Week 5 GDT - Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I think we need to find someone else to be our holder. Mitch wish is just not good at it. Id rather put mullens in that spot. hes active anyways. It would make perfect sense. I dont blame wishnowsky for not being good at it. most of these other players have been handling a football their whole lives, its only been a few years for him. 

Very much agree. He looks very awkward and stiff doing it. Don't know why they just didn't have Mullens do it. I've always thought having your QB be a holder just makes too much sense. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Very much agree. He looks very awkward and stiff doing it. Don't know why they just didn't have Mullens do it. I've always thought having your QB be a holder just makes too much sense. 

This is just a guess - you probably don't want your backup QB as the holder because if he needs to become the starting QB in a game, then you also end up messing with your kicking game or risk your only remaining active healthy QB on special teams snaps. As for the former, we have seen what messing with the snapper/holder does. 

I know at least one of the snaps was on Wish’s right hip. Not sure he is the problem. #bringbackbrianjennings 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I'll be totally canadian and mention the CFL, but for many years, the Montréal Alouettes had their #1 receiver as the holder, Ben Cahoon. He had the best hands on the team, and was amazing at trick plays. He was fast, he could throw it somewhat well. But really, best hands on the team, never missed a hold his whole career. And put up 1000 yards seasons year after year. I get the idea of having your backup QB do the hold, but that's really just because he's otherwise not doing anything else. But honestly, I've always loved the idea of a receiver doing the hold.

Just now, rudyZ said:

I'll be totally canadian and mention the CFL, but for many years, the Montréal Alouettes had their #1 receiver as the holder, Ben Cahoon. He had the best hands on the team, and was amazing at trick plays. He was fast, he could throw it somewhat well. But really, best hands on the team, never missed a hold his whole career. And put up 1000 yards seasons year after year. I get the idea of having your backup QB do the hold, but that's really just because he's otherwise not doing anything else. But honestly, I've always loved the idea of a receiver doing the hold.

Can't have your holder get injured, so it has to be someone that doesn't get hit. Backup QB ftw 

Brent Jones went off on Booger McFarland on KNBR earlier:

“The Garoppolo thing has me a little fired up. I really am frustrated with, you know, Snot Nose, or Loogie or Booger or whatever the guy’s name is. You know what? I try not to throw people under the bus most of the time, BUT, you are a very, very average defensive lineman your whole career and if I could pick anybody on a team that knows less about what’s truly going on offensively and defensively, it would be a defensive lineman. Rush the passer, stay in your lanes, play the gaps, tackle the guy. That’s it. You don’t care what coverage, you don’t care what linebackers are going. You might know a game or something you’re playing. You don’t know pass patterns, you don’t know what running backs are doing, you don’t know anything. So, I get it, he’s a guy that was left over because Jason Witten didn’t make it. But, dude, don’t come and bring your quarterback analysis into the prime time of Monday Night Football when you’re just a Jag on a crappy team, you’re just a guy. That got me fired up last night.

You tell me about Jimmy Garoppolo and his mechanics or whatever and he’s just a little off, while on the flipside he’s like, “Oh Baker Mayfield, oh I like what Freddie Kitchens is doing, I like what the Browns; Oh Baker Mayfield has had some ups and downs tonight.”

I’m like, “Really? Show me an ‘up.’ He got up after he was flat on his back.”

So, I was not happy with that analysis at all. I have to say, I know he’s working hard and he’s trying. But he’s a defensive lineman that doesn’t know anything about the game and it’s a travesty that that’s Monday Night Football. Sorry.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/9/20906022/brent-jones-booger-mcfarland-monday-night-football-commentary-not-happy-49ers-browns

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Honestly his critique of Jimmy was accurate. His feet were all over the place, meaning his mechanics were off and they led to some off target throws. This has been a known flaw in his game since we traded for him. And it still seems to be a problem. I understand he went and worked with Tom House this off-season and was trying to emphasize getting better with his throwing mechanics but its still a big problem. And I'm sure Shanny will point it out in film sessions because its as plain as the day is long. Even when he has a clean pocket he has a tendency to rush his feet and not shift his weight properly to set his feet and throw. He seems 'rushed' alot with his dropback and footwork. I don't know if its because he doesn't trust Skule and his trying to get the ball out quickly but now that he has lost both his bookend OTs, I hope it doesn't become a pattern. His mechanics should be better, with this being essentially his 3rd season with Shanny.

Honestly his critique of Jimmy was accurate. His feet were all over the place, meaning his mechanics were off and they led to some off target throws. This has been a known flaw in his game since we traded for him. And it still seems to be a problem. I understand he went and worked with Tom House this off-season and was trying to emphasize getting better with his throwing mechanics but its still a big problem. And I'm sure Shanny will point it out in film sessions because its as plain as the day is long. Even when he has a clean pocket he has a tendency to rush his feet and not shift his weight properly to set his feet and throw. He seems 'rushed' alot with his dropback and footwork. I don't know if its because he doesn't trust Skule and his trying to get the ball out quickly but now that he has lost both his bookend OTs, I hope it doesn't become a pattern. His mechanics should be better, with this being essentially his 3rd season with Shanny.

He was making it seem like Garoppolo was inaccurate all game and making a bunch of terrible decisions. That didn't happen. He was off on a few passes for sure, but nothing major. Heck, he barely had to do anything but Booger came with predetermined takes and he was going to say them regardless of how he played. So any throw he was off, he made a comment.

Jimmy is a upper body thrower. His feet could look like a mess even on his best of throws. His quick release and the amount of power he generates from his upper body is what he relies on. So on the deep throws it is important for him to have good footwork and not throw off his back foot, but this is how he has always thrown the ball...And he's mainly been a very accurate passer. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He was making it seem like Garoppolo was inaccurate all game and making a bunch of terrible decisions. That didn't happen. He was off on a few passes for sure, but nothing major. Heck, he barely had to do anything but Booger came with predetermined takes and he was going to say them regardless of how he played. So any throw he was off, he made a comment.

Jimmy is a upper body thrower. His feet could look like a mess even on his best of throws. His quick release and the amount of power he generates from his upper body is what he relies on. So on the deep throws it is important for him to have good footwork and not throw off his back foot, but this is how he has always thrown the ball...And he's mainly been a very accurate passer. 

Booger also called the Niners a power football team, which they are not. I get that ESPN has to cater to the average, basic fan to ensure all levels of interest are engaged, but man, once in a while it would be nice to have some intelligent breakdown or setup of a play. I still remember when Romo (I think last season?), when he was calling out what the Patriots were going to do before each snap based on alignment and personnel. I crave analysis like that.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:15 AM, y2lamanaki said:

This is just a guess - you probably don't want your backup QB as the holder because if he needs to become the starting QB in a game, then you also end up messing with your kicking game or risk your only remaining active healthy QB on special teams snaps. As for the former, we have seen what messing with the snapper/holder does. 

meh. I don't really buy this. If mullens were to come into a game after a Garoppolo injury and get hurt as well, we would be screwed anyway, and not because we wouldn't have a holder for FGs. So at that point putting mitchwish back as our holder would be the least of our problems, because we probably would have pettis be our QB lol

I actually think maybe it has something to do with practice times. You need your QB running drills while your kicker is kicking. He cant be in two places at once. Your punter/holder can be with the snapper and the kicker off to the side for the entire practice and it doesn't mess anything up. That's the only reason I can think of that makes sense. 

If we aren't careful, its going to get inside Gould's head. We need him to be confident. Lets figure this out asap

• Like 1