Josh Rosen [QB; UCLA]

CWood21

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but A&M was up 21 to 6 against Ole Miss last year and lost.  Also was up 21 to 7 against Tennessee last year, that became 28 to 14 later and almost blew that game but barely pulled it out in the end.  Sure Rosen made some good throws, A&M almost missed some throws on offense, and hope you are successful when you attempt almost 60 passes in a freaking game.  Sure throwing to the TE down the seam does happen in the NFL, rarely is the TE not covered as often as he was in that game.  

I was more impressed with Wilson the TE and how he caught the ball than how Rosen threw the ball.  Take that TE out and Rosen's success in that game is greatly different.  Again will see what he does the rest of the year, not ready to call him the next Peyton Manning or anything.

First off, I'm not sure what happened last year really has any bearing on what they did this year.  A&M had issues finishing games last year, but that really has no bearing on the struggle to finish UCLA.  The fact is Rosen made some really good throws against A&M, especially late in the game when it matter.  At this point, you're trying to discredit what he did rather than acknowledging him for what happened.  He played poorly for the first two and a half quarters, and then stepped up late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarters.

And nobody is saying he's the next Peyton Manning.  We're confused why you're so quick to discredit the positives he showed against A&M.

There was certainly some good displayed by Rosen in that final quarter. However, I'm siding with Ozzy on this one.

Looking at the first three quarters, Rosen was pretty bad. His pass protection was decent to open the game, although that crinkled early. His receivers didn't help him at all either, between drops and failure to gain separation on every pass.

In the 2nd half he even started out slow, until Texas A&M started to play prevent. Rosen took what he was given and carved the secondary through the short-intermediate levels. He was quick through his progressions and got the ball out. It wasn't overly impressive, but still a valiant, admirable effort to lead his team to the 2nd highest comeback in NCAA history which will surely go on his resume.

With that being said, I have Rosen and Darnold 1A-1B in the early stages of the season. I wouldn't say Rosen necessarily helped/hurt himself in this game, but if I had to choose, he's on the descend for me, keeping in mind all four quarters.

Rosen had some really lucky throws, but he showed a lot of poise and I love his pocket presence. Especially his ability to throw a nice ball while knowing he is about to get pummelled.

I don't understand the character critiques in the least. Until he is Johnny Manziel'ing ie: partying the night before games, I will have no issue with a college kid having fun.

I must say though, he really needs to be nicknamed Josh Nosen.

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Rosen had some really lucky throws, but he showed a lot of poise and I love his pocket presence. Especially his ability to throw a nice ball while knowing he is about to get pummelled.

I don't understand the character critiques in the least. Until he is Johnny Manziel'ing ie: partying the night before games, I will have no issue with a college kid having fun.

I must say though, he really needs to be nicknamed Josh Nosen.

For the most part, I'm with you there. I haven't seen him do anything that would have me concerned; just seems like a college kid being a college kid. Now, his detractors could say that the same thing was said about Matt Leinart, which I suppose is a viable, but not one I'm particularly worried about. 

That being said, I understand the minor concerns regarding other things in his personality. The rumors that he's immature (with silly supporting actions such as re-arranging lawn decorations), would be concerning, especially with the talk that he's brash, somewhat unlikable, and according to one person, uncoachable. That could be an issue. But I don't know the kid, so I really can't comment on that - I Think that some of it is likely true (he seems like the type that does have a personality type that may rub people the wrong way), and some likely overblown by people who don't like him. 

The interesting part to me is that obviously he's outspoken politically. Matt Miller brought up a good point with regards to some of these owners and their political affiliations. You have a guy like Woody Johnson, who is a US ambassador under Trump; can you have a high profile employee, who is very outspoken politically, speaking out against him? I can see that sort of conundrum for the Jets. 

For the most part, I'm with you there. I haven't seen him do anything that would have me concerned; just seems like a college kid being a college kid. Now, his detractors could say that the same thing was said about Matt Leinart, which I suppose is a viable, but not one I'm particularly worried about. 

Agreed. And to me, Leinart didn't fail because he was out partying, he failed because his arm was surprisingly poor for his frame, he didn't have great pocket awareness, he didn't adjust to the speed of the NFL game, his footwork was horrid under pressure. He basically wasn't a fighter, which is something that I think Rosen actually is on the field. Matt never stood tall to take hits like Rosen did last game.

That being said, I understand the minor concerns regarding other things in his personality. The rumors that he's immature (with silly supporting actions such as re-arranging lawn decorations), would be concerning, especially with the talk that he's brash, somewhat unlikable, and according to one person, uncoachable. That could be an issue. But I don't know the kid, so I really can't comment on that - I Think that some of it is likely true (he seems like the type that does have a personality type that may rub people the wrong way), and some likely overblown by people who don't like him. 

I think the immature issues are something that you have to chalk up to age. I always give these kids the benefit of the doubt because as great as it must be to play football in college, you still need time to be a kid. Mischief, partying, chasing girls. Its a really fun part of life. Can you balance these things and be well rounded? That is the key, and Rosen hasn't swung too far in the Manziel direction to me, not in the least. Un-coachable is troubling, but I need more whispers at this point.

The interesting part to me is that obviously he's outspoken politically. Matt Miller brought up a good point with regards to some of these owners and their political affiliations. You have a guy like Woody Johnson, who is a US ambassador under Trump; can you have a high profile employee, who is very outspoken politically, speaking out against him? I can see that sort of conundrum for the Jets. 

Ya, politics, especially in this SUPER polarized climate, are going to be an issue. Then again, Rosen hasn't been THAT political and by the time the draft rolls around his view may be that of 85+% of the population rather than the current 66%. And at that point, team brass will care a bit less IMO. lol.

41 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

He's not Peyton Manning, but he's probably Eli Manning

Eli had better fundamentals coming out of college, far superior quickness in the pocket and way superior footwork.  A quicker release, stronger arm and much better pedigree obviously. He had some big time performances in big games for them and was a great leader for that team and lead them to actual wins and progress as a program.  Will see if Rosen can do that this season, so far this one A&M game is basically the only impressive win of his entire college career.   Always has lost to Stanford and USC, and has not even played Washington yet till this year, good luck with that.  Will see how he does against teams that do not blow leads like A&M who again have done it in the past, and yes the past does matter.  

His character or personality is just how I read him, maybe I am wrong but that is the vibe I get.  I hated Sam Bradford coming out as a potential "super star quarterback prospect", I never thought he had what it took to become that absolute elite star QB most made him out to be.  And currently  yes I still greatly question his leadership and personality, that is wildly clear on the field and the sidelines.  Some similar issues come up with Rosen, sure Bradford has put up good statistics in the league being moderately successful, but is he this once in a decade QB talent, no.  Josh Rosen will be getting potentially this talk like Luck got, best since Peyton Manning.  With Luck that made sense, with Rosen I don't see that yet.  Again he has to do it against more quality opponents this year and be consistent.

I'm a huge fan. He has almost a perfect throwing motion and a very strong arm. If he matures mentally as to his leadership qualities, he has a real shot at being a very solid NFL franchise QB and will battle Darnold and Allen all season to be the #1 overall pick in the 2018 draft. He already earned a lot of respect from his teammates for leading a comeback victory over A@M. Certainly, the potential is there for him to be a huge star in the NFL.

Rosen was 22/25 for 329 yards and 5 TDs vs Hawaii today (yeah yeah Hawaii lol). He was making all the NFL caliber throws with zip on his passes. If you give this kid the pass blocking he can shred any defense. I think his day is done because UCLA is blowing out Hawaii in the 4th.

My view on the guy was limited - I watched the A&M game, and while I came away impressed, I have to think that he takes some risks that'll get him in trouble at the next level. Two of the four TDs he threw in the game would have been picks in the pros (his 3rd TD pass would have been a pick six from the end zone, just not a good throw).

There's a lot to like, but his gunslinger mentality is going to drive people nuts at the pro level.

His game yesterday looked awefully good with only two more TDs than incompletions, 5 Tds to 3 inconpletions. One of which was a drop. Granted this was against Hawaii but that's how a future starting QB in the NFL should look against lesser talent. The part I liked best was the 7 different receivers he used spreading the ball around with ease not forcing anything.

14 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

My view on the guy was limited - I watched the A&M game, and while I came away impressed, I have to think that he takes some risks that'll get him in trouble at the next level. Two of the four TDs he threw in the game would have been picks in the pros (his 3rd TD pass would have been a pick six from the end zone, just not a good throw).

There's a lot to like, but his gunslinger mentality is going to drive people nuts at the pro level.

I really don't think game 1 of the college season you can expect a QB to perform at his best, especially since he missed a good portion of last year. It will take him and most college QB's at least a game to get fully on track.

Not saying this because I root for UCLA, but I can't find any major flaws in his game. He didn't perform poorly against Texas A&M, no one could get open until Caleb Wilson started rolling.  Everything else opened right after that. He didn't throw the ball into double coverage or try to force many passes. Hurt his leg and kept going. Vs Hawaii, that's when you just look at his ability to move in the pocket, accuracy, and decision making. He killed it. 

He's still my top QB even though I really like Darnold and Jackson as well.

Archived