2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He seemed to look much better in Greggggg’s man heavy scheme as opposed to Wilks zone stuff.

Kinda depends on the DC too I suppose.

Wouldn't be surprised if he thrives and gets five picks in a man scheme. Denzel in year three and Greedy in year two could be lockdown city.

• Like 2

Just another thing I was thinking about regarding OBJ. There’s zero chance Haslam signs off on getting rid of him. He’s making his team $$$$$. Maybe it doesn’t translate into wins, but Jimmy is a business man.

It’s why he will stand by Nick, Myles, and Baker until that money stops coming in.

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned this before, but a really good team comparison for us in 2020 is the 2008 Carolina Panthers that went 12-4. That was the year Deangelo Williams and Johnathan Stewart both went for 1k rushing. 

Prior to that season, they needed offensive line help as well and drafted Jeff Otah in the 1st along with J Stewart. They made zero big splash signings and focused on keeping Muhson Muhammad. They went 7-9 the previous season.

So some kind of similarities that really strike me. Mainly the personalities and talent level in guys like Steve Smith and Julius Peppers.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but a really good team comparison for us in 2020 is the 2008 Carolina Panthers that went 12-4. That was the year Deangelo Williams and Johnathan Stewart both went for 1k rushing. 

Prior to that season, they needed offensive line help as well and drafted Jeff Otah in the 1st along with J Stewart. They made zero big splash signings and focused on keeping Muhson Muhammad. They went 7-9 the previous season.

So some kind of similarities that really strike me. Mainly the personalities and talent level in guys like Steve Smith and Julius Peppers.

While part of me would be ecstatic at this comparison, all I can see is the "Jake Delhomme is Baker Mayfield" subtle implication, and that makes me sad.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

While part of me would be ecstatic at this comparison, all I can see is the "Jake Delhomme is Baker Mayfield" subtle implication, and that makes me sad.

Your hate for Baker is over the top.

Delhomme had one season in his career that was better than Baker’s sophomore slump season.

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Your hate for Baker is over the top.

Delhomme had one season in his career that was better than Baker’s sophomore slump season.

I was speaking strictly in a 1:1 correlation analogy standpoint. I am certainly not saying Baker is Delhomme.

I also am strictly in the "SHOW ME 2020" category for Baker this year. He's out of excuses and I'm out of patience. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I was speaking strictly in a 1:1 correlation analogy standpoint. I am certainly not saying Baker is Delhomme.

Ah ok.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I also am strictly in the "SHOW ME 2020" category for Baker this year. He's out of excuses and I'm out of patience. 

I mean, it’s not like he hasn’t shown anything.  He had a record setting rookie season and a sophomore slump.  It’s not like he’s been Christian Ponder out there.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, it’s not like he hasn’t shown anything.  He had a record setting rookie season and a sophomore slump.  It’s not like he’s been Christian Ponder out there.

I'm not saying he "hasn't". He did, and defenses schemed around his sloppy footwork, inability to read a defense, desire to roll out right for no real reason, and make awful downfield risky gunslinger decisions. We'll see if he grows and responds to those counter-punches. I'm not saying he "WON'T", I'm saying that I want to see it, because his game has major flaws right now.

While the coaching and OL was BAD, you could make the same or worse argument for DeShaun Watson.

Baker does have 2 Pro Bowl caliber RB and 2 Pro Bowl caliber WR, to go with a great C and LG.

While his OT's are AWFUL, he's not without blame.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not saying he "hasn't". He did, and defenses schemed around his sloppy footwork, inability to read a defense, desire to roll out right for no real reason, and make awful downfield risky gunslinger decisions. We'll see if he grows and responds to those counter-punches. I'm not saying he "WON'T", I'm saying that I want to see it, because his game has major flaws right now.

While the coaching and OL was BAD, you could make the same or worse argument for DeShaun Watson.

Baker does have 2 Pro Bowl caliber RB and 2 Pro Bowl caliber WR, to go with a great C and LG.

While his OT's are AWFUL, he's not without blame.

Not without fault at all, but I think fixing a lot of glaring issues helps him tremendously.

His footwork was inexcusable.  Off balance, feet not set, etc.  I don’t expect Brady level mechanics, but he needs to clean that crap up significantly.

The schemes weren’t good and didn’t put him in great position.

We need to address the OL.

Another offseason with the receivers to build trust (and for them to get healthy) will help.

Hopefully applying analytics to what he does and doesn’t do well schematically will improve a lot as well. (Less empty sets, more 2 TE personnel, etc.)

He wasn’t great last year at all, but he had a lot working against him.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not without fault at all, but I think fixing a lot of glaring issues helps him tremendously.

His footwork was inexcusable.  Off balance, feet not set, etc.  I don’t expect Brady level mechanics, but he needs to clean that crap up significantly.

I forgot to say "showed up to camp/the preseason clearly overweight and out of shape".

The schemes weren’t good and didn’t put him in great position.

100% agree.

We need to address the OL.

100% agree.

Another offseason with the receivers to build trust (and for them to get healthy) will help.

Hopefully getting OBJ into camp as well

Hopefully applying analytics to what he does and doesn’t do well schematically will improve a lot as well. (Less empty sets, more 2 TE personnel, etc.)

Watching us go EMPTY time after time when I said (and most also agreed, especially @candyman93) that he was AWFUL in Empty and the stats backed it up was purely infuriating. 

He wasn’t great last year at all, but he had a lot working against him.

That's very fair, but it's also fair to note that he wasn't without help at the skill positions and interior OL. While a lot of his issues were scheme based, if he can't identify things presnap or get through his progressions quicker, he's going to continue to struggle. In the BIG XII you can get away with sloppy mechanics, especially behind that unbelievable OL that he had with multiple 1st Round/Pro Bowl guys he had at TE and WR, and arguably the best offensive mind in the NCAA. He found out the hard way last year that's not the case.

I want CHIPPY Baker back. He seemed disinterested all year last year, and I can't be the only one who saw this.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's very fair, but it's also fair to note that he wasn't without help at the skill positions and interior OL. While a lot of his issues were scheme based, if he can't identify things presnap or get through his progressions quicker, he's going to continue to struggle.

For sure, but it seems they put too much on his plate last year and didn’t adjust until after the bye (after which his numbers improved).

In the BIG XII you can get away with sloppy mechanics, especially behind that unbelievable OL that he had with multiple 1st Round/Pro Bowl guys he had at TE and WR, and arguably the best offensive mind in the NCAA. He found out the hard way last year that's not the case.

For sure, hope it was a wake up call.

I want CHIPPY Baker back. He seemed disinterested all year last year, and I can't be the only one who saw this.

Interesting.  I saw a dude who seemed almost star struck by OBJ and was willing to defer to him leadership wise.

I need the take charge version of Baker to return.  The guy who tells vets to shut up and get in line.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure, but it seems they put too much on his plate last year and didn’t adjust until after the bye (after which his numbers improved).

Maybe Nick Chubb did something unspeakable to Freddie.

Interesting.  I saw a dude who seemed almost star struck by OBJ and was willing to defer to him leadership wise.

I'm talking about in press conferences, on the sidelines after turnovers, etc. He was mopey and lethargic. JMHO

I need the take charge version of Baker to return.  The guy who tells vets to shut up and get in line.

YES!

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the (low key) worst thing that happened to the team and Mayfield's development this year was all the veterans chastising him and telling Mayfield to not talk about guys when he commented on Duke's weird camp holdout. I get it, everyone wants to get their money and good for them. But Duke already had his, he was getting bank, and just didn't like his role (who would, I get that to). Telling Mayfield not to talk about that sent the signal that "You're our leader... until you do something we don't like."

I really think that shook him up. He's never had to deal with money as a part of his leadership before. I feel like early in camp he really seemed to still be acting like that kind of leader and then late camp stopped. That Duke incident is the only thing I can think of that easily explains the transition. He started defaulting to letting the people around him call the shots and I think that translated to the field where he force fed OBJ and Landry at times, where last year it seemed like he spread it out and hit the open man better. (Sidelining his third/fourth most comfortable targets in Higgins and Njoku didn't help this either.)

• Like 3