FA 2020

drfrey13

Sign Logan Ryan, trade Gabe and our 5th rounder to Minn for Anthony Harris and our secondary is set.. both CB and S positions become less of a need; although I’d still potentially trade down at 19 and grab a CB later in the first (Jaylon Johnson/AJ Terrell to push Ryan/Joyner for reps) 

Edited by JarrodR86

2 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

Sign Logan Ryan, trade Gabe and our 5th rounder to Minn for Anthony Harris and our secondary is set.. both CB and S positions become less of a need; although I’d still potentially trade down at 19 and grab a CB later in the first (Jaylon Johnson/AJ Terrell to push Ryan/Joyner for reps) 

Logan Ryan is best used at slot CB. Doesn’t really makes sense with the Raiders since they’re so stuck on Joyner playing slot. 

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Logan Ryan is best used at slot CB. Doesn’t really makes sense with the Raiders since they’re so stuck on Joyner playing slot. 

60% of his reps were in the slot last year so I get that but I’m sure he can play consistently outside as well.. or may the best man win and if it’s at the slot over Joyner, we cut our losses and move forward.. then a rookie CB, Isiah Johnson, etc can compete outside opposite Mullens if that’s the case.. 

4 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

We don't know that that will be the plan going forward tho. They could switch gears and move him to the starting FS role next to Abrams and draft a corner high compete with Johnson to play the #2 role and sign a vet to compete with Nelson and Lawson in the slot.

Logan said he won’t take Less than he made last year (9-10M) and that’s why he’s a FA still.  I could see him coming down a little but not drastically.  Harris would cost 7-14M, depending on if we sign him for 1 year or multi year and thE structure.  We can’t afford both. That’s not realistic.

1 minute ago, JarrodR86 said:

60% of his reps were in the slot last year so I get that but I’m sure he can play consistently outside as well.. or may the best man win and if it’s at the slot over Joyner, we cut our losses and move forward.. then a rookie CB, Isiah Johnson, etc can compete outside opposite Mullens if that’s the case.. 

Chris Harris said No to the Raiders because they wouldn’t allow him to play the slot. There is no competition for slot CB sadly. So can’t see the Raiders not allowing Harris to complete for that position who is a legit top 5 slot CB and then giving Logan Ryan that chance.

Logan Ryan doesn’t even have the body type the Raiders like from their outside CBs. Very hard for me to see him as a real option. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Logan said he won’t take Less than he made last year (9-10M) and that’s why he’s a FA still.  I could see him coming down a little but not drastically.  Harris would cost 7-14M, depending on if we sign him for 1 year or multi year and thE structure.  We can’t afford both. That’s not realistic.

We have 11-13 mil in cap space now depending on where you look.. Gabe traded would take that to 22.5 on the low end.. So Even Logan at 10 mil and Harris at say 12 mil would work and guys like Trent or Carr could always restructure to free up some cap as well.. so not sure how it’s not realistic.. 

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Chris Harris said No to the Raiders because they wouldn’t allow him to play the slot. There is no competition for slot CB sadly. So can’t see the Raiders not allowing Harris to complete for that position who is a legit top 5 slot CB and then giving Logan Ryan that chance.

Logan Ryan doesn’t even have the body type the Raiders like from their outside CBs. Very hard for me to see him as a real option. 

At the end of the day it doesn’t need to be Ryan, but if we can get someone better in here than Apple to potentially play outside CB, it needs to happen.. adding just a rookie in the draft and settling on the position doesn’t make me feel too confident.. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

We have 11-13 mil in cap space now depending on where you look.. Gabe traded would take that to 22.5 on the low end.. So Even Logan at 10 mil and Harris at say 12 mil would work and guys like Trent or Carr could always restructure to free up some cap as well.. so not sure how it’s not realistic.. 

Agree Carr, brown , willams all can be restructured and pending on what we are doing with Jackson. We have the ability to still make things happen 

19 minutes ago, raider4567 said:

Agree Carr, brown , willams all can be restructured and pending on what we are doing with Jackson. We have the ability to still make things happen 

Exactly my point.. we just need more depth and if we’re able to add a CB like Ryan who can play outside and give us more flexibility and different looks than so be it.. we can keep Gabe, restructure a guy or 2 and even still sign Ryan (Or Kirkpatrick, Breeland, anyone really) and Randall and feel much better that we have competent bodies out there at CB and S.. Sets us up to go BPA as well instead of having to reach on a guy just to fill a need.. Even then with it being stop gap moves, I’d still think WR/CB/S/LB should be the move with our first 4 picks this year and we can continue to build the trenches next year. 

1 hour ago, JarrodR86 said:

Oh if we trade/cut Gabe we Can def Afford both,, I didn’t see that you said that when I read it first time.  My bad I text and drive some times lol.

39 minutes ago, raider4567 said:

I’m all for restructuring if it makes sense but this is Carr’s make it or be gone year so he’s not an ideal candidate, if your not trying to accrue dead cap in ‘21.  Same with Williams.  Brown is a good candidate because his ‘20 cap hit is so high and his ‘21-‘22 hits are relatively low in comparison.  
we have 10.7M we can get the value deal FA’s we want/need with that.  There’s no reason to “buy on credit” for players who are one year and gone, barely mid level guys.  
in the grand scheme of things any player we get to replace Apple isn’t going to change the outcome of the season drastically even if they play a bit better. 
yes we can restructure and clear 20M+ in cap with all those guys and suffer dead cap hits later, but why?  That doesn’t follow our rebuilding plan.  And frankly there ain’t anyone out there that’s worth spending more than what we got now.

Now adding Randall, I'd like a 3-4 mil CB and if we trade Gabe and restructure one more vet I'd look at Clowney on a 1 year 15 mil but not promise the no tag. So if he balls we can tag him. No loss of draft capital and would fit our current scheme. Then BPA in draft with adding two WR's (1st/3rd) Trade one of the 1sts for two 2nds and get a CB and S to learn behind Randall. A LB and G in the 3rd, RB in 4th and another LB in the 5th. 

No matter what happens I'm liking how were playing FA and Apple I'd been fine with at 3-4 but 6 was more than I would have thought. Nice move there with all the CB's coming available recently.

• Like 1

1. Released Gabe Jackson
    (Saved: $9,600,000)
  2. Released Nicholas Morrow
    (Saved: $3,259,000)
  3. Released Erik Harris
    (Saved: $3,250,000)
  4. Released Nathan Peterman
    (Saved: $2,133,000)
  5. Released Derek Carrier
    (Saved: $1,850,000)
  6. Released DeShone Kizer
    (Saved: $1,139,784)
  7. Released Zay Jones
    (Saved: $1,389,522)

Any of these could be cut or traded without much drop off in talent.  This gives us $22+ million.  After the draft there might not be a need or room for any of them.  Only one I really want to hold onto would be Jackson but if we get a good return on a trade and/or cap space I would do it.  Still can not believe we brought back Harris for more than what Joseph got.  I like Harris because he plays with heart but we do not need to spend $3+ million on our 4th safety.