FA 2020

drfrey13

From the Athletic titled Execs unfiltered 

Las Vegas Raiders

The Raiders addressed their defense by adding linebacker Cory Littleton, defensive end Carl Nassib, linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski, cornerback Eli Apple, defensive tackle Maliek Collins and safety Jeff Heath. More on those guys in a minute. First, the Marcus Mariota signing.

“I think Mariota starts 10-plus games for them and fits well with what Jon Gruden wants to do,” an evaluator who was high on Mariota coming out of Oregon said. “If Jon loved Derek Carr, why is Marcus Mariota there? If you’ve got all the confidence in the world with your quarterback, why was Mariota one of the very early signings in free agency, maybe even the first quarterback announcement?”

Mariota is the first quarterback Gruden has signed to a contract of any significance since returning to the sideline before the 2018 season. That doesn’t necessarily mean Carr is imperiled, but the evaluator quoted above did see comparisons between Mariota and Rich Gannon, the mobile quarterback Gruden developed into a league MVP and Super Bowl starter nearly two decades ago, after Gannon’s career started slowly in Kansas City.

“I do know the head coach loves Mariota,” an exec said. “It is probably a good mix for Mariota and Carr personality-wise. Marcus is not going to come in and cause problems. He will work and do his job. I do think there is a Gannon comparison and I think Jon has a knack for resurrecting those guys.”

The Raiders’ defensive additions were not as sexy, but they did seem purposeful.

“They are building through the middle on defense,” an evaluator said. “Heath is an example of that. He will be in the box. Buffalo did something similar when they got the two safeties in (Jordan) Poyer and (Micah) Hyde. They drafted (Tremaine) Edmunds. They loaded up on the D-tackle spot. The Raiders are only going as far as their quarterback, but they are going to be a tough, physical team.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Watch him be a Pro Bowler there....the football gods spiting the Raiders as always. 

You can’t help but be hyperbolic lmao jk

2 mins ago we thought he was drunk on skidrow, literally.... now your talking pro bowl?

Edited by jimkelly02

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

You can’t help but be hyperbolic lmao jk

2 mins ago we thought he was drunk on skidrow, literally.... now your talking pro bowl?

You read wayyy too much into comments, and often times misunderstand them completely. And I mean, completely. 

In no way did I predict him becoming a Pro Bowler. I was making a joke that watch him become a Pro Bowler with the Raiders luck. 

I shouldn’t have to explain these to you. No one on this forum thought I was predicting Aldon Smith becoming a Pro Bowler. The way you interpret comments sometimes could use a lotttt of work. 

Edited by BayRaider

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You read wayyy too much into comments, and often times misunderstand them completely. And I mean, completely. 

In no way did I predict him becoming a Pro Bowler. I was making a joke that watch him become a Pro Bowler with the Raiders luck. 

I shouldn’t have to explain these to you. No one on this forum thought I was predicting Aldon Smith becoming a Pro Bowler. The way you interpret comments sometimes could use a lotttt of work. 

Smh. I was just kidding... “JK” means just kidding.... 

no one thought you were serious, no one thought I was serious.... and you know why? Cuz I said I was kidding

Edited by jimkelly02

27 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Smh. I was just kidding... “JK” means just kidding.... 

no one thought you were serious, no one thought I was serious.... and you know why? Cuz I said I was kidding

After the JK you made a comment:

”now your talking pro bowl” you obviously didn’t think I was really joking. 

Plus it bothered you enough to quote. There was nothing to really quote from that post, good or bad. It was just a jokingly reply. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

After the JK you made a comment:

”now your talking pro bowl” you obviously didn’t think I was really joking. 

Plus it bothered you enough to quote. There was nothing to really quote from that post, good or bad. It was just a jokingly reply. 

Dude I was just busting balls.  I’m always getting on you for saying player A will be “elite” “great” etc etc

so when you joked about Smiths prolly going to the pro bowl... I said your doing it again!  Obviously you weren’t, we were both joking... 

I guess you can’t joke with some people