The Streaming Wars

THE DUKE

How will you consume content?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which way will you be entertained?

• Streaming Options (1 or more)
    • I'm sticking with cable
    • Illicit means of procurement
    • Just over the air channels live
    • I'm a hispter and say I never watch TV/Movies

It's a good thing I can find the majority of what I want to watch online. Paying for 10 different streaming services really wouldn't be much fun. Funimation is the only service I'd pay for if my buddy didn't already have it.

20 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

It's a good thing I can find the majority of what I want to watch online. Paying for 10 different streaming services really wouldn't be much fun. Funimation is the only service I'd pay for if my buddy didn't already have it.

Yea torrenting might make a big comeback if these companies get into a drawn out pissing match. 

It would be ideal if they all combined packaged and let customers pay a flat fee for multiple services from multiple companies. But I dont think that would ever happen. 

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea torrenting might make a big comeback if these companies get into a drawn out pissing match. 

It would be ideal if they all combined packaged and let customers pay a flat fee for multiple services from multiple companies. But I dont think that would ever happen. 

I think if this Hulu/ESPN/Disney+ bundle works out, it could serve as a proof of concept for bundling that could push companies to the table or inspire a company to try and be intermediaries for such packages. It's worked, to some degree, for anime streaming services.  

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, Deadpulse said:

I think if this Hulu/ESPN/Disney+ bundle works out, it could serve as a proof of concept for bundling that could push companies to the table or inspire a company to try and be intermediaries for such packages. It's worked, to some degree, for anime streaming services.  

The Disney bundle is the one I am most excited for, and seems most likely to get the bulk of my viewing.  I'll watch Netflix for specific things, same with Amazon but less so, but with this new bundle, I'll be much more likely to browse and use more, especially with live sports being an option for me now.

On 11/1/2019 at 3:48 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Very sad to see that PSVue is shutting down on January 30.  We've had their service now for almost 9 months, and I've been extremely satisfied what they provide.  Coupled with Philo, I basically replaced my cable, almost channel for channel (minus C-Span).  

Looks like we'll be migrating to YTTV, but I'm going to be sad to see that I'll be losing the NFL Network as a result.  

Sony, you arguably had the best service, and you doomed it to failure by giving it such a pi$$ poor name.  

YTTV is great but yeah, no NFLN or RZC sucks. It's easy to get that stuff though but just having to go to a different location and not having it right in front of you is a little annoying. First world problems at it's finest.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Will Disney bundle HULU Live with Disney + and ESPN +? I'd be interested in that definitely. 

I mean, they already have the 3 main services bundled together.  I'm assuming you can add on stuff like ad free or Hulu live for a surcharge to go along with it.  We'll likely add ad-free to Hulu assuming we can (they'd be stupid not to do so) on top of the $12.99 charge, but it's worth it to us.  I rarely have a chance to see anything live, so adding that isn't that much of a value add for me.  Hard enough to watch sports live most times.

So I get disney+ free for a year since I have verizon unlimited data...  that's cool

On 11/1/2019 at 3:48 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Very sad to see that PSVue is shutting down on January 30.  We've had their service now for almost 9 months, and I've been extremely satisfied what they provide.  Coupled with Philo, I basically replaced my cable, almost channel for channel (minus C-Span).  

Looks like we'll be migrating to YTTV, but I'm going to be sad to see that I'll be losing the NFL Network as a result.  

Sony, you arguably had the best service, and you doomed it to failure by giving it such a pi$$ poor name.  

bummed about PSVue too.. I have been trying out Hulu live to see if that is where I am going to go.

• Like 1

Disney+ having a few opening day issues with their menu screens (at least on mobile), but I can search and get to any content I've looked for so far.  It really is an impressive back catalog they have already, and there is still a bunch they are going to get back over the next 2-3 years as existing contracts expire.  

Also, you can keep your existing Hulu exactly like it is with the bundle, they will just credit you $6.99 towards your existing Hulu costs.  I'm getting Ad free Hulu, with the multiple screen upgrade, Disney+, and ESPN+ for something like $18.

I’ve jumped from numerous ones to test them all out. I’m on Hulu live right now and hate that there’s no NFL network. Also sucks that only Sling has MTV. My select channels are usually ESPN, ESPN2, NFL Network, ACC Network, Food Channel(lol), MTV, Discovery Channel, TruTV, and some others. We also have Netflix and Disney+ now. Anybody know if Universal and Nickelodeon plan to enter the streaming service? I’d love you watch 90s Nickelodeon shows. 

6 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’ve jumped from numerous ones to test them all out. I’m on Hulu live right now and hate that there’s no NFL network. Also sucks that only Sling has MTV. My select channels are usually ESPN, ESPN2, NFL Network, ACC Network, Food Channel(lol), MTV, Discovery Channel, TruTV, and some others. We also have Netflix and Disney+ now. Anybody know if Universal and Nickelodeon plan to enter the streaming service? I’d love you watch 90s Nickelodeon shows.