2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

If there’s anything I hope Andrew learned from Sashi, it’s the importance of optics in pro sports. Here’s what I mean by that. Sashis idea was brilliant, but you have to be able to sell hope.

You can’t allow a team to go 0-16 and 1-15. Now a large part of that is due to Hue Jackson. However, another part was draft picks busting or not making an immediate impact. That’s a killer because if your team let a bunch of guys go (this was smart though) how do you expect fans to buy in? The team only had cap space and draft picks, that’s not a tangible thing producing on the field. Let’s be frank, that’s all fans care about. 

Andrew Berry can do almost the EXACT same thing as Sashi and still win. Here’s what my advice would be:

1. Do not trade any box office players. No matter how much you may or may not want to improve the lockeroom. Other guys learn to deal with big name guys as long as they’re ballers. Do NOT trade the following guys or you just started the clock for your departure: Baker, Myles, Chubb, OBJ, Jarvis, and Denzel. It also puts you in good graces with Jimmy because he can gain revenue from those guys. Draft their future replacements, but do not be ultra aggressive right now.

2. You can let guys go / cut them. You can let go of big name guys, but there’s a trick to it. You have to add starters to make it look like you still are trying to compete. He can let Schobert, Kirksey, Vernon, and Randall go. However, you sure as **** better add a starting caliber offensive linemen or 2. You can sell to the fanbase that you wanted to allocate resources to areas that needed them more. If you purely just let dudes go, you look like the Cleveland Indians.

3. You can trade down 10,000 times if you want to, but this traces back to what I said. You better have added some starters on the offensive line.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If there’s anything I hope Andrew learned from Sashi, it’s the importance of optics in pro sports. Here’s what I mean by that. Sashis idea was brilliant, but you have to be able to sell hope.

You can’t allow a team to go 0-16 and 1-15. Now a large part of that is due to Hue Jackson. However, another part was draft picks busting or not making an immediate impact. That’s a killer because if your team let a bunch of guys go (this was smart though) how do you expect fans to buy in? The team only had cap space and draft picks, that’s not a tangible thing producing on the field. Let’s be frank, that’s all fans care about. 

Andrew Berry can do almost the EXACT same thing as Sashi and still win. Here’s what my advice would be:

1. Do not trade any box office players. No matter how much you may or may not want to improve the lockeroom. Other guys learn to deal with big name guys as long as they’re ballers. Do NOT trade the following guys or you just started the clock for your departure: Baker, Myles, Chubb, OBJ, Jarvis, and Denzel. It also puts you in good graces with Jimmy because he can gain revenue from those guys. Draft their future replacements, but do not be ultra aggressive right now.

2. You can let guys go / cut them. You can let go of big name guys, but there’s a trick to it. You have to add starters to make it look like you still are trying to compete. He can let Schobert, Kirksey, Vernon, and Randall go. However, you sure as **** better add a starting caliber offensive linemen or 2. You can sell to the fanbase that you wanted to allocate resources to areas that needed them more. If you purely just let dudes go, you look like the Cleveland Indians.

3. You can trade down 10,000 times if you want to, but this traces back to what I said. You better have added some starters on the offensive line.

Agree with all of this but letting Schobert walk unless we really believe we can't get at least a third for him tagged. It'd be a bad look.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Good post @mind candyman

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe Nick Chubb did something unspeakable to Freddie.

I'm talking about in press conferences, on the sidelines after turnovers, etc. He was mopey and lethargic. JMHO

YES!

I chalk that up to losing honestly. He hates losing.

I’m a lot more optimistic than I was say 3-4 years ago. The team greatly underachieved last year and had injuries / suspensions that crippled them. You can’t predict injuries, but we can sure as hell control the suspension part.

Baker will play better. He will be protected better with the assumed upgrades in offensive line talent and a scheme that suits him better.

Our schedule will be a lot more travel friendly as well. We only travel outside of our time zone once and that’s @ Dallas. Last year traveling to Denver, Arizona, and San Fran had to suck. Outside of Dallas, the furthest west we travel is Nashville.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m a lot more optimistic than I was say 3-4 years ago. The team greatly underachieved last year and had injuries / suspensions that crippled them. You can’t predict injuries, but we can sure as hell control the suspension part.

Baker will play better. He will be protected better with the assumed upgrades in offensive line talent and a scheme that suits him better.

Our schedule will be a lot more travel friendly as well. We only travel outside of our time zone once and that’s @ Dallas. Last year traveling to Denver, Arizona, and San Fran had to suck. Outside of Dallas, the furthest west we travel is Nashville.

Damn, that’s a favorable travel schedule.

• Like 1