GDT 9/22/19 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

The Chiefs offense and Mahomes is an anomaly imo. We could have played the game better, if we clean up the drops and stupid penalties ourselves we might win.

If the game is called more even, our chances of winning increases.

The 49'ers and Rams and Bills helped us. If we go do our job and win next week, we are 3-1 against an 1-3 Browns and Bengals/Steelers.

To me, this wasn't an important game to win, the next 3 are. With the Bengals and Steelers struggling to a degree where it seems difficult for them to turn it around, the Browns is the games we HAVE to win, to get that division win and homefield advantage. 

The thing about our defense is that it's not like the Mahomes game was an anomaly, though. Miami was finding guys down the field, just not often and their QB's were missing throws. Arizona was finding guys down the field consistently. Mahomes did the same thing. That's a trend. 

Baker and the Browns like to throw down the field. If we don't ACTUALLY clean up our coverage, it's just going to be more of the same. The entire game our zone coverage was too shallow and our man coverage was 2 steps behind every single player, despite none of their receivers running impressive routes whatsoever. It was just in/out/seam routes all day long and our dudes acted like they've never covered those before.

So I mean penalties, bad officiating, whatever it is doesn't matter unless our secondary can actually cover literally anyone, which right now they can't.

10 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Yeah, refs were trash this game. Still super disappointed in the defense. Mayfield gonna have another 300 yard game if we don't find a pass rush and fast. Our supposed to be strong unit, the secondary, is looking like our weakest. Its gettin bad out here.

To be fair, our pass rush wasn't doing a horrible job. They were getting pressure on Mahomes, but dude was just getting the ball out with the quickness. Not only that, he was firing off some insane throws most other QBs could only dream of making. Something tells me we're not going to get that same type of performance from Mayfield.

And yeah our secondary was trash. Obviously not having Tavon and Jimmy finally bit us in the butt, but what was worse was the play of our two highly paid safeties. Earl with his freelancing was responsible for multiple busted coverages, and Tony Jefferson being Tony Jefferson was responsible for so many atrocious plays - including the game sealing screen which he failed to diagnose (even though everyone and their mother knew it was coming).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

To be fair, our pass rush wasn't doing a horrible job. They were getting pressure on Mahomes, but dude was just getting the ball out with the quickness. Not only that, he was firing off some insane throws most other QBs could only dream of making. Something tells me we're not going to get that same type of performance from Mayfield.

Mahommes pocket presence is insanely good. 

One last thing I'd like to point out about this game is that people questioning Harbaugh for going for 2 I think are off-base. Going for 2 is actually very high percentage. The plays that we ran in those situations were very poorly called/executed. With Lamar Jackson, our TE's, our OL and Mark Ingram, we should NEVER get stopped if we go for 2. What we showed against KC was that the plays we had drawn up for those situations were not good.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

One last thing I'd like to point out about this game is that people questioning Harbaugh for going for 2 I think are off-base. Going for 2 is actually very high percentage. The plays that we ran in those situations were very poorly called/executed. With Lamar Jackson, our TE's, our OL and Mark Ingram, we should NEVER get stopped if we go for 2. What we showed against KC was that the plays we had drawn up for those situations were not good.

This. Also, going for two or not is the least of our concerns from this game 

18 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Agreed, but ironically enough if we convert all 3 2-pt conversion attempts, we win the game by 1 pt lol.

Which brings me to this: Greg Roman needs to do better in those situations. Spread the defense out and force them to respect your spread offense (then throw WR screens off of it) or run up the middle with Ingram, or Lamar keeps it and walks in. You can't stop all of those things when you're on the 2 yard line.