Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick from Dolphins for 1st-round pick

49erurtaza

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Let's be fair though - versatile defender for a DB (to me) is a guy who can play slot CB, boundary CB and some S. I think the Dolphins had him learning six positions? Boundary, slot, box S, Deep S, OLB, ILB?

That's pushing it a bit, right? 

I don't really think of an in-the-box safety as being that much different from LB in today's NFL. Kam Chancellor was basically a LB with great coverage skills.

The stretch for me was playing him as a boundary CB, so I can see your point there.

Edited by childofpudding

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

They need to fire Keith butler 

Truth be told, the entire front office needs to be started from scratch.

Tomlin will get another job somewhere else fairly quickly, but our entire regime seems like it's just going through the motions, and is begging for a change.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bassomatic said:

The Steelers haven't drafted in the top five since 1970, or the top 10 since 2000. Assuming that the Dolphins will be drafting that high in their place is a tremendous leap of faith.

In that case, sounds like they are due for an off year and a high pick. Law of averages and all. Look at the niners, in 1997 you could have said "they haven't had a losing season since 82!" and been right. Then they went 4-12 and then proceeded to have only 2 winning seasons until 2011 came around. It happens to everyone in the NFL. The system is designed for parity.   

Its not a 'guaranteed' top 10, but with a backup third round 2nd year QB without the amazing supporting cast, its MORE likely its a top 10 pick than otherwise. 

Also, if Rudolph shows you he is not the answer at QB, then they just traded away their best chance to replace him. THAT is why this trade is foolish to make going into week 3, too much uncertainty. If they waited a few weeks and Rudolph shows promise, then the feel better that they didn't trade a high pick, because they might have actually won a game by that point. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

In that case, sounds like they are due for an off year and a high pick. Law of averages and all. Look at the niners, in 1997 you could have said "they haven't had a losing season since 82!" and been right. Then they went 4-12 and then proceeded to have only 2 winning seasons until 2011 came around. It happens to everyone in the NFL. The system is designed for parity.   

Its not a 'guaranteed' top 10, but with a backup third round 2nd year QB without the amazing supporting cast, its MORE likely its a top 10 pick than otherwise. 

Also, if Rudolph shows you he is not the answer at QB, then they just traded away their best chance to replace him. THAT is why this trade is foolish to make going into week 3, too much uncertainty. If they waited a few weeks and Rudolph shows promise, then the feel better that they didn't trade a high pick, because they might have actually won a game by that point. 

I mean....what if they scouted Tua and Herbert (especially Herbert last year) and decided...."We don't like those guys"?

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I agree with pretty much all of this, but I think you are underestimating the Steelers roster.  Not saying it's great by any means, but we still have a pretty good OLine, a good RB who might be used to his strengths more now, a really good WR in Juju and a decent TE in McDonald.  If one of the other WRs can step up, I think our offense is fine (pending Rudolph, of course).  And while our D isnt consistently good, its capable of making plays vs teams not called the Patriots.

I dont think this is a playoff team, but I could definitely see us winning 7 or 8 games.  I wouldnt bet on it, but for all of Tomlins faults, the team has always played hardest under him when facing adversity. 

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I mean to be fair, there is a reason that Kyle Jusczcyk is unanimously considered the best FB in the NFL. And I mea ... that attempted tackle was kind of terrible Minkah sort of deserved that. 

FIFY

On 9/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, warfelg said:

I mean....what if they scouted Tua and Herbert (especially Herbert last year) and decided...."We don't like those guys"?

Then they just cost themselves a chance to get a nice package of future picks in the scenario I was talking about. 

Rudolph looks like a viable NFL starter. There was a lot to like from him on Sunday. He is a work in progress to be sure, but he doesnt seem scared or completely inept. He may develop into a mid-tier QB in a year or two. I dont believe that type of QB is worth passing on blue chip talent at the position, but hey, the steelers clearly dont view themselves as picking in the top 5

The steelers defensive front is pretty good but realistically their team is not innovative nor do they have superior talent, which puts them at a weekly disadvantage. You have to have one or the other in this version of the NFL. 

Tomlin has been passed by the rest of the league in so many ways. Look at the Ravens on Sunday, they went for it on 4th a few times on their own side of the field and took risk, which gave them a puncher's chance to beat a powerhouse team with an amazing offense in KC. Steelers  didnt even consider going for it on 4th on their own 40 in the first half when they are already down 14 against a similar powerhouse in NE... thats just behind the times

Niners handed that game to them on a steel platter (pun intended) and they couldnt pull it out

Edited by N4L

We are 3 games into the season and while clearly Pittsburgh has issues, everyone is still assuming they cant at least get to .500

It's possible, especially in the AFCN. It requires them figuring crap out right quick starting against the Bengals. Maybe they'll end up being a 'top 5 pick team' but right now I honestly believe they wont. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I mean to be fair, there is a reason that dude has been in the NFL as long as he has. And I mea ... that attempted tackle was kind of terrible Minkah sort of deserved that. 

when a defender tries to tackle high, they deserve this. Minkah got owned there but it never phased him thats for sure. He was the best player on the field that day

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

We are 3 games into the season and while clearly Pittsburgh has issues, everyone is still assuming they cant at least get to .500

this team can get to or even above 500, but too much has to happen. I would start with the OC, he needs to be corrected with his ways on play calling. Connor isn't healthy but also needs to stop fumbling. OL is not run blocking, they better get going. Run D is lacking, some real problems there. dmc should be inactive, and put another player in there instead. 

if they lose to the bungles and end up 0-4, then that will force this stubborn coaching staff to make some changes, finally.  If they start moncrief and he drops passes, for that alone on principal they deserve to go 0-16. He stays inactive while the others get a chance.

Dupree is running out of time. They were counting on him and he is the same as he has always been. I expect Ola to get more snaps and if he actually has a good game, then to be either the starter or get the majority of snaps. 

Edited by 3rivers