2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

14 minutes ago, brownie man said:

And then second question 

if we did sign a tackle like Jack Conklin anyway you guys think moving Chris Hubbard to RG could possibly be a move?

maybe he upgrades our position there. He is athletic so maybe in a ZBS RG will mask his Deficiencies. 

that would leave us to LT to address in the draft

I think it would be worth keeping hubbard and trying him out at RG.  He is under contract and if he is a better guard than tackle then perfect.

I actually think we need to re-sign Greg Robinson.

Not necessarily saying he plays this year, but give him a 2 year 14-15 million dollar contract with an out after 1 year and only 7-8 million.

It gives us draft flexibility and quite frankly sees how good he could be in the zone blocking scheme.

At Auburn he played it a lot there, and he is definitely athletic enough.

Then draft a guy either first or second round.  If one of the best is available at 10, great, if they fall in love with Brown or Epenesa or Simmons, and one of them falls? great!  Or they can trade down.  Filling all spots gives us the flexibility we need to take the best players available.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I'll be shocked if Hubbard is still on the roster next year. Only way I'd keep him around is if he restructured his contract to be much more team-friendly as a backup-caliber contract.

Yeah 7-8 million or whatever he’s getting is far too much for a backup or fringe starting OL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I'll be shocked if Hubbard is still on the roster next year. Only way I'd keep him around is if he restructured his contract to be much more team-friendly as a backup-caliber contract.

I don’t even want him as a back up

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Makes a lot of senses to go after him. Maybe even bump out to RT...who knows 

Eh.. I don't think you pay a guy like Scherff big money to then make him switch positions. You'd pay him to play guard, which is where he's excelled at.

If we miss out on Conklin then I'd be totally cool giving Scherff a big contract.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Eh.. I don't think you pay a guy like Scherff big money to then make him switch positions. You'd pay him to play guard, which is where he's excelled at.

If we miss out on Conklin then I'd be totally cool giving Scherff a big contract.

I only bring it up cause he was such a stud in college at Tackle.  I just hate the idea of throwing so much money at a guard when we need a tackle bad! Especially if outside zone is going to be a huge aspect. We need tackles who can set that edge. I feel like they bumped him to RG cause they had Moses at RT. So they found a spot for him. They had to believe he could play tackle if they were willing to take him top5. The way Moses developed. They just kept those two as the right side. In Cleveland he has a chance to slide out

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I only bring it up cause he was such a stud in college at RT.  I just hate the idea of throwing so much money at a guard when we need a tackle bad! Especially if outside zone is going to be a huge aspect. We need tackles who can set that edge. I feel like they bumped him to RG cause they had Moses at RT. So they found a spot for him. They had to believe he could play tackle if they were willing to take him top5. The way Moses developed. They just kept those two as the right side. In Cleveland he has a chance to slide out

If the coaching staff believes he can play equally as well at RG, then cool with me. I just think it'd be a bit risky spending big bucks on him to ask him to switch to RT when we don't know how good he'd be playing there at this level.

I would certainly agree that we need a RT more than a RG, but it's not like we're set at RG either. Bitonio-Tretter-Scherff would make for a really nice interior.

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If the coaching staff believes he can play equally as well at RG, then cool with me. I just think it'd be a bit risky spending big bucks on him to ask him to switch to RT when we don't know how good he'd be playing there at this level.

I would certainly agree that we need a RT more than a RG, but it's not like we're set at RG either. Bitonio-Tretter-Scherff would make for a really nice interior.

Well the best thing is, we have the guy who can give us the best scouting report on him

I know we need a guard but tackles are way more important. Rather solve that first. Would hate to throw big money at a guard and have no idea what to do at RT or even LT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well the best thing is, we have the guy who can give us the best scouting report on him

I know we need a guard but tackles are way more important. Rather solve that first. Would hate to throw big money at a guard and have no idea what to do at RT or even LT

I'm very much okay going into the year gambling on one of our young developmental guards taking a step forward in the wide zone under Callahan and Stefanski. Drew Forbes, Wyatt Teller, or Malcolm Pridgeon.

I'm very much NOT okay going into the season with either of our current tackles in a starter role. So, IMO, while I would love to get Scherff and maul on the interior for days, I really don't think we do that unless Callahan is confident in him making the move to RT. But if he is, sign me the heck up.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'm very much okay going into the year gambling on one of our young developmental guards taking a step forward in the wide zone under Callahan and Stefanski. Drew Forbes, Wyatt Teller, or Malcolm Pridgeon.

I'm very much NOT okay going into the season with either of our current tackles in a starter role. So, IMO, while I would love to get Scherff and maul on the interior for days, I really don't think we do that unless Callahan is confident in him making the move to RT. But if he is, sign me the heck up.

This. I think the rg spot will be fine when we get a competent tackle next to him.