Vontaze Burfiict suspended for season; Suspension upheld

RaidersAreOne

It was a football play within a football game.  I have heard others say Doyle was down and that he needs to lower his strike point.  He lowered his strike point and Doyle was getting off the ground.  Joyner lowered his strike point also and hit Doyle in the head.  The league is overreacting to this.  The funny thing is that the Jones, Burfict, and Barnett hits where penalized because they were to the head and dangerous for the offensive player.  Burficts difference was that he lowered his head which straitens his spine putting him at high risk of an injury himself.  So he is getting a season long suspension for endangering himself.  Here is the other thing.  You can say they are escalating he punishment for the hits but they are not.  The hits themselves have been punished individually based on the severity of each hit.  Here are the illegal hits and punishments.  The Janovich, 2nd Brown hit, and James Jones hits I think are not that bad and more about his history.  Yes he came into the league with a rep already.

09/30/2019 Player contract details by year 12 games $1,163,787 Targeting against Indianapolis (IND)
12/07/2018 Player contract details by year   $53,482 Lowering his helmet against Andy Janovich (DEN)
10/19/2018 Player contract details by year   $112,000 Hit to head area against Antonio Brown (PIT) & James Conner (PIT)

08/28/2017 Player contract details by year 3 games $1,400,469 Illegal hit against Anthony Sherman (KC)

04/01/2016 Player contract details by year 3 games $502,941 Hit to a defenseless receiver (Antonio Brown, PIT)
01/11/2016 Player contract details by year   $50,000 Late hit against Maxx WIlliams (BAL)

11/01/2013 Player contract details by year   $21,000 Spearing against Stephen Hill (NYJ)
09/27/2013 Player contract details by year   $21,000 Hit on a defenseless Packers WR James Jones

Real time, it didn't look that bad. Slow motion made this look worse than it was. And Doyle didn't seem upset with the hit. So I don't know.

I see several of these hits each week. But this mans reputation is going to kill him here. 

Barnetts hit IMO was far dirtier. RB was wrapped up, whistle blown and he comes over and delivers a completely unnecessary hit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Real time, it didn't look that bad. Slow motion made this look worse than it was. And Doyle didn't seem upset with the hit. So I don't know.

I see several of these hits each week. But this mans reputation is going to kill him here. 

Barnetts hit IMO was far dirtier. RB was wrapped up, whistle blown and he comes over and delivers a completely unnecessary hit. 

This is my feeling also.  I was sure Burfict would get some fines and possible suspension but the NFL is just trying to make a point with Burfict.  If Barnett or Jones got ejected after NY decided it was unnecessary I would be okay but they did not even though the acts and the consequences are way worse then Burfict's.

2 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

Maybe we should take another look at Brandon Marshall - knows the system at least from pre-season, might be healthier. I dunno, we just seem really thin if Burfict is out.

Extremely thin. We have 5 LB's on the entire roster. This is after signing two practice squad guys last week. Yikes...

WTF?!? This is totally not worth it lol.  Bad rep got him this...Yikes

Edit: I just decided I’m going to boycott all Thursday night games (except for Thanksgiving) I already wasn’t watching because it’s usually an inferior product because the players aren’t rested. The NFL lies about “player safety” and makes all these rules to help Offenses but having a game on the 4th day after a game is Not Safe for players. Hypocrites and I’ve had enough. They won’t miss me and I won’t make a difference to their bottom line so a grain of sand on the hill.

Burfict isn’t the ‘reason’ just that last straw. 

Edited by G
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, G said:

WTF?!? This is totally not worth it lol.  Bad rep got him this...Yikes

Edit: I just decided I’m going to boycott all Thursday night games (except for Thanksgiving) I already wasn’t watching because it’s usually an inferior product because the players aren’t rested. The NFL lies about “player safety” and makes all these rules to help Offenses but having a game on the 4th day after a game is Not Safe for players. Hypocrites and I’ve had enough. They won’t miss me and I won’t make a difference to their bottom line so a grain of sand on the hill.

Burfict isn’t the ‘reason’ just that last straw. 

The NFL could care less about safety or PED'S and they care about 1 thing only...  Money.  No one cares about the Raiders because they suck, so the NFL uses bottom teams as examples all under the illusion that they care about the players.  If Burfect was on the Pats would that same type of penalty been enforced?  Absolutely not.

Did anyone watch the Bills and Pats game?  Did you see the hit on Josh Allen that knocked him out of the game.  The player who hit him wasn't even ejected and Burfect is done for the year. Haha the NFL is a total joke.  They let absolute scumbags like Tyreek Hill play because he is a big name player on an explosive O but when a player like Burfect makes a hit on the football field everyone is up in arms about how dirty he is.  This is football and ugly, split second reaction time hits will happen.  If you want to watch non contact sports watch ballet. 

Losing Burfect in the middle of our soft D is a tremendous loss and will make our pathetic D even more pathetic.  Rant over....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dante9876 said:

I really hate this view point. This guy is trash so this other trash guy should be able to play to. You want hill off the field. Tell his baby mother not to be trash also, so they can actually get something on him. The capitals have a dude who just got out of rehab for cocaine. While his teammate got 15 games for a hit. It ain't just football. The rules are the rules. 

Vontaze blatantly choose to ignore them. How long you going to let the same guy try to end careers. The league didnt want to do this. This safety stuff came from ex players suing the league. Moms not wanting sons off the field. What do yall want the league to do exactly. Make all players sign a waiver saying if you get cte it ain't the league's problem and we dont got to pay you for it. 

I think it's comical that you think the NFL cares about player safety.  They care about money, that's all.  

Protecting players like Tom Brady so he can play into his 40's and keep the gravy train running is all they really care about.  Once the players retire the NFL could care less.  Do you see them taking care of the old school guys who sacrificed their bodies for the game and are now in wheel chairs?  

Nope, old school guys are left hanging and a lot are destitute while the NFL continues to make Billions every year.  

To think a guy like Burfect is trash because he plays hard in a contact sport is a joke.  You see these hits every week and for a player like Burfect to receive a year long suspension is downright laughable.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The NFL could care less about safety or PED'S and they care about 1 thing only...  Money.  No one cares about the Raiders because they suck, so the NFL uses bottom teams as examples all under the illusion that they care about the players.  If Burfect was on the Pats would that same type of penalty been enforced?  Absolutely not.

Did anyone watch the Bills and Pats game?  Did you see the hit on Josh Allen that knocked him out of the game.  The player who hit him wasn't even ejected and Burfect is done for the year. Haha the NFL is a total joke.  They let absolute scumbags like Tyreek Hill play because he is a big name player on an explosive O but when a player like Burfect makes a hit on the football field everyone is up in arms about how dirty he is.  This is football and ugly, split second reaction time hits will happen.  If you want to watch non contact sports watch ballet. 

Losing Burfect in the middle of our soft D is a tremendous loss and will make our pathetic D even more pathetic.  Rant over....

I was just going to edit/add to my post but you make a perfect tie in with, ‘money’ 

A marketing friend of mine explained that the NFL changed because of legal betting and fantasy. He explained that the product doesn’t have to be what it was (contact sport) as much as a product people watch because they have a stake in the outcome. Betting is BIG business and a serious driver of growth. Fantasy was a tool to prep for that where people will be invested in the players on their fantasy team almost as much as their home team. It creates engagement and advertising opportunities to a growing audience even if ‘hitting’ is removed there would still be an invested market even if they lost the contact sport fans. 

I’ve never been much for college ball except to see who’s going pro, but there young men need to be paid because it’s looking like the last product of this once great contact sport. We should just rename it as Soccer can be the only football and we’ll call this Pass, Pass, Give.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G said:

I was just going to edit/add to my post but you make a perfect tie in with, ‘money’ 

A marketing friend of mine explained that the NFL changed because of legal betting and fantasy. He explained that the product doesn’t have to be what it was (contact sport) as much as a product people watch because they have a stake in the outcome. Betting is BIG business and a serious driver of growth. Fantasy was a tool to prep for that where people will be invested in the players on their fantasy team almost as much as their home team. It creates engagement and advertising opportunities to a growing audience even if ‘hitting’ is removed there would still be an invested market even if they lost the contact sport fans. 

I’ve never been much for college ball except to see who’s going pro, but there young men need to be paid because it’s looking like the last product of this once great contact sport. We should just rename it as Soccer can be the only football and we’ll call this Pass, Pass, Give.

I agree 100 percent. 

By limiting and defining what "hitting" legally is they are mostly protecting Qb's which in turn leads to more points and a more "exciting" game for betting, fantasy and average fans.  I personally think it waters down the game I have watched for decades.  I love hard hits and frankly these players get paid a ton to abuse their bodies.  If they are smart with their money most will be retired and set for life by 35 years old.

I also think college players should be paid, they make the Universities and media outlets a ton of money and most will never see a lucrative NFL paycheck.  If college players don't get paid it's only more money for the media and Universities they play at.  

• Like 1