Jump to content
BroncoBruin

2020 College Prospects

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Mims is really intriguing, and track record is not everything, but Baylor pretty regularly spits out WR's that don't do anything in this league. 

I would take him late R3, early R4 but his hype is a bit much for my liking and I dont think he is a R2 guy. Sorta reminds me of Zay Jones meteoric rise in 2017. 

Zay looked amazing in the Senior Bowl.   The hype was insane.   I definitely bought in when his Combine showed great tools.  
 

What it highlighted to me is that 1 on 1 and even 7 on 7 - QB & WR are favored so much.  The WR knows where they are cutting, etc.   I love the Senior Bowl because it provides better competition and highlights one on one skills.    But we need to be mindful of the advantage QB and WR get in those drills.   CB’s that hold their own should get notice given the disadvantage they work against.   WR’s that struggle here should get dinged - they have such an advantage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, 15 is a killer of a spot to be drafting in this year. Broncos need all 4 of those QBs to go in the top 14 and hopefully a second corner and second edge rusher to rise into that area. At 15, ideally you want either the option of one of the top 3 WRs, one of the top 3 OTs or Kinlaw. The other blue chip guys are unrealistic and everyone else feels like a reach. You're guaranteed to get one of those three options if all 4 QBs go top 14 though. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise to me that Darnay Holmes has been reported to be one of the best performers at the Senior Bowl (graduated as a true junior). He's someone who might have built a resume of a top 20 cornerback if he went to Ohio State or an SEC school instead of the mess that UCLA has been, we really had no business getting a player of that quality but he grew up right by the Rose Bowl. Elite athlete who's undersized but plays a physical game and goes after the football. That could be a Day 2 pick with a high ceiling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

No surprise to me that Darnay Holmes has been reported to be one of the best performers at the Senior Bowl (graduated as a true junior). He's someone who might have built a resume of a top 20 cornerback if he went to Ohio State or an SEC school instead of the mess that UCLA has been, we really had no business getting a player of that quality but he grew up right by the Rose Bowl. Elite athlete who's undersized but plays a physical game and goes after the football. That could be a Day 2 pick with a high ceiling. 

Yeah, have been reading his competitiveness really showed at the Senior Bowl.  That Pride from Notre Dame in a few clips I saw looked excellent as well, I’ve read Pride could supposedly blow up the combine as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, BroncoBruin said:

Man, 15 is a killer of a spot to be drafting in this year. Broncos need all 4 of those QBs to go in the top 14 and hopefully a second corner and second edge rusher to rise into that area. At 15, ideally you want either the option of one of the top 3 WRs, one of the top 3 OTs or Kinlaw. The other blue chip guys are unrealistic and everyone else feels like a reach. You're guaranteed to get one of those three options if all 4 QBs go top 14 though. 

Yeah.  A part of me thinks trading back if available might be the best play if a player doesn’t fall....especially with what appears to be insane depth in this class at positions of need for Denver. 

I need to watch a lot more of these guys, but there is just some crazy variations on players from the draftnik sites.  For example I’ve seen Kristian Fulton as high as #5 and #15 from Draft Networks guys and as low as like #38 by Daniel Jeremiah.   The CB class in general outside of Okudah has a lot of differing opinions on a lot of good prospects like Jaylon Johnson, Gladney, CJ Henderson, Terrell and the likes.  

The interior OL is the same.  PFF even before the Senior Bowl had Jonah Jackson as a top 50 prospect...haven’t seen anyone else have him close to that high.  Mel Kiper doesn’t even have him as a top 20 IOL.  In general all of these guys have these IOLs evaluated very differently. 

This seems to be a draft tailor made to trade back once maybe even twice and end up with 2-3 2nds or a 2021 2nd and a couple more 3rds. 

 

Edited by germ-x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yeah.  A part of me thinks trading back if available might be the best play if a player doesn’t fall....especially with what appears to be insane depth in this class at positions of need for Denver. 

I need to watch a lot more of these guys, but there is just some crazy variations on players from the draftnik sites.  For example I’ve seen Kristian Fulton as high as #5 and #15 from Draft Networks guys and as low as like #38 by Daniel Jeremiah.   The CB class in general outside of Okudah has a lot of differing opinions on a lot of good prospects like Jaylon Johnson, Gladney, CJ Henderson, Terrell and the likes.  

The interior OL is the same.  PFF even before the Senior Bowl had Jonah Jackson as a top 50 prospect...haven’t seen anyone else have him close to that high.  Mel Kiper doesn’t even have him as a top 20 IOL.  In general all of these guys have these IOLs evaluated very differently. 

This seems to be a draft tailor made to trade back once maybe even twice and end up with 2-3 2nds or a 2021 2nd and a couple more 3rds. 

 

I hate this Corner class after Okudah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the CB class, if we are buying hook, line & sinker into the Fangio scheme - I don't think it would be great value to chase them with a top 2 pick.    While there are elite zone-friendly CB's some years, there isn't one that really pops up this year.   Frankly, the CB class is weak in top-end talent after Okudah.   Fulton's been good, but he's also been beat by the better WR's (and again, Fangio's scheme doesn't put as much of an emphasis on blanket one-one-one skills, as it does on eyes-on-QB, read & react, surefire run-support tacklers who can attack the ball and jump routes).   It doesn't mean we need to skip CB talents altogether - but the market emphasis on blanket cover guys (of which there aren't a lot of high-floor, high-ceiling talents as in some other years), I think we'll see CB's Fangio targeting still available in late Rd2 (in a move-up scenario) - Rd 3 window.    

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One CB I like is Kindle Vildor out of Georgia Southern. Not sure about his level of competition but guy is cocky confidant (good or bad). Could be had in round 5+ IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like AJ Terrell from Clemson. Not sure if he'll be there Round 2 when we pick, but I think he'd be a nice player. Beyond that, I would agree this is not an especially strong draft at the position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I like AJ Terrell from Clemson. Not sure if he'll be there Round 2 when we pick, but I think he'd be a nice player. Beyond that, I would agree this is not an especially strong draft at the position. 

 

Man, I just dont see it with him. He has size but his instincts really dont seem great. Also not sure he fits in a zone heavy scheme. 

As some have said, you can sorta grab a bunch of middling CB talents when you run zone heavy schemes, throw them at the wall and see who sticks. Its not quite the same as trying to find an elite man cover guy IMO. We should be waiting until R3-R5 for any CB depth IMO. I think Bryce Hall is a borderline blue chip zone prospect, only scheme fitting CB that I would deal up for (From R3 to late R2). 

I am on board with a small trade down (Something like 15 to 20-25 and gain a 3rd, maybe give a future 5th). We then have tons of ammo to trade up and get around 4 starting caliber talents. I think the talent in this draft is quite good. The RB and especially WR class is tremendous. There are tons of high upside, but 'year away' OL talents. I mean, some mocks have a guy like Austin Jackson and Price T falling to us in R2. Those are potential bookend LT talents falling. Again, they are 'year away' guys. But they are big on potential. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not one to toot my own horn (oh hell, that's all we all do, why lie) a good write-up on a couple of prospects I brought up a few weeks age, well before the Senior Bowl. Still like them but seems they're climbing up the draft ladder. Can someone give Elway my name, I'll follow up with a referral fee........

 

 https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kyle-dugger-and-ben-bartch-help-boost-their-2020-nfl-draft-stock/

 

Edited by Cutler06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Not one to toot my own horn (oh hell, that's all we all do, why lie) a good write-up on a couple of prospects I brought up a few weeks age, well before the Senior Bowl. Still like them but seems they're climbing up the draft ladder. Can someone give Elway my name, I'll follow up with a referral fee........

 

 https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kyle-dugger-and-ben-bartch-help-boost-their-2020-nfl-draft-stock/

 

Dugger looked great, and credit to you, definitely out in front of that one. I would not mind him on this team one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not hating but most of those guys have been discussed in the draft forum for months. You should go over there more and post. I often fail to come back here and talk about prospects I should do that more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to watch to form my own opinions on a lot of these guys, but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a draft with so much variations in their projections than this season.

Just another example.  PFF, which gets a ton of respect and Daniel Jeremiah who does as well, have Cesar Ruiz (OC out of Michigan) graded as if they watched 2 different players.  PFF has Ruiz as their 9th rated IOL and 94th player overall.  PFF mentions his athleticism being a plus for a player his size, but that he needs to add strength.  Jeremiah has Ruiz at #34 overall  saying his lower body is “outrageously” strong, but that he lacks foot quickness.

Again, haven’t watched him play, but 2 reputable sources have 2 very different takes/rankings on Ruiz. It isn’t just Ruiz either, it’s all over the place on a lot of these players.  A part of me thinks it’s because it’s that deep people just have different opinions/bias that come into play and a part of me thinks maybe this draft just isn’t as deep/talented as being talked about.

Edited by germ-x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×