Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

23 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe are having a very good debate (for a change) about whether Dallas should draft CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy should both be available at 17. They're both making very reasonable and salient points.

Your thoughts? Go.

Fake news

I think Lamb is a more impressive talent, but that Jeudy would be a more natural fit here as his skill set more fluidly complements Cooper and Gallup’s

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Raiders have the #19 pick, but Indianapolis makes a lot of sense.

I also think if we end up with a massive trade offer, it’ll be for Jordan Love.

Teams may also want to jump Miami for an OT, if they address QB in the Top 5. If all 5-6 of our preferred targets at 17 are gone, it’s likely someone like Andrew Thomas made it there

24 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe are having a very good debate (for a change) about whether Dallas should draft CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy should both be available at 17. They're both making very reasonable and salient points.

Your thoughts? Go.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Because this feels only slightly more realistic than an argument about whether to take Okudah or Simmons if both are available.

If the question is who we'd prefer to fall if one of them somehow did: I'd vote Lamb. I think he is the more likely candidate to be a true dominant #1 receiver. But Jeudy is a stud too, and would be a great fit in the offense. I'm team 40-burger all the way in either case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Teams may also want to jump Miami for an OT, if they address QB in the Top 5. If all 5-6 of our preferred targets at 17 are gone, it’s likely someone like Andrew Thomas made it there

Sure, I agree. There could be multiple players there that a team would want to trade up for.

But to get an offer I would accept regardless of who was on the board, it more than likely would have to be for a QB. I doubt someone's offering two 2nds and a future 1st to come up for Andrew Thomas. But to your point, if the board is wiped out except for him, I'd obviously be willing to accept something less than that.

14 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Because this feels only slightly more realistic than an argument about whether to take Okudah or Simmons if both are available.

If the question is who we'd prefer to fall if one of them somehow did: I'd vote Lamb. I think he is the more likely candidate to be a true dominant #1 receiver. But Jeudy is a stud too, and would be a great fit in the offense. I'm team 40-burger all the way in either case.

Oddly enough, it wasn't sarcasm. They weren't screaming at each other. They were having a legitimate and reasonable debate. Obviously, the scenario of both of them being available is unrealistic, but I liked both of their points to defend their respective positions. Shannon picked Jeudy and Skip chose Lamb. 

4 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Sure, I agree. There could be multiple players there that a team would want to trade up for.

But to get an offer I would accept regardless of who was on the board, it more than likely would have to be for a QB. I doubt someone's offering two 2nds and a future 1st to come up for Andrew Thomas. But to your point, if the board is wiped out except for him, I'd obviously be willing to accept something less than that.

Well, I don't really think we're getting Godfather offers for Jordan Love, especially if Miami takes Tua in the Top 5. Most mocks I've seen have the Dolphins going OT at 18, so if the last of the blue-chip LTs is still there at our pick I could see someone wanting to jump MIA for him.

All that being said, trading down for a significant haul this year may be wishful thinking, as teams are likely to be more risk-averse with how the pre-draft process has been compromised. Generally speaking, it helps us a lot that there are as many legit QB and OT prospects as there are this year, as we won't be taking either position at 17.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Your thoughts? Go.

Jeudy. He has the safest floor with Lamb having the higher ceiling.

Also think Jeudy is a better fit for Dak. Having 2 elite route runners that get significant separation will help the offense.

Lamb doesnt separate as much and just an average route runner. He can high point a ball and is a YAC monster, very similar to Dez in a way. Dak needs to be more consistent in throwing and willing to throw into tight windows in order to take more advantage of Lamb's skill set.

5 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Jeudy. He has the safest floor with Lamb having the higher ceiling.

Also think Jeudy is a better fit for Dak. Having 2 elite route runners that get significant separation will help the offense.

Lamb doesnt separate as much and just an average route runner. He can high point a ball and is a YAC monster, very similar to Dez in a way. Dak needs to be more consistent in throwing and willing to throw into tight windows in order to take more advantage of Lamb's skill set.

I like them both. I think Lamb has more big game / game breaking ability, but Jeudy's route running is ELITE. Jeudy was also making DBs from the SEC look stupid, where Lamb plays in a conference which can't even spell the word "defense". I think both guys have the ability to be elite NFL players but in very different ways. I think McCarthy could work wonders with either guy based on his offense.

2 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I like them both. I think Lamb has more big game / game breaking ability, but Jeudy's route running is ELITE. Jeudy was also making DBs from the SEC look stupid, where Lamb plays in a conference which can't even spell the word "defense". I think both guys have the ability to be elite NFL players but in very different ways. I think McCarthy could work wonders with either guy based on his offense.

Agreed. I do like them both. I think Jeudy's game is very similar to Amari, while Lamb is similar to Dez. Peak of their careers, Dez was by far a more elite receiver, however Amari fits better with Dak just based on his ability to separate.

1 minute ago, CAPJ said:

Agreed. I do like them both. I think Jeudy's game is very similar to Amari, while Lamb is similar to Dez. Peak of their careers, Dez was by far a more elite receiver, however Amari fits better with Dak just based on his ability to separate.

I think those are great comparisons. Dez was a little thicker coming out of college, but Lamb is more explosive.

20 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I think those are great comparisons. Dez was a little thicker coming out of college, but Lamb is more explosive.

Very true. So when looking at it like that, although we dont have a "Dez" type, I dont like the fit of Lamb here as much as I do Jeudy. 

I think Lamb has the ability to be a superior player, but Jeudy's game fits Dak much better.

If Romo was still the QB, I would take Lamb all day.

9 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Very true. So when looking at it like that, although we dont have a "Dez" type, I dont like the fit of Lamb here as much as I do Jeudy. 

I think Lamb has the ability to be a superior player, but Jeudy's game fits Dak much better.

If Romo was still the QB, I would take Lamb all day.

I think it comes down to a few different areas of consideration:

1. How would McCarthy use either guy in his offense, given the way his WCO is structured? He generally prefers either slot guys who are solid route runners (like Jeudy),  or big, physical WRs (like Lamb) to run slants and crossing routes.

2. Does McCarthy/the team like our QB situation, or are they quietly looking elsewhere? No long term deal is signed yet, so are we considering other options?

3. How would either WR "fit"? Meaning, are we intending to keep three stud WRs over the long haul, or do we view one of those two as an eventual replacement for Cooper or Gallup 2 or 3 years down the road?

Those are just a few questions that we should ask ourselves in that kind of situation, because those answers could be what drives the selection.

Edited by plan9misfit