson continues to develop, I believe he's the coverage guy who replaces a lot of what Schobert does.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Is he that much better?

He struggle in outside man coverage because he is prone to getting beat on the deep ball. IDK what happened with him but he just really struggles defending downfield throws. Hes really bad at getting beat on double moves and tracking the ball when its in the air.

However, he makes his hay by his press coverage closer to the LOS. I think he could be very solid if put in the right system where he plays exclusively in the slot to allow him to use his tackling ability and physicality. Roby is really good at defending short quick routes but is bad at defending longer developing pattern.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He struggle in outside man coverage because he is prone to getting beat on the deep ball. IDK what happened with him but he just really struggles defending downfield throws. Hes really bad at getting beat on double moves and tracking the ball when its in the air.

However, he makes his hay by his press coverage closer to the LOS. I think he could be very solid if put in the right system where he plays exclusively in the slot to allow him to use his tackling ability and physicality. Roby is really good at defending short quick routes but is bad at defending longer developing pattern.

Id be upset if we cut a decent slot corner for a somewhat better one, sinking a bunch of money into corner. 

Cut carrie and draft a couple of late guys who might be able to plau slot.

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Id be upset if we cut a decent slot corner for a somewhat better one, sinking a bunch of money into corner. 

Cut carrie and draft a couple of late guys who might be able to plau slot.

Yeah tbh I dont know if Roby at this point is any better than Terrance Mitchell. He hit a massive wall and started to regress after that 2015 super bowl.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.

Id still try to see what Randall is wanting.  He’s not an all pro, but replacing him will be easier said than done.

Yup. If he's reasonable to resign and cuttable after a year or two, it might be worth bringing him back. He has his moments of looking really good and might just need the right coaching and scheme.

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yup. If he's reasonable to resign and cuttable after a year or two, it might be worth bringing him back. He has his moments of looking really good and might just need the right coaching and scheme.

He seemed to look much better in Greggggg’s man heavy scheme as opposed to Wilks zone stuff.

Kinda depends on the DC too I suppose.