Defense Appreciation Thread

incognito_man

Wentz was 16/27 for 160 yards - but it felt like he was 14/14 inside the numbers. Seems to me Pettine waited far too long to bring in Goodson. My armchair guess would have been to have Martinez and Goodson in the middle with a little depth, yet ready to play down hill against the run and make Wentz beat our CB's wide or deep. 

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

Just now, cannondale said:

Wentz was 16/27 for 160 yards - but it felt like he was 14/14 inside the numbers. Seems to me Pettine waited far too long to bring in Goodson. My armchair guess would be have Martinez and Goodson in the middle with a little depth, yet ready to play down hill against the run and make Wentz beat our CB's wide

This would have been the ideal plan. Pettine should of at least changed it up in the second half.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Everything I've seen from Goodson so far doesn't make me feel like he'd have had much of an impact last night even if he did see the field more - which he did later in the game. 

How far out is Adams from coming back? When can we get us some Kingsley Keke and Fadol Brown? 

What I've seen of Fadol, I hope we see him less than we have. Keke should find himself in the Lowry Rotation. But we need a 3 tech to put on the field at least in rotation with Goodson or the 6th DB and platoon with Kenny when we go 2 down DL. Right now that's Lancaster/Lowry and idk, not a fan. I wouldn't hate the Wilkerson tire kick right about now.

48 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

What I've seen of Fadol, I hope we see him less than we have. Keke should find himself in the Lowry Rotation. But we need a 3 tech to put on the field at least in rotation with Goodson or the 6th DB and platoon with Kenny when we go 2 down DL. Right now that's Lancaster/Lowry and idk, not a fan. I wouldn't hate the Wilkerson tire kick right about now.

Agree, the Lowry/Lancaster duo isn't doing much for me either. Is Wilkerson even healthy?

3 hours ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Everything I've seen from Goodson so far doesn't make me feel like he'd have had much of an impact last night even if he did see the field more - which he did later in the game. 

How far out is Adams from coming back? When can we get us some Kingsley Keke and Fadol Brown? 

Goodson  is no great player but he could have added that extra body in the box to start the 3rd QTR. I was hoping for that, I thought our blitz and edge guys needed to be able to teeoff on Wentz at that point. With that said I noted it in another thread and most that watched no that our D gave us the ball back a couple times in the 4th. 2 redzone trips in the last 9 minutes with 0 points is what killed us last night. AR had a great night but when we needed him to make the right choice and throw he did not pull it off. Room to grow all around and a loss going into the Cowboy game is not the worst thing. Push these guys to dig in a bit more.

Are there reasons to believe that the Packers' run defense is going to get better this year? I'll take my best shot. They were awesome against the run in Chicago, they were more focused on stopping the passing game against the Vikings and Broncos (which they did), and they simply had an off-night against the Eagles. The Smiths have been playing too much, and Zadarius was playing hurt in that last game. Clark and Lowry were also a bit worn down. Montravius Adams has been missed and now looks ready to return. Kingsley Keke is expected to play more, and he may help. Oren Burks should be a big upgrade over B.J. Goodson when he returns (which should be soon), and either Raven Greene or Ibraheim Campbell could return later in the season to play mostly in the box and help out against the run. That's all the wishful thinking I can muster for one post. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 2:55 AM, Greg C. said:

Are there reasons to believe that the Packers' run defense is going to get better this year? I'll take my best shot. They were awesome against the run in Chicago, they were more focused on stopping the passing game against the Vikings and Broncos (which they did), and they simply had an off-night against the Eagles. The Smiths have been playing too much, and Zadarius was playing hurt in that last game. Clark and Lowry were also a bit worn down. Montravius Adams has been missed and now looks ready to return. Kingsley Keke is expected to play more, and he may help. Oren Burks should be a big upgrade over B.J. Goodson when he returns (which should be soon), and either Raven Greene or Ibraheim Campbell could return later in the season to play mostly in the box and help out against the run. That's all the wishful thinking I can muster for one post. 

I think this is fair to an extent actually.  Rewatching the Eagles game, the run defense wasn't as bad as I remembered.  For most of the game they kept it pretty in check, penalties and good play from Wentz kept drives going.  Late there was a handful of big plays, all for different reasons.

This isn't going to be an elite run defense.  The gaping vacuum in the middle of the defense is going to be there all season, it is what it is.  However, there's at least some pieces that will likely get some kind of shot this year, and at the very least this should be a solid run group against most teams.  Kenny is too good inside, and Preston is a stud outside.  Z is up and down, but often sets a hard edge, and Gary should be a plus starter there as he gets used to it.  Secondary is aggressive and can tackle.  I think in the end, the number of teams that can rely on the run to win against this team is not very large, and those games should be winneable if the offense plays up to their standard.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:24 AM, Siman08/OH said:

Packers Defense:

#7 in points allowed 
#10 in yards given up 
#3 in passing yards given up
#26 in rushing yards given up 

Overall not bad. Just really bad against the run.

Yes, but I’m not that worried unless we get down two scores. I think our defense invites the run on 2nd and 3rd and long as a risk/reward gambit. This team wants to be top five in points allowed and bottom half in rushing yards against. It’s a metric that shows their plan is working. 

More from Ben Fennell

Power of Preston Smith

Free-agent OLB Preston Smith is emerging as one of the more dominant edge defenders in the NFL.

While Smith is loading up the stat sheet with sacks, hurries and QB hits, he’s also contributing elsewhere. Smith had a sack on an inside swim move vs. Collins on Sunday, but I was just as impressed when Smith showed good awareness in knocking down a pass at the line of scrimmage and even had to run vertically downfield with TE Jason Witten.

Smith consistently shows up when hunting opposing QBs, but he’s proving to be much more for Mike Pettine this season.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/10/09000902/9-GB-PSMITH.mp4

from PackersWire

Opposing quarterbacks would be better off throwing the ball away than targeting Green Bay Packers rookie safety Darnell Savage. No, seriously.

According to Pro Football Focus, Savage has allowed a 10.7 passer rating on throws into his primary coverage this season. For comparison’s sake, quarterbacks are credited with a passer rating of 39.6 when throwing it away. Even more impressive is the fact that Savage has made as many plays on the ball when targeted (one interception and two pass breakups) as receptions he’s allowed (3).

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/09/packers-rookie-s-darnell-savage-making-immediate-impact-in-coverage/

usatsi_13399247-e1570647350700.jpg?w=100

Edited by Shanedorf