Montez Sweat vs Preston Smith

taylor made

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

And once again without Allen, Payne looks like a DT not a DE. 

Payne is even more athletic than Allen. He’s entirely capable of playing 3-4 DE and even so, we are in a 4-3 look/our nickel w/ 3 corners in the game 2/3 of the game. We’re only in a 3-4 look 1/3 of the game - at most.

The issue we have is there’s a notable drop off from Allen to Settle along the the DL and from Caleb Brantley to our now #4 DL Trayvon Hester. That’s clear. At this point in his career, Settle is back up material and Allen is pro bowl - maybe even All-Pro - material.

Edited by turtle28

Preston Smith was solid for us.  However, you don't give big money to a pass-rusher who is extremely inconsistent.  Smith got his sacks in bunches, and I was never a fan of seeing him get pushed around for more games than he actually showed up on the stat sheet.  If the price was right, having him come back wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world, but the price was way too high.  

As for Sweat, I can't believe this thread was made.  Standard overreaction.  This dude just went up against arguably the two best offensive lines in the NFL.  I wouldn't expect a rookie defender to do that much in those kind of situations, especially with both teams laying it down.  Believe it or not, PFF has Sweat ranked slightly better than Kerrigan, and while Kerrigan is the better pass-rusher, Sweat is doing well helping to stop the run.  Preston Smith only grades a few points above them.  

Interesting to note though.......guess who is the #8 edge rusher so far?  If you guessed Pernell McPhee, give yourself a gold star.  It just proves again why the Ravens are the NFL's LinebackerU.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think it's looking more and more like Manusky was the one holding back Preston Smith. 3 sacks today and a force fumble.

Except this is Smith's MO.  Feast for a time, and then go silent for a time.  He also did that against a hapless Denver team.  Let's see how things grade out at the end of the year.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Except this is Smith's MO.  Feast for a time, and then go silent for a time.  He also did that against a hapless Denver team.  Let's see how things grade out at the end of the year.  

Not like this. I can’t ever recall him dominating the way he is now. 

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

(Also played well in his debut against the division winner Bears and then the Vikings)

but carry on. It's amusing. 

2 minutes ago, WaitWhat said:

(Also played well in his debut against the division winner Bears and then the Vikings)

but carry on. It's amusing. 

Read @MikeT14's post a few above.  He does well for 3-4 games at a time, then goes silent.  It could be better coaching, or a better scheme for him, but his MO was set with us for four years.  That's why I said let's what until the end of the year.  

I find it real haterish when people can't give CREDIT when it's due. Smith is no longer apart of this organziation and has been playing his *** off in Greenbay! Why the Hate instead of just congratulating him on the success he's having there? 

Alot of times it can be the players but also you have to take a look at who's coaching/calling plays. I believe Smiths success is due to the coaching in Greenbay. Coaches are using him to his strengths oppose to making he fit a certain system. 

Manusky sucks and before him they hired the guy who coached a 0-16 team defense! 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1