Shaq Barrett - Is he human?

Dome

I know he was elite at NCST and had a bajillion TFL, but I just didn't see him having the bend to be an exceptional pass rusher in the NFL. He's like a rich man's Robert Ayers. 

Ayers was my comparison as well. Better overall, and not hampered by McDaniels mis-casting him for years.

I would still much rather have Vita Vea (#12), Isaiah Wynn (#22) and Donte Jackson (#53) after making the Buffalo trade. Those were my guys.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Trust me, I spend much more time ignoring you than I do replying to your garbage.

Ahhh well tbh you should be perma banned so it should be you that shouldn’t be here. Because of you harper41 was banned. So yeah. So you keep tagging me. 

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

I looked up the buccaneers schedule, to be like "well he's really gotten 7 sacks in two games against bad OLs and he won't do anything close to what he has done later in the year once they play teams x y z"

But then I saw the schedule, and yeah, he's gonna win DPOY 

Lots of bad OLs on the horizon to pad stats against. Especially with an offense that is going to put up points and forcing teams to pass. 

Shout out to the Bucs fans here who have given their honest and informative opinions and not just opinions with glasses on. I always have a great appreciation for that.

15 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I thinks six of Barrett's first eight sacks were from a four man rush. Not sure about yesterday.

Today I started to go back and watch each game and chart each snap with notes so I'll be able to answer this by weeks end.

Yes, I could easily just skip to each sack/fumble to find out but those pretty stats are not the end all be all. At least not in my opinion anyhow. I wanna see the full picture (How has he been in coverage? Is he beating double teams? Is his creating sacks or TO's for others and vice-versa? Is he scaring opposing offenses enough for them slide protection to his side? Are offenses scheming plays away from his side? Etc, etc.   

So far, from what I've seen, I will say that my original thoughts about Bowles blitzing alot seems to hold true.

On a side note. Right now, people may only know Vea as a highly touted player coming out of college, and not so much from his on field performances, but man, that may all start to change very soon if people pay attention. His stat sheet doesn't do him any justice. And that's coming from someone who wrote him in the draft and thought he was overrated.

• Like 1

As far as DPOY-- Garrett may be off to a hot start but I'll leave this here as a simple reminder to not get too far ahead of yourselves. Per PFR.

Shaq Barrett Spotlight

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defender Shaquil Barrett continues his torrid pace to start the season, now at 9 sacks on the season and also adding an interception to his defensive ledger yesterday. By our Defensive Leaders formula of sacks+(1.4*interceptions), Barrett is having the strongest 4-game start to a season of any defender since 1982 when sacks were first recorded at the game level. Notably, none of these players went on to win the Defensive Player of the Year in that season.

Player Year Tm Sk Int
Shaquil Barrett 2019 TAM 9.0 1
Mark Gastineau 1984 NYJ 9.0 0
Kabeer Gbaja‑Biamila 2001 GNB 9.0 0
Kevin Greene 1998 CAR 9.0 0
William Gay 1983 DET 8.5 0
Bryan Cox 1992 MIA 7.0 1
Joey Porter 2002 PIT 4.0 3
Doug Betters 1983 MIA 8.0 0
Elvis Dumervil 2009 DEN 8.0 0
Antwan Odom 2009 CIN 8.0 0
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

This man right here is a big reason Barrett is off to such a good start.

Has Suh been good for you guys? He was such a disappointment for the Rams until the postseason where he became a monster. I think that was one reason why the staff wanted him gone because his effort was so inconsistent. 

I do think Vea's presence probably was a factor in Rams going away from the run. I don't know how much holes would have even been there with him clogging the middle.

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Has Suh been good for you guys? He was such a disappointment for the Rams until the postseason where he became a monster. I think that was one reason why the staff wanted him gone because his effort was so inconsistent. 

I do think Vea's presence probably was a factor in Rams going away from the run. I don't know how much holes would have even been there with him clogging the middle.

He eats space with Vea and holds the LOS. Which is all we ask him to do. He had a big downfield tackle against the Rams that might've saved a TD.