FA 2020

drfrey13

On 8/25/2020 at 4:51 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I always felt like Curtis Riley didn't get a fair shake on this team. He was playing safety without any type of pass rush, this was before Max and Ferrell came on strong.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/08/steelers-increasingly-getting-excited-about-curtis-riley-with-each-passing-day/

Curtis Riley is trash. Even when he played for the Giants he had a ton of lapses in coverage, gave up a ton of yards, and missed a ton of tackles. The only reason he even had a little bit of hype is because he had 4 INT with the Giants. But overall he has been terrible in both of the seasons that he has actually had consistent snaps. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

As teams prepare for the season, being ready for anything at QB is important. To that end, the QB workouts have increased. An example: The #Raiders are hosting former #Giants 4th round pick QB Kyle Lauletta and ex-#Chiefs QB Kyle Shurmur today for workouts.

I feel like Lauletta screams "Gruden QB" in the making.

Know virtually nothing about Shurmur as a player

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming that we're looking for a practice squad QB?

With the cast of characters we've worked out recently (Cardale Jones, Lauletta, Shurmur) one has to assume that's the case. 

Nathan Peterman, honestly, is a PS QB himself- and not a particularly good one based on his on-field play (maybe he turns into a capable backup, but I'm skeptical). We haven't heard much about him either. 

Even if we were to roll into the season with Carr, Mariota, and Peterman, it's probably not a terrible idea to have someone on the PS. Carr and Mariota both have injury lists as long as something attached to Visanthe Shiancoe. One will possibly wind up as emergency trade bait (probably Mariota). 

The guys we've worked out at least have a decent pedigree, and Gruden has always been one for the pedigree slightly mobile types (Gannon, Garcia, trading for Plummer, Brad Johnson, Rob Johnson, Brian Griese). 

Jacobs and Fornette would be an amazing duo.  Not likely to happen but would be cool.  What do you guys think he can get on a 1 year deal?  There really ain’t many teams who need a RB1/2 like him.  

Houston- is the #1 spot for him I believe as he could beat out David Johnson and Duke Johnson for playing time.  

Pitt is an another option as they seem to like power RBs and Conner has question marks.  

SD only has Ekeler and Justin Johnson/Joshua Kelly.

Carolina has nothing besides McCaffrey, but he rarely comes off the field.

If Chicago doesn’t love David Montgomery and realizes Tarik Cohen is a gimmick 3rd down back at best he could fit there.

Philly doesn’t have much after Miles Sanders.

Its crazy to think 3 years ago Fornette was thought of as a generational RB talent.  There was talk he could have played in the NFL after his freshman year at LSU.

Technically he was waived so any team can claim him and his $4.167 million (I believe) salary for this season.  No team is going to pay him that much so he’ll certainly clear waivers and be free to sign anywhere he wants/can.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Would make an awesome #2 but doubt we kick the tires. 

He'd be a nice insurance policy behind Jacobs but I can't see him signing here. Assuming that Jacobs gets like 260-270 carries this season that'd leave like 60-70 for him. He's going to want to go somewhere he can have a bigger role. 

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Jacobs and Fornette would be an amazing duo.  Not likely to happen but would be cool.  What do you guys think he can get on a 1 year deal?  There really ain’t many teams who need a RB1/2 like him.  

Houston- is the #1 spot for him I believe as he could beat out David Johnson and Duke Johnson for playing time.  

Pitt is an another option as they seem to like power RBs and Conner has question marks.  

SD only has Ekeler and Justin Johnson/Joshua Kelly.

Carolina has nothing besides McCaffrey, but he rarely comes off the field.

If Chicago doesn’t love David Montgomery and realizes Tarik Cohen is a gimmick 3rd down back at best he could fit there.

Philly doesn’t have much after Miles Sanders.

Its crazy to think 3 years ago Fornette was thought of as a generational RB talent.  There was talk he could have played in the NFL after his freshman year at LSU.

Technically he was waived so any team can claim him and his $4.167 million (I believe) salary for this season.  No team is going to pay him that much so he’ll certainly clear waivers and be free to sign anywhere he wants/can.

where can Fournette go where he would be the starter at this point? I believe Raiders have 3-4 m in cap space. Fournette would be a perfect fit in this power scheme. If Browns can have Chubb and Hunt, why can't we have Jacobs and Fournette. Gruden loves to spend on offense, could maybe sign Fournette on a 1 year 5m deal. Gives us depth, and Fournette a home for a year.

14 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

where can Fournette go where he would be the starter at this point? I believe Raiders have 3-4 m in cap space. Fournette would be a perfect fit in this power scheme. If Browns can have Chubb and Hunt, why can't we have Jacobs and Fournette. Gruden loves to spend on offense, could maybe sign Fournette on a 1 year 5m deal. Gives us depth, and Fournette a home for a year.

I didn’t say we can’t.  I simply said I’m not expecting it.  I love it if we signed him tho

but zero chance he gets 5M maybe early in FA but not now.  He’s be lucky to get 3M with some incentives.  I could see 2-2.5M with max with hard to obtain incentives getting him 5M.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

He could sign with KC and split carries with CEH, Tampa Bay and he's likely their RB1, Pittsburgh and he's likely their RB1 as Conner can't stay healthy, or even Houston and be their RB1 because David Johnson is washed. The Chargers are another intriguing option as he could see a ton of carries there too. 

Realistically Jacobs will probably get between 250-260 carries this season which would leave like 80-100 carries for Fournette. I can't see him wanting to go somewhere on a short term deal where he'd only be getting 5-7 carries a game. He'll likely seek out a prove it deal on a team he can be a workhorse in hopes of getting a nice extension in the offseason. 

I'm not a huge Fournette guy but he was 6th in rushing for RB's, 5th in receiving for RB's, and 6th in total yards from scrimmage last season. 

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He could sign with KC and split carries with CEH, Tampa Bay and he's likely their RB1, Pittsburgh and he's likely their RB1 as Conner can't stay healthy, or even Houston and be their RB1 because David Johnson is washed. The Chargers are another intriguing option as he could see a ton of carries there too. 

Realistically Jacobs will probably get between 250-260 carries this season which would leave like 80-100 carries for Fournette. I can't see him wanting to go somewhere on a short term deal where he'd only be getting 5-7 carries a game. He'll likely seek out a prove it deal on a team he can be a workhorse in hopes of getting a nice extension in the offseason. 

I'm not a huge Fournette guy but he was 6th in rushing for RB's, 5th in receiving for RB's, and 6th in total yards from scrimmage last season. 

Fornette isn’t the type of player who can be successful with intermediate carries.... he’s a rhythm runner.  

I think it’s be good to keep Jacobs at around 240-250 carries...especially if he gets more catches.   But that still isn’t enough to support a RB like Fournette.  Not even close.  He needs to pound the defense over and over for medium gains then break one every so often.

As you said the ideal RB is someone who can come in and get 5-7 carries effectively each game.  

Some starting RBs don’t make great backups.

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That usually happens. It's ridiculous hype. Precisely why I don't jump on the Trevor Lawrence bandwagon. 

I figure either Chicago or Philly are likely to take a look. Maybe the Dolphins? Washington could be a possibility I suppose. 

He's exactly the type of player that I have no interest in seeing play for the Raiders though.