Defense Appreciation Thread

incognito_man

Every time I think about Jaire being this good I try and recall that GB actually traded back, getting another first rounder out of the deal, before taking him.

With that other first rounder, GB was able to trade up and select Savage.

Obviously quite early in their respective careers but the early returns are very promising.

• Like 1

Former OT Joe Thomas talks about Pettine after being together in CLE
via The Athletic

“He was in a dark place when he left Cleveland. He had some opportunities to get back into coaching right away, and he wasn’t even interested. He’d bought a place on Lake Erie on this beautiful island called Johnson’s Island, and I don’t think he left his house for like two years. He did not want anything to do with football. He needed some time away.

“But as a coach, he is a great, great, great defensive mind. And he’s got a lot of really good ideas on how to handle people, which is a really important talent for defensive coordinators and head coaches. I always thought of him as a very good motivator and manager of players and coaches and people. And he has a great sense of humor. He has that face that, let’s say, makes him look a little upset all the time. But when you’d get him in meetings, he was very direct and honest and upfront – which players respected.

“You can see the Packers players are just naturally drawn to him. Because when you have a coach that’s very smart but also has a great personality, those are the guys that are easy to play for and easy to fall in love with.”

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Every time I think about Jaire being this good I try and recall that GB actually traded back, getting another first rounder out of the deal, before taking him.

Obviously quite early in their respective careers but the early returns are very promising.

There was a lot of talk last year about Jaire vs Derwin James -- and rightly so, James was fantastic.

But looking at things now, I think you take Jaire + Savage 100 times out of 100.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

When I see it, I think of the height metric and how he may not have been on our board in past years.

Because of his height, I didn't look at him at all in the draft.  

4 hours ago, Lodestar said:

There was a lot of talk last year about Jaire vs Derwin James -- and rightly so, James was fantastic.

But looking at things now, I think you take Jaire + Savage 100 times out of 100.

Heck I was the most outspoken critic of passing on Derwin James. Said he was too good not to take. And even though James was everything and more than I expected him to be, that trade back turned into a home run. I said that a home run on those picks (Alexander and Savage) was what it would take, and that's what it's become. And that would be the case even if James wasn't sidelined this year. Props to Gute and crow for me.