Week 3 GDT: Raiders @ Vikings

RaidersAreOne

Frankly, I'm growing tired of Carr reverting to this state. I think he can still be a successful QB. Even a SB winning one. If he gets his head right. But that is a gigantic if.

Gruden goes conservative to protect him and his psyche since we have limited receiving talent. But at some point, you gotta let it rip. You gotta be able to handle your business and not get rattled. I'm not going to say he got David Carr'd yet, but he's going to have to stave off that point of view because it looks more and more likely as games like today happen.

3 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

How do you tell the two apart? Both Qb play and play calls have been bad. We know Gruden isn’t going anywhere so I hope the problem is Carr for all our sake. 

I doubt it is. Sometimes Gruden's scripts are great but he isn't cutting it at adjusting. Again, we have limited talent, but also have enough to not look like dog crap. Same goes for Carr.

This isn't even getting into roster management. How was he ok with DWash and Richard behind Jacobs? Jacobs has never been a bell cow yet AND he needs receiving touches. The smurfs have yet to fully prove they can even be role players.

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

Curtis Riley becoming new Nelson at safety. Can we get a turnover on defense too?

2 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I thought his strength was coverage? He looks absolutely lost the last 2 games. 

He had 4 iNT's last season but was one of the worst starting safeties in the league. He's not very good... 

8 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Frankly, I'm growing tired of Carr reverting to this state. I think he can still be a successful QB. Even a SB winning one. If he gets his head right. But that is a gigantic if.

Gruden goes conservative to protect him and his psyche since we have limited receiving talent. But at some point, you gotta let it rip. You gotta be able to handle your business and not get rattled. I'm not going to say he got David Carr'd yet, but he's going to have to stave off that point of view because it looks more and more likely as games like today happen.

This tends to happen to QBs who the NFL has figured out and their talent isn't good enough to overcome being scheme against their weaknesses.

Happened to Flacco last season/ Same is happening to Mariota now and Carr

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

This tends to happen to QBs who the NFL has figured out and their talent isn't good enough to overcome being scheme against their weaknesses.

Happened to Flacco last season/ Same is happening to Mariota now and Carr

I'm not ready to say that yet. Because I also know he can be the QB we saw against Denver. People like to say he's been 100% garbage the past year or 2, but there have been some really good moments as well. I'm holding off before writing him off. He doesn't always make it easy though.

17 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Gruden deserves some blame but hard for any coach to do anything with a QB who is so limited

Yes his game plan especially in certain times was beyond questionable but he has a QB that can’t go off the cuff or do anything for himself. Carr needs his binky to secure himself no he can’t go through reads or even look down field 11 yards is it. He faulted quick in the sign of trouble he can’t even check down right 

28 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

This just seems overly optimistic. I want to agree with you, but the reality is that he’s a 28 year old QB who is 15 games under .500 in his career, who also has the same exact glaring weaknesses that he was knocked for coming out in 2014. Same type of issues that were present when SC crushed Fresno State in the Las Vegas bowl. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TLO said:

This just seems overly optimistic. I want to agree with you, but the reality is that he’s a 28 year old QB who is 15 games under .500 in his career, who also has the same exact glaring weaknesses that he was knocked for coming out in 2014. Same type of issues that were present when SC crushed Fresno State in the Las Vegas bowl. 

You aren't wrong, but he did seem to grow out of that until he literally broke his back. And then the follow-up year (last year) had 0 protection. He still has had good moments in that stretch as I alluded to. I wanna see if he can get his head right. But if the rest of the year goes like this.....it might be time to re-evaluate. I'm softer on him than most though because I believe in him. Further, I shudder to think of the QB carousel we'd have with Gruden around.