What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Lets throw Trubisky, Mariota, and a 4th/5th round pick in the QB room and see what comes out?

Ummm...no.

I'm a Trubisky defender, and don't think all of this hand wringing is necessary, but...

If Mitch stinks this year, there needs to be a much more proactive solution to what will be a QB "problem" than Mitch, Mariota, and some fifth round guy.

If Mitch fails, that represents a full blown team catastrophe. And maybe Pace will be too full of himself to properly deal with that...but let's hope not. 

I'm going to reload in regards to this thread (as I have some research to do). I think the rest of us should weigh in along those lines. Squabbling is pointless. What QBs should the Bears go after if Trubisky fails? 

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think it works that way. I think the rights void after a year or two. Marshawn Lynch, for example. Or maybe he played out the bulk of that contract, and I'm wrong. If you're right, the Colts would still be better off taking just about anything after a couple of years. But that wouldn't save us next year. 

Retirements

Teams can end a contract at any time, but so can players. In a player's case, though, the only way they can do this is by retiring. In the end, though, the math looks pretty much the same as if the player had been cut -- and the June 1 rule applies here, too.

For instance, if our player from the example above had retired instead of being cut, his money would account the same way as if he had been cut by the team. If he files his retirement paperwork on or after June 1, the money counts as if he was cut on or after June 1.

Just like anything else in the NFL, though, there is a "but" for this rule, too: if the player retires with time remaining on his contract, then chooses to come back into the league later, he is not a free agent. Contracts apply, in most cases, to accrued seasons, not calendar years. If the player doesn't play, he doesn't accrue a season. Therefore, his return to the field would put him back under the control of the same team, unless that team chooses to cut him. This rule is part of the reason why Barry Sanders chose to retire: the Lions refused to cut him, and he decided he'd rather stop playing altogether than play another season for Detroit. Conversely, Brett Favre retired, and then the team chose to cut him while he was retired. He was then able to return to the league later as a free agent.

It is based on accrued seasons, if they don't play the season doesn't count. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

It's funny to see a guy like Gardner Minshew come in right away as a 6th round pick and play QB like he's been doing it for years in this league whereas you have younger guys like Mitch and Mariota who have been in the league now for a few years and they both look lost at times.

It'll be interesting to see how Mishew keeps developing because if he keeps his play up then that brings up the question of what the Jags will do with Foles next season, who I must mention has experience in Nagy's system as an Andy Reid disciple. Could he be an option for us if Mitch continues to struggle and Minshew forces the Jags to keep him as their starter?

Is Minshew just a flash in the pan or is he the real deal?

DeFilippo is doing a good job of spreading the defense out and making reads easier for him too. They are attacking levels and trying to push the safeties back with regularity, which is opening things for Minshrew AND helping Fournette on the ground too. He's making the game easier buy Minshrew is really impressing me with his timing and accuracy. 

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think it works that way. I think the rights void after a year or two. Marshawn Lynch, for example. Or maybe he played out the bulk of that contract, and I'm wrong. If you're right, the Colts would still be better off taking just about anything after a couple of years. But that wouldn't save us next year. 

It does he restructured his contract and was cut, that's how he signed with the Raiders.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2018/03/marshawn_lynch_accepts_500000.html

• Like 1

Although, on numerous occasions, I haven't hidden my anger at things Nagy had done...he's still a good coach, and may even prove to be one of the best, given time. So let's assume that if Trubisky becomes the weight holding the offense down, Nagy will not be taken to task, for that. And remember, Mitchell wasn't even chosen by Nagy or anything. 

So Nagy stays, the offense and its personnel stays. I also believe that Nagy is too good of a coach to only want a very specific kind of quarterback--he's adaptable enough that any guy with real talent can flourish under Nagy. All right. Next, if Trubisky actually stinks, I believe that the likelihood then is that the Bears' own pick and the pick from the Raiders aren't that far apart. And both should be fairly high, like the 10-20 range. For the purpose of this little exercise, that's pretty darn good. A starting caliber guy could even fall to that first pick.

The Dolphins are tanking for Tua, unless Rosen works out for them. I think there's a good chance that Rosen does work out, but...let's assume he doesn't, or the Dolphins are sold on Tua regardless. Hebert is probably the consensus next best guy coming out, and of course we don't know if Pace agrees with that, or not, but barring an enormous trade, let's assume somebody gets Hebert instead of the Bears. There are also more young starters around the league than ever before, and a lot either look good, or are too early along for their teams to give up on them. This makes the Bengals and Raiders the two most likely teams to be looking for fresh blood in the draft--which might put either Andy Dalton or Derek Carr in play for the Bears.

Either might work. Don't laugh off the possibility of Dalton--the guy is painfully average, but we're assuming Mitchell is anything but. I don't know what Carr is, honestly, But a new start with Nagy could do him wonders. Now, what other teams might be looking to draft a guy high? More to come...

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Andy Dalton or Derek Carr in play for the Bears

Hard pass on Dalton but Carr would be an intriguing choice. 

Mitch has this season and this season only to show what he is made of. If not, then I hope Pace swallows his pride and let's Nagy choose a QB in the draft who he feels will fit in his system. If Nagy doesn't see any QB worth taking that early then we run with Mitch for another year and bring in some competition to light a fire under his ***.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Hard pass on Dalton but Carr would be an intriguing choice. 

Mitch has this season and this season only to show what he is made of. If not, then I hope Pace swallows his pride and let's Nagy choose a QB in the draft who he feels will fit in his system. If Nagy doesn't see any QB worth taking that early then we run with Mitch for another year and bring in some competition to light a fire under his ***.

I get the hard pass on Dalton, I've never particularly liked that guy either--but I'm looking at the situation more as winning a Super Bowl really soon, with a long term QB solution as sort of secondary. And I really do think that Nagy is clever enough to fit any talented QB into his system, and the good news is that there are a lot of talented options out there.

The rant continues. :D Other teams...

The Buccaneers? I never would have drafted Winston to be my starter in a bajillion years, as he is a total meathead who wasn't even all that consistent in college. But the Bucs did, and now Arians has signed on. After two games, the results are mixed--one uneven outing followed by a solid game that lacked much pizzazz. My gut is telling me that since Arians came out of retirement to coach Winston, the results of '19 season will be good enough that they'll give the meathead a front-loaded deal for decent starter's money, and go from there. 

The Colts? Absolutely. And I'm calling this now--Brissett won't really be given a fair shake by GM Chris Ballard, even though Brissett will play pretty well. The Colts will pull off a blockbuster trade with a bad team with a young QB in place (Jets, Cardinals, etc.) and snag Hebert over whatever team was hoping that he'd fall to them. Of course, that may put Brissett in play.

The Titans? I dunno. I think they let  Mariotta go, bur he's not in play as a starter for the Bears as he's too fragile for the NFC North. Do they do something major, then? Under this scenario, the top three guys are probably gone by the time the Titans pick (I'm banking on them being better than the Bengals as a certainty). I'm thinking the third guy--who most likely will be Fromm--goes to whoever was hoping for Hebert, either by pick or trade. So do the Titans draft the fourth guy? They're awfully close to being a really good team, and they have Tannehill. I can see them getting a reclamation project (one of the guys I mentioned), and drafting someone else later. They'd be much better off with a quality lineman than a QB who may not even start. 

And even if I'm wrong about the Titans, we're still looking at the fourth best prospect potentially being available to the Bears, even if that is via a trade. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The Buccaneers? I never would have drafted Winston to be my starter in a bajillion years, as he is a total meathead who wasn't even all that consistent in college. But the Bucs did, and now Arians has signed on. After two games, the results are mixed--one uneven outing followed by a solid game that lacked much pizzazz. My gut is telling me that since Arians came out of retirement to coach Winston, the results of '19 season will be good enough that they'll give the meathead a front-loaded deal for decent starter's money, and go from there. 

Winston prefers W's, Heinz B|

CarelessTautEuropeanfiresalamander-small

Wouldn't mind Love, I guess. But I say hell no to any LSU QB's. Haven't watched Eason enough to form an opinion so I'll take your word on it.

• Like 1

Cant quote your post @JustAnotherFan. Confusing.

Anyway, I'm no expert. Seen these guys play, but just now digging into all this. The things that stick out about Eason are that he has a cannon for an arm (while lacking the gunslinger nuttiness that usually accompanies that) and is, for the most part, pretty fundamentally sound. Those highlights were against a lesser team, his next game was a little shakier--but there were a lot of drops that won't happen at the NFL level. (Those highlights also had bad audio, so I didn't post them.) 

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Cant quote your post @JustAnotherFan. Confusing.

Anyway, I'm no expert. Seen these guys play, but just now digging into all this. The things that stick out about Eason are that he has a cannon for an arm (while lacking the gunslinger nuttiness that usually accompanies that) and is, for the most part, pretty fundamentally sound. Those highlights were against a lesser team, his next game was a little shakier--but there were a lot of drops that won't happen at the NFL level. (Those highlights also had bad audio, so I didn't post them.) 

I was just watching some of his stuff on YT, which is limited obviously, and I can see some similarities to Mitch and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Pros:

• Quick release
  • Good arm strength
  • Goes thru his progressions
  • Very athletic
  • Comes from a pro-style offense. 
  • Decent pocket presence
  • Good escapability
  • Hangs in there under pressure and is not afraid to get hit

Cons:

• Lack of experience
  • Accuracy is inconsistent (Although when he's on, he's on)
  • Plays reckless when scrambling with the ball
  • A risk-taker who often tries to force plays that are not there
  • Seems to play more backyard football rather than reading the defense
  • Puts his receivers in dangerous spots by leaving them exposed too often

Overall, not bad. He def looks like the type of QB that Nagy can work with. I'll be keeping an eye on him now.