Who wins?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Browns
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Who cares? If you're not wearing Orange and Brown, you don't matter

On 9/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, diamondbull424 said:

You will definitely move the ball up and down the field. This defense is super leaky. We've been without two of our best corners (Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young) all season so that’s hurt. Especially because it’s forced Anthony Averrett onto the field. He’s got tight coverage but is easy to make plays on because he can’t get his head around at all. Then Tony Jefferson is literally the most overrated player in the NFL, he’s been straight trash since he’s been here. He couldn’t cover a $5 bet let alone an NFL player.

So while Humphrey is a stud, while Brandon Carr is still a quality corner, and while Earl Thomas is a beast... those two players cause the rest of the defensive fabric to unravel. You could see in the KC game some of the plays Thomas allowed were because he was biting on plays to help Jefferson/Averrett, it’s not good, but clearly he has no trust in those guys executing so it’s taking him away from his discipline.

So all that to say I expect big plays from you guys where you’ll run through wide open zones or your players will burn Averrett/Jefferson in coverage. The good thing about our defense is that when it gets closer to the red zone they typically tighten up and execute well to force field goals.

Whats more Andrews if hurt will play a huge impact such as in the last game. He was playing at a pro bowl/2nd team all pro caliber level until this foot injury. He’s our zone buster and he is typically the go-to option in critical moments. Hollywood is generally the next guy. But no Andrews meant Hollywood gets the clear double team and no one else has proven to be reliable in either the hands or route running department.

The important key will be if you guys can pressure upfront. Pressure from the edges Lamar executes against very well because he likes to step into his pocket. Those steps allow him to keep his foot spacing wide and deliver accurate balls. Pressure upfront forces him to narrow his spacing and cause balls to sail.

Should be a good game, will be interesting to see who is healthy. I wonder if we weren’t somewhat holding Andrews out and you all weren’t holding out Greedy to make sure they were “ready” for this showdown. But perhaps I’m just overthinking that.

Yeah... so most of this came to fruition. Our defense has been bad for most of the season. Jefferson, Averrett were both terrible like I assumed. Humphrey did a great job on OBJ. Earl Thomas was covering the field, but could only do so much. Brandon Carr was the only one I was wrong about, Landry abused him thoroughly. This looked like his game against the Steelers two seasons ago where Antonio Brown destroyed him so badly a homeless man in Baltimore had to convince him not to retire.

Had I known Williams would’ve been out, I would’ve added how terrible our run defense looks without him. He’s so disciplined and strong and it looks like he does nothing on a play to play basis in comparison to the “noticeable” impact that Michael Pierce has, but Williams is the more important starter.

Very disappointed in this defensive showing this season. Has been the worst defense I’ve seen in franchise history.

Beyond that the Browns did a good job taking what they were given, playing within themselves, and winning this football game.

It still hurts me watching Nick Chubb run for your team when he was my draft crush for that 2018 class and wanted the Ravens to take him. Chubb/Lamar would’ve been the much better decision over Hurst/Lamar. Either way. Good game. See you later this year in what should be another pivotal matchup.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 5