Steelers trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick from Dolphins for 1st-round pick

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

After my offseason, I consider what he did as "quiet".

All I'm saying is that as a 2nd year player, I think its a poor look that he basically checked out. I think the reasons he was frustrated were valid but it makes me question whether he'll check out again if he's unhappy with the situation of his ball club. I don't think it will necessarily be a problem in Pittsburgh.

Wasn't trying to compare him to Brown, or anyone else, certainly.

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I literally cannot understand my fellow Dolfans defending the Rosen trade so adamantly. It was a bad idea at the time and nothing I've seen from Rosen suggests otherwise.

It's like Rosen stole your lunch money or something? You didn't see him droppin' dimes vs the Pats and putting the ball right in the receiver's hands? (who immediately dropped the ball lol)

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

All I'm saying is that as a 2nd year player, I think its a poor look that he basically checked out. I think the reasons he was frustrated were valid but it makes me question whether he'll check out again if he's unhappy with the situation of his ball club. I don't think it will necessarily be a problem in Pittsburgh.

Wasn't trying to compare him to Brown, or anyone else, certainly.

I dunno.  Maybe my perception of that is skewed now.  I don't think he'll check out that easily again.  I think what happened there was the perfect storm.  Multiple positions after being highly successful at 2; team trying to tank; a DC/HC he didn't see eye to eye with.

• Like 1

I remember when some Steelers fans shrugged off the early warning signs with Brown and Bell too. Brown arguing with his teammates, doing live video during a team meeting, etc. Bell's suspensions, Bell threatening to hold out, etc.

I'm not saying that Minkah will definitely become as much as a diva as someone like AB, but him being a second-year player and already asking off the team is something I'd think the Steelers would want to avoid.

He's definitely an impact player but I don't think he was worth a first-rounder given the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

I remember when some Steelers fans shrugged off the early warning signs with Brown and Bell too. Brown arguing with his teammates, doing live video during a team meeting, etc. Bell's suspensions, Bell threatening to hold out, etc.

I'm not saying that Minkah will definitely become as much as a diva as someone like AB, but him being a second-year player and already asking off the team is something I'd think the Steelers would want to avoid.

He's definitely an impact player but I don't think he was worth a first-rounder given the circumstances.

I don't see that with Minkah - his pre-draft notes include high marks on character and leadership. He's not one to fall into diva characteristics.

I just think it's THAT bad in Miami right now. Fitzpatrick is one of a few who looked for the door, and even outsiders such as Jadevion Clowney wanted nothing to do with Miami this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

No one shrugged off Bells warning signs.  Well, I wont say no one, but most Steeler fans didn't.

Brown...most probably shrugged off some early stuff, but we did get worried after tantrums on the sideline and off field stuff.  Nothing prepared us for what happened at the end of the 2018 season though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I don't see that with Minkah - his pre-draft notes include high marks on character and leadership. He's not one to fall into diva characteristics.

I just think it's THAT bad in Miami right now. Fitzpatrick is one of a few who looked for the door, and even outsiders such as Jadevion Clowney wanted nothing to do with Miami this season. 

Fair enough. Pre-draft notes also pegged him as a versatile defender, but one of the reasons he asked out was because he was asked to be a versatile defender. So we'll see. Even if you ignore that part of it, sending a first-rounder that could end up being a top 10 pick for a safety is questionable.

23 minutes ago, Bassomatic said:

The Steelers haven't drafted in the top five since 1970, or the top 10 since 2000. Assuming that the Dolphins will be drafting that high in their place is a tremendous leap of faith.

Yeah...that's why most Steeler fans aren't happy.  Too much uncertainty to make this trade.  I think we would've been okay with it if we were 1-1 and Ben was healthy.  But 0-2 with an inexperienced backup?  Huge risk.

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah...that's why most Steeler fans aren't happy.  Too much uncertainty to make this trade.  I think we would've been okay with it if we were 1-1 and Ben was healthy.  But 0-2 with an inexperienced backup?  Huge risk.

I'd be cautiously optimistic as a Steelers fan. Trading a first at this point tells me Mason Rudolph is more likely than not the "real deal." 

Isn't James Washington also close to unseating Moncrief?

Edited by thebestever6

33 minutes ago, Bassomatic said:

The Steelers haven't drafted in the top five since 1970, or the top 10 since 2000. Assuming that the Dolphins will be drafting that high in their place is a tremendous leap of faith.

They've also had tremendous stability at the QB position, with really strong running games and terrific defenses.  They have none of those things right now.  A top 10 pick is obviously not a guarantee, but it looks likely at this point.

15 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

No one shrugged off Bells warning signs.  Well, I wont say no one, but most Steeler fans didn't.

Brown...most probably shrugged off some early stuff, but we did get worried after tantrums on the sideline and off field stuff.  Nothing prepared us for what happened at the end of the 2018 season though.

That's fair. I remember most Steelers fans being pissed at Bell over his suspensions, especially with him trying to be a rapper and so on. So you're right.

10 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Fair enough. Pre-draft notes also pegged him as a versatile defender, but one of the reasons he asked out was because he was asked to be a versatile defender. So we'll see. Even if you ignore that part of it, sending a first-rounder that could end up being a top 10 pick for a safety is questionable.

Let's be fair though - versatile defender for a DB (to me) is a guy who can play slot CB, boundary CB and some S. I think the Dolphins had him learning six positions? Boundary, slot, box S, Deep S, OLB, ILB?

That's pushing it a bit, right? 

• Like 1