What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Daniel is not good.  I would rather continue to roll with Mitch and see if something sticks than to bench him for that guy.  He is to be used only if Mitch goes down with an injury.

The organization owes it to themselves and to Mitch to continue trying to develop him for at least this season, even if it means potentially missing the playoffs.

But that's not the point or the purpose behind a benching.

The purpose is to make a statement to Mitch that despite his lofty draft status he's still auditioning for the role of franchise QB and that he hasn't passed his audition yet.  Plus it only needs to happen IF by the London game he's not shown any farther signs of progressing as he needs to.

My point is that from all appearances this is not yet a SB caliber team and it won't be until the offense can catch up with the defense. 

Given those three opponents a Chase Daniel executing well may win or lose just as easily as a Mitch Trubisky whose still not executing well.  If our best is only around .500 after 11 games where in the hell are we going anyway?  We'd need to win out and go 11-5 to even have a shot at the NFCN crown unless you expect both Minny and GB to tank that is.

Two things happen regardless of the outcome W/L wise.

1) Mitch is being reminded that he not only can be benched but that if he does not improve he will see some significant competition for his job in 2020 when I believe we'll have a better chance at winning a championship.

2) He gets to watch Daniel executing the offense as Nagy has designed it.  Maybe some mental reps will help, or not.  But he also comes back with 5 games left and a shot at saving the season by winning out with 3 NFCN games on the road vs 2 at home.

I'm all for developing Mitch but I'm also all for a Plan B in the event it doesn't happen and Plan B should be another vet QB more capable than Daniel as his competition in 2020.  We can only wait so long for this anticipated development to begin taking place before bringing in someone else who'll also need to learn this offense during the offseason and in OTAs.

Maybe it sounds a little severe but then so do many things NE does but it's also why they win SB as often as they do and we don't.

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Two bad games? He’s been trash his entire career and should of never been selected in the Top 20, let alone 2nd pick in the draft... that your managements fault 100%. 

24 TD's(plus another 4 rushing), 12 INT's, 67% completion percentage in 2018 #trash

Edited by beardown3231

Colts waived QB Chad Kelly.

Kelly would've stood a chance making the active roster in Week 3 had the Patriots not parted with Brian Hoyer, who was handed $9 million guaranteed from the Colts prior to Week 1. Kelly's done nothing but perform when given an opportunity, most recently striking on 54-of-73 passes (74%) for 583 yards, two scores, and two picks this preseason. Another suitor will quickly jump in and eventually find out whether those marks translate to regular season play or not.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

10 hours ago, soulman said:

But that's not the point or the purpose behind a benching.

The purpose is to make a statement to Mitch that despite his lofty draft status he's still auditioning for the role of franchise QB and that he hasn't passed his audition yet.  Plus it only needs to happen IF by the London game he's not shown any farther signs of progressing as he needs to.

My point is that from all appearances this is not yet a SB caliber team and it won't be until the offense can catch up with the defense. 

Given those three opponents a Chase Daniel executing well may win or lose just as easily as a Mitch Trubisky whose still not executing well.  If our best is only around .500 after 11 games where in the hell are we going anyway?  We'd need to win out and go 11-5 to even have a shot at the NFCN crown unless you expect both Minny and GB to tank that is.

I could be wrong but I don't think Mitch is oblivious to the notion that he needs to play much better and I personally believe that a benching would solve nothing and only potentially make things worse.  The only way he's going to get better is by continuing to play and through trial and error.  He's not going to make any progress sitting on the bench doing mental reps, that's only going to be more damaging to his confidence IMO.  The only way he deserves a benching is if he goes out and plays consistently bad for a stretch of games and turns the ball over multiple times and you can definitively say he is the reason the Bears lost those games.

You even said it yourself that Daniel being in there may win or lose just as easily as Mitch, so again I don't see the point of throwing him in there at the expense of further development for Mitch.  I have been hard on him lately just as others have been and don't really want to make any more excuses for the guy, but he is still relatively young in his pro career (29 career starts) and didn't have much starting experience in college coming into the NFL. This was always going to be a long project from the beginning.  We can't all just give up so easily now.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's a little better than that for a 2nd year guy's first year in a new scheme...we need to show patience here.

Patience is a funny thing because it is often accompanied with the belief that time is going to equal to improvement.

We know that patience is not always rewarded. We were patient with Cutler and he never progressed, because his ceiling was his ceiling, not amount of time was going to change that.

30 NFL Games, 17 with Nagy, and we are watching a regression to the worse parts of last season. I think we have shown patience. I do not need him to be a finished product or a star, but I need to see some progress and growth. Patience, is costing us valuable time with this defense in its prime.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's a little better than that for a 2nd year guy's first year in a new scheme...we need to show patience here.

It really isn't a little better.

It is hard to find an apples to apples comparison, but most 2nd year QBs are producing those numbers or far superior numbers.

I don't think we're in new-QB territory yet, and even if we are there our options are absolutely terrible.  Benching Mitch has a lot more likely negative outcomes than positives. Is there the chance that being humiliated somehow jolts him into being good? Sure I guess, but I'd be shocked, and more likely you're just going to finish off whatever confidence he has left. 

We are stuck with Mitch, I hope he gets better.

Lets say you want to trade up next year and get to pick #10 to grab a QB.  If you assume we'll be drafting around 20th or so, and you take EVERY pick we have next year, you're about halfway there on trade value. And that in my mind is the BEST option we have. Otherwise what do we do, Alex Smith?  Cripes, I'm going to start watching golf. 

Something is obviously wrong with him.  All the areas of concern from last year have returned with a vengeance, and it's unexpected.  But man oh man are our options thin. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Patience is a funny thing because it is often accompanied with the belief that time is going to equal to improvement.

We know that patience is not always rewarded. We were patient with Cutler and he never progressed, because his ceiling was his ceiling, not amount of time was going to change that.

30 NFL Games, 17 with Nagy, and we are watching a regression to the worse parts of last season. I think we have shown patience. I do not need him to be a finished product or a star, but I need to see some progress and growth. Patience, is costing us valuable time with this defense in its prime.

We are 1-1 and GB only beat us by a TD in week 1 so the slow start to 2019 hasn't really cost us anything valuable yet.

Going back to Cutler... he had a higher ceiling than you give him credit for.  He never reached that potential mainly due to the fact of the environment he had around him whether it was the constant change in OC's or the poor personnel/weapons and coaching he had during his tenure in CHI.

Imagine Cutler in the same system under Shanny for his whole career?  I imagine things would have been a lot different for him, and this is coming from a guy who was never a big Cutler fan.

I know nobody likes to hear this but a young QB usually needs 40-50 starts in the NFL before determining whether they can hack it as a starter at this level.  We are only at 29 games with Mitch and 17 in Nagy's offense.  I believe that patience is a virtue in this case.  You don't want to be that guy that trashed Trubisky all this time and then he turns out to be a really solid NFL QB, do you?  Don't be that pessimistic Windy.

Edited by topwop1

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

We are 1-1 and GB only beat us by a TD in week 1 so the slow start to 2019 hasn't really cost us anything valuable yet.

Going back to Cutler... he had a higher ceiling than you give him credit for.  He never reached that potential mainly due to the fact of the environment he had around him whether it was the constant change in OC's or the poor personnel/weapons and coaching he had during his tenure in CHI.

Imagine Cutler in the same system under Shanny for his whole career?  I imagine things would have been a lot different for him, and this is coming from a guy who was never a big Cutler fan.

I know nobody likes to hear this but a young QB usually needs 40-50 starts in the NFL before determining whether they can hack it as a starter at this level.  We are only at 29 games with Mitch and 17 in Nagy's offense.  I believe that patience is a virtue in this case.  You don't want to be that guy that trashed Trubisky all this time and then he turns out to be a really solid NFL QB, do you?  Don't be that pessimistic Windy.

I still think they win a Super Bowl if he doesn't hurt his knee vs GB or his thumb vs SD. He was playing great.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

What is this based on?

I am also well aware of all the Cutler excuses. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't that good.

I am pretty comfortable with the fact that he is not going to be more than an average NFL QB. He gets this season to prove me wrong, but based on the growth we have seen and where he is at after 30 and 17, I have little confidence he is going to be more than he was last season. Good enough to flash, but inconsistent enough to never make us a consistent threat.

Edited by WindyCity