2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

On 11/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, Dingo18287 said:

I’d be surprised if Bryant or Betts are dealt. Because of their cheap ownership, see Lindor as the most likely option. 

Quite the opposite. Cleveland really doesn't have the money to pay what he's worth and they tried to give him a reasonable long term deal early in his playing time but he rightly bet on himself. It's the Cubs and Red Sox ownership that are contemplating it because of cheapness.

8 hours ago, mse326 said:

Do AL Teams in general pay more than NL teams in relation to market size? I don't think so.

Historically, I think the answer to this has been yes by about ~$3MM per team or something like that. I'll have to find the reference.

Granted, that may have changed in the past few years as teams continue to shrink spending and focus on cost-controlled player acquisition.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Historically, I think the answer to this has been yes by about ~$3MM per team or something like that. I'll have to find the reference.

Granted, that may have changed in the past few years as teams continue to shrink spending and focus on cost-controlled player acquisition.

Did they take into consideration market size of teams? General owner willingness to pay? It is a hard thing to measure given the variables that aren't really measurable. Perhaps the best way is to look at just the salaries of the bench players and non top 3 relievers (in their bulpenn). That way we can see if those people are paid less or the same. That would tell us if the DH is taking money from other players.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Did they take into consideration market size of teams? General owner willingness to pay? It is a hard thing to measure given the variables that aren't really measurable. Perhaps the best way is to look at just the salaries of the bench players and non top 3 relievers (in their bulpenn). That way we can see if those people are paid less or the same. That would tell us if the DH is taking money from other players.

This was a few years ago, but yes I thought it was based on fraction of revenue.

"General owner willingness to pay" kind of proves the point, though, right? If you have an owner who doesn't say "here's the budget that we can afford, go nuts", but instead wants to pinch pennies, they'd find it a lot easier to have minimum or near-minimum salaries in the middle relief and the bench than they would with an every day DH. And even if they aren't actively tanking, those types of owners are going to want GMs that sell themselves on replacing those middle reliever types with cost-controlled players.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This was a few years ago, but yes I thought it was based on fraction of revenue.

"General owner willingness to pay" kind of proves the point, though, right? If you have an owner who doesn't say "here's the budget that we can afford, go nuts", but instead wants to pinch pennies, they'd find it a lot easier to have minimum or near-minimum salaries in the middle relief and the bench than they would with an every day DH. And even if they aren't actively tanking, those types of owners are going to want GMs that sell themselves on replacing those middle reliever types with cost-controlled players.

I was thinking more along the lines of a George Steinbrenner not skew the numbers. So not penny pinchers but the absurd spenders.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a George Steinbrenner not skew the numbers. So not penny pinchers but the absurd spenders.

If you have a team like the Brewers that has spent at or near capacity to try and win now, I agree that if you added the DH it wouldn't increase spending. But the penny pinchers or rebuilding teams are going to have one roster spot that will be tougher to completely punt. 

So no change in one instance, and a positive change in the penny pinchers should mean a net increase in spending.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So no change in one instance, and a positive change in the penny pinchers should mean a net increase in spending

Possibly a net increase in spending, but a net loss to more players than it is a net gain. Like taking $500K away from 6 players to add $4M to 1.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-locked-pitching-bats-also-offer-path-improvement/.

Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports that the Blue Jays have "at minimum, discussed Mike Moustakas internally."

Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports that the Blue Jays met with Jake Odorizzi's representatives Tuesday and they have "legitimate interest" in him

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Marlins "are said to like Jose Abreu very much."

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're really lucky the Astros story just broke because I remember you telling me all about Mike frickin Olt when it happened.

I would still tell you about him, because he's the main reason (Tommy La Stella being another) that the Cubs won't be found guilty, even thought we know they are. 

18 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

KB will certainly be on the block once his greivance hearing is finalized.  Javy isn't going anywhere, as there has reportedly been some progress in extension talks.  I don't think Schwarber is dealt, as nobody is willing to pay for what he did in the 2nd half, and the Cubs would be stupid to trade him for less than that.  Dude made some legit adjustments and looks like a terrific bet to kill it this year if he stays healthy.

But Contreras as a trade chip really interests me.  I have this dream scenario where the Cubs trade Contreras to the Rays for some of their pitching/prospects, and then turn around and sign Grandal.  Amaya can take over in 3 years.  

Bad news @Slateman - looks like Rendon is gone and Donaldson is gonna be the guy............

Jon Heyman:  Braves would like to retain Josh Donaldson but are allowing him to shop around before engaging on a multiyear deal. So far he’s been linked to Rangers, Dodgers and Nats (though Washington’s 1st choice obvs is Rendon). Phillies could also fit.

:)

On 11/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's also adjusting to it. His FB% was a career low because he's 93, not 96 now. Personally, I'd be more concerned that this is the second straight year he's had injury issues than the velocity decrease. He was still on pace to be like a 5 WAR pitcher over 200 innings, but the fact that his velocity is going down and he can't stay healthy is a bad combination.

Sale has never been a power pitcher. He's a finesse pitcher who can throw 96-98 when he wants to do so.

If you look at the numbers more in depth, you'll see that his speed numbers in the beginning of the season, the last 3 seasons as a matter of fact, his velocity increased as the season went on.

And his elbow problem was inflammation.

Edited by BullsandBroncos