2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think the difference between Ruggs and the other speed guys is undersold. The 4.25 speed is obviously going to be the main appeal. Unlike a John Ross type who was always more track than football, every bit of that speed translates onto the field. It's comical watching how easily he separates from defenders.

The two guys Ruggs will be comp'd to in these conversations are KJ Hamler and Jalen Reagor, because they're likely to go in the 25-50 range meaning Denver could theoretically spend a 1st elsewhere. Here's the difference IMO. If you took 0.2 seconds off their timed speed, how effective would those two players be? In Reagor you might still have something worth drafting because he does have good playmaking instincts when the ball is in his hands that will make him dangerous beyond just the burners. And he has occasionally shown some "above the rim" ability, though not consistently. But KJ Hamler? He's all speed and twitch. If he's a 4.45-4.5 guy with his other traits, you're probably talking about an undrafted player. Most speed guys can only win with speed, so they just become inefficient beyond their effect on free safeties. Ruggs would still find ways to win if he ran a 4.45. Tough to tackle in space, great hands, adjusts in the air, physical through the catch point. Pair those traits with 99.9% percentile vertical speed and you have a fairly rare combination that's closer to Tyreek Hill than the track guys. 

I hear you on Hamler.    He has such poor instincts.   In the Bowl game, he went down to keep the clock running on 3rd down and trying to end the game....2 yards short of the sticks.   And that's just an example of the multiple bad choices he's made on field the past 2 years.   Reagor, though, I'm impressed with.    He's a baller.   The QB play and O scheme he was locked into, though....was abysmal.   

Edited by Broncofan

23 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I hear you on Hamler.    He has such poor instincts.   In the Bowl game, he went down to keep the clock running on 3rd down and trying to end the game....2 yards short of the sticks.   And that's just an example of the multiple bad choices he's made on field the past 2 years.   Reagor, though, I'm impressed with.    He's a baller.   The QB play and O scheme he was locked into, though....was abysmal.   

Reagor needs to clean up the fumbling. A fumble for every 12.8 touches this season.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Reagor needs to clean up the fumbling. A fumble for every 12.8 touches this season.

That's a fair take.  Wonder how his hands will measure at.  If it's a Shady McCoy thing (loaf-of-bread carry style), that's fixable.   Small mitts, though....

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Still liking S Kyle Dugger, perhaps he could help with out TE coverage problem. Guy is 6'2" , 220lbs and runs a 4.4 40yrd. Reports say he was one of the defensive leaders for the last two years so he has leadership skills as well as being a captain of the team, skills we've look for in the past two drafts. Seems he could be what they were hoping Su'a Cravens would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Still liking S Kyle Dugger, perhaps he could help with out TE coverage problem. Guy is 6'2" , 220lbs and runs a 4.4 40yrd. Reports say he was one of the defensive leaders for the last two years so he has leadership skills as well as being a captain of the team, skills we've look for in the past two drafts. Seems he could be what they were hoping Su'a Cravens would be.

I really think you've nailed it as far as draft criteria. The last two drafts Elway has seemed to focus on high character, team leaders. Also, proven resumes on good programs. Early indications are it's serving us well.

"Getting the clubhouse right" seemed to be a major theme this year. I doubt they'll draft one guy with off field or character issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

He will play in the Senior Bowl so we will see how he stacks up against D1 competition 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Never heard of him. Here's an article I found though.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/kyle-dugger-a-d-ii-diamond-for-the-nfl-draft

Ruggs would make sense. This offense needs vertical speed and he’d walk into the NFL as arguably the fastest man in it.

They better be talking to Saban though. I thought it was insane when Saban said most NFL teams don’t ask about his players during the pre-draft process. Belichick notably does and Dont’a Hightower has been the second most important player of the Pats’ second dynasty. 

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Could the Raiders pull another questionable selection, perhaps bypassing Lamb for the ultra-speedy Ruggs or is that just an Al Davis move ??

I have a strong suspicion that the Raiders will be the team trying to get ahead of the Dolphins for Tua. 

Usually I'm a big fan of OL/DL guys in the first but maybe not so much this year. Both look fairly deep at the top end and with the coaching talent (Kolar,Munchak) at those spots I think we can fill our needs in the 2nd/3rd.

I'm curious about a couple of things though and would appreciate some input.

At two position groups CB and WR which would you feel is the biggest need? Also, which group in the draft is deepest, WR or CB?

As far as WR's I've seen Ruggs, Lamb and Juedy mocked to us and at CB, Okudah, Fulton and Diggs. Chances are good at least two or three should be available. How 'bout some thoughts?