What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Serious question--who cares?

Is God Almighty going to come down and fix this problem (if it indeed is one) for us?

That's the **** I'm talking about. To continue to rag on Trubisky every day 10 times a day is annoying. Coming up with questions like "is he the worst player on the offense" is a whole new level of douchebaggery. As you said, who cares? Is there some award out there in the cloud for who can come up with the dumbest ****? I don't get why 14 days into the season all of these hot takes need to be had. And then he claims he isn't pessimistic.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's the **** I'm talking about. To continue to rag on Trubisky every day 10 times a day is annoying. Coming up with questions like "is he the worst player on the offense" is a whole new level of douchebaggery. As you said, who cares? Is there some award out there in the cloud for who can come up with the dumbest ****? I don't get why 14 days into the season all of these hot takes need to be had. And then he claims he isn't pessimistic.

I do give him credit, though. He's laying bare his doubt and criticism, when he was veiling it before. Threads like "Can Pace  Survive?" (not drafting Mahommes), and whatnot. I'm seriously relieved he's actually posting what he feels, and isn't scrambling and sugar-coating stuff. Best to get everything out there. 

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Would they even need to trade anything? 

Even if he retired, his rights are still owned. He's under contract, it doesnt expire until he plays the years out or they release him.

Just like how DET would still hold Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson's rights if they would un-retire. The OT Anthony Davis retired really early but when he was coming back his rights were still owned by the 49ers too. 

Edited by Sugashane

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Even if he retired, his rights are still owned. He's under contract, it doesnt expire until he plays the years out or they release him.

Just like how DET would still hold Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson's rights if they would un-retire. The OT Anthony Davis retired really early but when he was coming back his rights were still owned by the 49ers too. 

Gotcha

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think Mitch is oblivious to the notion that he needs to play much better and I personally believe that a benching would solve nothing and only potentially make things worse.  The only way he's going to get better is by continuing to play and through trial and error.  He's not going to make any progress sitting on the bench doing mental reps, that's only going to be more damaging to his confidence IMO.  The only way he deserves a benching is if he goes out and plays consistently bad for a stretch of games and turns the ball over multiple times and you can definitively say he is the reason the Bears lost those games.

You even said it yourself that Daniel being in there may win or lose just as easily as Mitch, so again I don't see the point of throwing him in there at the expense of further development for Mitch.  I have been hard on him lately just as others have been and don't really want to make any more excuses for the guy, but he is still relatively young in his pro career (29 career starts) and didn't have much starting experience in college coming into the NFL. This was always going to be a long project from the beginning.  We can't all just give up so easily now.

I think there are two ways to look at this.

1) He can improve over time with more reps but the question behind that approach is will he?  If his issues were based more on mechanics and execution then I would adopt that approach but I still don't believe that's it.  His issues are in his head and as OCD as he's been about being perfect and as far as he is from it ongoing failures can only lower his confidence even more.  This shouldn't be happening in his 3rd season but it is.

2) You want him to deserve that starting role not just earn it due to his draft status and having an offense built specifically for him. As it stands he's done more to lose his spot than keep it.  I'm not suggesting benching him be done tomorrow or even before the bye week. He should have at least that long to work out his problem.  But at a point no player, even your starting QB, should continue to play if he's not up to doing the job each and every week.

I may have different thoughts on this than others but I'm also certain the possibility has been discussed around Halas Hall as well.

I have another piece I read today that I can post tonight and the author himself digs a bit deeper into this in agreement with much of what's also been posted here among us.

I really don't get what all the hate is about. He's still under rookie contract and if he still sucks come 2021, he will be replaced via the draft. The problem is that Chicago has no history of developing QBs and in the NFL, systems and coaching have a great deal of how a QB develops. Chicago has a history of poor QB play and great defense and running backs. The reason why? It may have to do with weather, it may have to do with mindset, I just can't put a finger on it. We just need to realize that we may never have an elite QB and we just have to bolster our team so that we can win regardless.

Right now we are 1-1 as a result of playing our toughest rival having a top 3 QB in the league and playing at Mile High where they are nearly impossible to beat in their season openers. Going forward we really need to add higher quality weapons on offense. Allen Robinson and Trey Burton are decent weapons but they are not necessarily gamebreakers that can win games by themselves. We have a volume of weapons on offense but we may need to emphasize quality over quantity. It may be the case that Mitch doesn't have a go-to guy night in and night out.\

Also, we really need to utilize the jet sweep early and often on games. As a linebacker, if Patterson is motioning to the left and with the running threat of Mitch going to the right with the option to toss to Cohen, this play can be incredibly hard to defend. We really need to implement an offense that utilizes Mitch's feet to be more successful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I really don't get what all the hate is about. He's still under rookie contract and if he still sucks come 2021, he will be replaced via the draft. The problem is that Chicago has no history of developing QBs and in the NFL, systems and coaching have a great deal of how a QB develops. Chicago has a history of poor QB play and great defense and running backs. The reason why? It may have to do with weather, it may have to do with mindset, I just can't put a finger on it. We just need to realize that we may never have an elite QB and we just have to bolster our team so that we can win regardless.

Right now we are 1-1 as a result of playing our toughest rival having a top 3 QB in the league and playing at Mile High where they are nearly impossible to beat in their season openers. Going forward we really need to add higher quality weapons on offense. Allen Robinson and Trey Burton are decent weapons but they are not necessarily gamebreakers that can win games by themselves. We have a volume of weapons on offense but we may need to emphasize quality over quantity. It may be the case that Mitch doesn't have a go-to guy night in and night out.\

Also, we really need to utilize the jet sweep early and often on games. As a linebacker, if Patterson is motioning to the left and with the running threat of Mitch going to the right with the option to toss to Cohen, this play can be incredibly hard to defend. We really need to implement an offense that utilizes Mitch's feet to be more successful.

Agreed with the bolded part. Though I think why people are all up in arms right now is because the defense is playing at a SB caliber level and the fear is that if the QB position doesn't start delivering better results for the offense in the next 2 seasons then it will be wasted opportunity for a championship run.

I on the other hand don't feel like this is a SB or bust year but rather another developmental year for the offense as a whole.  I think that this team is set up quite well for the next 2-3 years at the very least because they have a good young nucleus on defense and some nice pieces on offense as well.  Just have to hope Mitch comes around by the end of this season and if not then I expect them to put pressure on him heading into next year.

Outside of the TE position, I respectfully disagree that they need higher quality weapons on offense.  They already have guys like Cohen, Robinson, Patterson and Miller plus now Montgomery who IMO when they have the ball in space can break big plays.

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

To answer the question in the title of the thread: do not sign Marcus Mariota. This game on TNF only proves my pre-year claim that he's horrible. This is embarrassing.

It was better than Mitch week 1.

Mariota would be a viable vet to compete. He would fit in the Bears system better than whatever they are running in Tennessee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed with the bolded part. Though I think why people are all up in arms right now is because the defense is playing at a SB caliber level and the fear is that if the QB position doesn't start delivering better results for the offense in the next 2 seasons then it will be wasted opportunity for a championship run.

I on the other hand don't feel like this is a SB or bust year but rather another developmental year for the offense as a whole.  I think that this team is set up quite well for the next 2-3 years at the very least because they have a good young nucleus on defense and some nice pieces on offense as well.  Just have to hope Mitch comes around by the end of this season and if not then I expect them to put pressure on him heading into next year.

Outside of the TE position, I respectfully disagree that they need higher quality weapons on offense.  They already have guys like Cohen, Robinson, Patterson and Miller plus now Montgomery who IMO when they have the ball in space can break big plays.

How many developmental years does the offense get?

Last year was there developmental year. They do not need to be dominant this season, but they need to be better than last season.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

How many developmental years does the offense get?

Last year was there developmental year. They do not need to be dominant this season, but they need to be better than last season.

Developmental to me means growing on what they did last year.  I agree that they need to be playing at a better level than last season and believe they will be soon enough.

Last year it took the offense a month or so to get into a good groove.  Remember that it's not a sprint...if we are still having this conversation at mid season then it will be concerning but for now overreacting to 2 games in where the offense didn't look that great against two challenging opponents is not a good exercise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It was better than Mitch week 1.

Mariota would be a viable vet to compete. He would fit in the Bears system better than whatever they are running in Tennessee.

Slightly, very slightly, better than bad is not "viable." He was atrocious yesterday and continues to be either somewhat up or very down every game. He's terrible.