2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

Denver is going to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. I would be shocked if they didn't. Lindsay is the guy, but Elway made it clear they're looking for more out of the backfield. Freeman has failed to impress. Booker is gone. There's some real talent (Chuba Hubbard, Kylin Hill, Najee Harris, Ke'Shawn Vaughn) who I could see us taking with one of our 3rds.

As it stands, we have, what 5, picks in the first 3 rounds? Would not be surprised if offense was 4/5 of those picks (2 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Denver is going to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. I would be shocked if they didn't. Lindsay is the guy, but Elway made it clear they're looking for more out of the backfield. Freeman has failed to impress. Booker is gone. There's some real talent (Chuba Hubbard, Kylin Hill, Najee Harris, Ke'Shawn Vaughn) who I could see us taking with one of our 3rds.

As it stands, we have, what 5, picks in the first 3 rounds? Would not be surprised if offense was 4/5 of those picks (2 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB)

I'd be surprised if it was any sooner than Rd3, though.   The RB depth is almost as good as the WR depth - which usually means you can wait.  Honestly, if they waited until Rd4, it wouldn't upset me at all.  RB is so disposable.

Eno Benjamin, Lamical Perine and Harris are 3 guys in which I'm confident at least 1, if not 2 of them, fall to Rd4, that would complement our backfield really well.   When you have such a top-heavy class with Swift/Taylor/Dobbins/Hubbard.   Even a guy like Cam Akers is likely falling to Rd3, which is a huge steal in value IMO.   The only RB in the top 6-7 routinely quoted that I want no part of is Zack Moss - power runners with medical flags and major wear, no thanks.    I don't think we would be wise in investing anything sooner than a mid-Rd3 pick, but yes, we should absolutely mine the insane RB talent this draft has to offer.   The middle tier of talent would be top 4-5 most other years, but likely go 7-12.  It's definitely an area for value this draft.   We just have enough Rd3-4 capital that's a great sweet spot.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I'd be surprised if it was any sooner than Rd3, though.   The RB depth is almost as good as the WR depth - which usually means you can wait.  Honestly, if they waited until Rd4, it wouldn't upset me at all.  RB is so disposable.

Eno Benjamin, Lamical Perine and Harris are 3 guys in which I'm confident at least 1, if not 2 of them, fall to Rd4, that would complement our backfield really well.   When you have such a top-heavy class with Swift/Taylor/Dobbins/Hubbard.   Even a guy like Cam Akers is likely falling to Rd3, which is a huge steal in value IMO.   The only RB in the top 6-7 routinely quoted that I want no part of is Zack Moss - power runners with medical flags and major wear, no thanks.    I don't think we would be wise in investing anything sooner than a mid-Rd3 pick, but yes, we should absolutely mine the insane RB talent this draft has to offer.   The middle tier of talent would be top 4-5 most other years, but likely go 7-12.  It's definitely an area for value this draft.   We just have enough Rd3-4 capital that's a great sweet spot.

Yeah I do agree with Ben that a RB will be drafted at some point relatively early but I also agree with you that it shouldn't be earlier than round 3. 

All that said, I still think we're getting a tad ahead of ourselves thinking about what positions could be selected when as we're going to have a different looking roster and thus a different set of needs by the end of March after the real meat of free agency is completed. If we sign a top-teir IOL or WR, I think it becomes far, far less likely that we go that way in the draft. If we somehow resign CHJ then CB drops down the list of priorities. Conversely if we lose CHJ without signing another quality veteran starter, CB becomes as major a need as any. 

So much left to be determined. 

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah I do agree with Ben that a RB will be drafted at some point relatively early but I also agree with you that it shouldn't be earlier than round 3. 

All that said, I still think we're getting a tad ahead of ourselves thinking about what positions could be selected when as we're going to have a different looking roster and thus a different set of needs by the end of March after the real meat of free agency is completed. If we sign a top-teir IOL or WR, I think it becomes far, far less likely that we go that way in the draft. If we somehow resign CHJ then CB drops down the list of priorities. Conversely if we lose CHJ without signing another quality veteran starter, CB becomes as major a need as any. 

So much left to be determined. 

Yeah, that's fair.   I'm assuming Harris doesn't return.   TBH, the other part - if Devante Bausby passes his physical, and where Bryce Callahan is at by draft time.     With those 2 in the fold, it would likely help our 2020 roster construction 10x-fold.   Keep in mind though even if CB is a need, going CB early draft-wise isn't the norm for a Fangio D, given the emphasis on zone guys.     Zone guys are always devalued more than true man-cover guys.

Re: WR, even if we get a FA WR, I would absolutely pound the table to mine the WR talent from this insane draft class.   There's no mid-tier WR out there that is going to be our long-term WR2, and this is the time to get Sutton's Robin.    Our O is so far behind our D performance-wise even with Lock's emergence, it's embarrassing.      The beauty of the draft is we can hit WR in Rd2 and get a 1st round talent (albeit late 1st), or Rd 3 to get a Rd2 talent.    That's not usually the case with WR, but here we are.   And our corps is so thin with top-level talent, we can absolutely justify 1 mid-level WR signing for immediate WR2 help - and draft the guy who's more likely to be the 2021+ successor.   Win-win.

The draft this year is incredibly O-rich at OL, WR & RB (but you can almost always wait on RB).   This is the year to mine it for all it's worth, instead of reaching for immediate need - at least, for our first 2 picks.   Reaching for immediate need early on is how we minimize the draft returns.  We're not even close to good enough to consider that approach.   Once we're at Rd3+, then the differences in talent aren't likely so strong, need should play more of a role.  But Rd 1-2?  Go for best talent - if the gap is small, by all means need can be a tiebreaker.   But not as the primary determinant.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's fair.   I'm assuming Harris doesn't return.   TBH, the other part - if Devante Bausby passes his physical, and where Bryce Callahan is at by draft time.     With those 2 in the fold, it would likely help our 2020 roster construction 10x-fold.

IDK about that man. Bausby was showing out a bit, but still likely a #3 type CB on a good team. And he isnt young. Bryce is a slot guy if you want to max his skills. 

Honestly, I hope this team brings back CHJ and drafts a CB in R1 or R2. 

Even if Bausby and Callahan are 100% heading into the season, they both are not reliable at this point. We need to upgrade the talent base at CB moreso than DL or even OL IMO. 

54 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

IDK about that man. Bausby was showing out a bit, but still likely a #3 type CB on a good team. And he isnt young. Bryce is a slot guy if you want to max his skills. 

Honestly, I hope this team brings back CHJ and drafts a CB in R1 or R2. 

Even if Bausby and Callahan are 100% heading into the season, they both are not reliable at this point. We need to upgrade the talent base at CB moreso than DL or even OL IMO. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're set.   Just that both guys playing, you can put them into the top 4.  That matters.   Right now....it's pretty thin lol.    Again, in a zone scheme, I don't think the CB targets Elway will be going after are the ones we've traditionally seen - being more zone-capable, sure-tackler, eyes-facing QB types.

Edited by Broncofan

29 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I would be floored if WR was not picked in Round 1 or 2 in this draft. There would have to be truly insane value on the board in order to forego the talent in this draft when we have a need.

Yeah - Rd1, I could see us passing.  15 is pretty hard to justify unless it's Lamb/Jeudy (Ruggs I'm not sold on at 15, but at least he's in range).     I don't think we're going Shenault at 15. 

But by the time you get to Rd2, the next tier is so deep, it would be a huge upset if someone wasn't there who was a top 40 guy (WR is so deep, 9-10 guys are already in the top 40 - most years, guys like Higgins, Jefferson, Hill, Reagor - would all be Rd1 locks.   This year, at least 3-4 guys are falling to Rd2, if not more).      There, we likely match BPA and need.....it's just too good of a fit.  IOL & ILB don't really fit BPA, and CB will again be guys with zone-ability - who traditionally are devalued on Draft Day. 

On 1/8/2020 at 4:56 AM, broncos67 said:

To me, Wirfs (if there) or potentially Kinlaw are the DL guys reasonably in range, and even with that, I have some questions on Kinlaw and his scheme fit.

If we re-sign Harris, WR is the bigger need, IMO. If we don't, it will depend on what happens in FA. We got some pretty decent production at CB out of bit players, so it's not unreasonable to think we a) will see further growth there, b) may not place as much of an emphasis on it in Fangio's scheme. Also, if Bausby comes back, I think he'll be CB2, assuming he hasn't lost a step. Reality is, Bausby, Harris, and even Duke Dawson are going to compete at some level. 

At CB, I think Okudah is a pipe dream. He's going Top 5. I think Fulton/Diggs are possible, and I prefer Fulton to Diggs. I'm not really that sold on Diggs. It's anecdotal, but I feel like every time I watch, he's getting burned.

WR is definitely a deeper class. I don't think Lamb is going to be an option. Honestly, if Ruggs runs as fast as expected, he probably won't be around at 15 either, but who knows. I could see Jeudy fall, and if he does, I'd want him. I think it's not unrealistic to think Denver may double dip at WR. Elway has flat out said he wants to be able to outscore the Chiefs, that isn't gonna happen unless there's more weapons.

Jeudy, Tee Higgins, Reagor, Shenault are all good options for us. 

Like I do every year I listen to you guys about who to look at in college. So, I got curious about Kinlaw. Wow!

He reminds me of a heavier Buck Buchannon. The thought of that kid after a year or two coaching from Kolar and Fangio, it's hard to imagine. 

If we draft BPA he'd be pretty tough to pass up at 15.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Like I do every year I listen to you guys about who to look at in college. So, I got curious about Kinlaw. Wow!

He reminds me of a heavier Buck Buchannon. The thought of that kid after a year or two coaching from Kolar and Fangio, it's hard to imagine. 

If we draft BPA he'd be pretty tough to pass up at 15.

Heard he's got really long arms allowing separation between him and G's. He looks like he can be very disruptive. 

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Heard he's got really long arms allowing separation between him and G's. He looks like he can be very disruptive. 

Good description. I'd like to hear a bit more about him if any of you have ever watched him play. 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, AKRNA said:

Good description. I'd like to hear a bit more about him if any of you have ever watched him play. 

He’s a good one. Vines for arms, is strong and explosive off the snap, has a good motor. Leverage can be an issue at times. I’d like to see him play 5Tech. He lined up in a 3-0 Tech this season from all of my film study on him. Would like to see him develop more pass rush moves as he doesn’t hand fight as well he could. 

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

He’s a good one. Vines for arms, is strong and explosive off the snap, has a good motor. Leverage can be an issue at times. I’d like to see him play 5Tech. He lined up in a 3-0 Tech this season from all of my film study on him. Would like to see him develop more pass rush moves as he doesn’t hand fight as well he could. 

The little I saw on him, he seemed to be on the ground a lot for a guy as physically gifted as he is at the college level.  Did you notice any of that?