Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

Mariota is an average quarterback, we didn’t block well, and the game plan and coaching took a serious step back. Mariota didn’t lose us this game, he also did not create the plays necessary to win.

The sack he took to move the FG back was brutal. You also need your kicker to bury a 45-yard field goal. We lost and we deserved to lose. Mariota certainly played a role in it, but I’m going to put far more blame on the staff. Had two third and longs where you went to a soft zone and got burned, two easy challenges that we just didn’t challenge, and we moved away from Henry and the power formations that won it for us last week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

That’s what we always do make excuses for him, bad coaches, lack of weapons, OL play man when you gone get the job done 

These aren't excuses. They are just the way it is. 

He has his issues. But it's always funny to walk away from a loss that had obvious mistakes by others besides just Marcus and say he is the problem. 

He was a problem today. But he wasn't why we lost in my mind. 

He isn't tipping the scales to victory and in today's NFL that's a problem and not a way to win consistently. He is a piece with this offensive approach and needs other to do things for us to win. 

We need to put it on him and eliminate the factors that could be what you call excuses. But we aren't. We are depending on coaching to create matchups. Running game to take pressure off and a defensive to play great to give him the ball. 

When they don't then we try to shift and go from 0-100 with Marcus. 

To me he is a rhythm thrower. Like Henry needs carries I think Marcus needs throws. My opinion.  That isn't blaming Marcus totally but not giving him a pass for his deficiencies. 

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is exactly the issue. other teams make these little mistakes all the time but when they have a QB who is actually capable of making plays, it doesn't sink them. mariota's play gives us an insanely thin margin of error.

This right here post of the day 🙌🏽 🗣say it again 

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Mariota is an average quarterback, we didn’t block well, and the game plan and coaching took a serious step back. Mariota didn’t lose us this game, he also did not create the plays necessary to win.

The sack he took to move the FG back was brutal. You also need your kicker to bury a 45-yard field goal. We lost and we deserved to lose. Mariota certainly played a role in it, but I’m going to put far more blame on the staff. Had two third and longs where you went to a soft zone and got burned, two easy challenges that we just didn’t challenge, and we moved away from Henry and the power formations that won it for us last week.

teams with good (not even great!) QBs are capable of winning games when coaches and other players make mistakes. it's really that simple. if we need everyone else to do their job perfectly in order to eke out a win over a division rival, then we have a QB problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, that was an obvious coaching mistake, but again, it's not completely on them because if marcus actually makes a damn play on any one of those third downs we probably win.

The job of coaches is to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the team, and maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

Mariota isn't playing well, stop asking him to win the game when you have a running back that is literally averaging a first down every two carries.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

teams with good (not even great!) QBs are capable of winning games when coaches and other players make mistakes. it's really that simple. if we need everyone else to do their job perfectly in order to eke out a win over a division rival, then we have a QB problem.

Oooh ooh I like this 1

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

These aren't excuses. They are just the way it is. 

He has his issues. But it's always funny to walk away from a loss that had obvious mistakes by others besides just Marcus and say he is the problem. 

He was a problem today. But he wasn't why we lost in my mind. 

He isn't tipping the scales to victory and in today's NFL that's a problem and not a way to win consistently. He is a piece with this offensive approach and needs other to do things for us to win. 

We need to put it on him and eliminate the factors that could be what you call excuses. But we aren't. We are depending on coaching to create matchups. Running game to take pressure off and a defensive to play great to give him the ball. 

When they don't then we try to shift and go from 0-100 with Marcus. 

To me he is a rhythm thrower. Like Henry needs carries I think Marcus needs throws. My opinion.  That isn't blaming Marcus totally but not giving him a pass for his deficiencies. 

There was a time I thought this way also, and I've moved on from it. At this point we're in an offense that is trying to hide him because he doesn't play well enough consistently to build an offense where he is the focal point and he's had 4 years to show that. His only really good year in the NFL is the one where we had a top 3 running offense.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

The job of coaches is to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the team, and maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

Mariota isn't playing well, stop asking him to win the game when you have a running back that is literally averaging a first down every two carries.

show me a coach that does that flawlessly every single week. could we have won this game with better play calling and the same play from mariota? absolutely. are we ever going to go from "good to great" when we have to rely on that? not a chance in hell.

After the Brisset fumble, we needed to lean on Henry and we didn't

Mariota needed to make plays and didn't. Our WRs didnt step up, either

Why the heck did we pay for Adam Humphries? Seriously...why

What a 180 in gameplan from Arthur Smith. Absolutely atrocious today.

defensively...what a sad tackling performance. Absolutely no heart

show me a coach that does that flawlessly every single week. could we have won this game with better play calling and the same play from mariota? absolutely. are we ever going to go from "good to great" when we have to rely on that? not a chance in hell.

Marcus Mariota is our quarterback.

We knew that going in to the season and in to the game.

Using Mariota's inefficiencies as an excuse for poor play calling doesn't work. You know what his limitations are. You know you need to lean on Henry. So lean on Henry.

Jeff Fisher could figure this out with Eddie George when McNair was a mediocre(or arguably even worse) QB the first few years of his career. How Mike Vrabel and Arthur Smith can't is beyond me.

I mean, we obviously didn’t need everyone to do their job perfectly, we needed to just not have the coaching staff have a complete mental breakdown in the last 15 minutes.

We clearly could have won even without challenging those two plays. And Mariota taking those two sacks. And Santos missing that kick. But the staff could just not get out of its own way.

When you have a QB that has been told to play it safe, you make the margin of error smaller. The coaching staff needs to be counted on to not turn around and commit a bunch of errors.

• Like 1

I just think if we are asking our QB to throw 28 passes we aren't asking him to win the game and in return aren't really at a place to blame him completely. 

Just like I wouldn't credit Brissett for that win or Marcus for last week's win. 

If we are trying to hide him then they should have got rid of him. If they don't think he can play the QB spot then I fault our coaches and GM for not changing.