2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

On 3/3/2020 at 10:17 AM, tom cody said:

I do expect the Yankees to add another pitcher before the season starts. A guy like Andujar will be an attractive trade chip for the other team. 

I saw the mets & yanks were talking a Matz/Andujar swap. it was also in ny post article i believe 

• Like 1

I saw that too (Matz for Andujar), is Matz enough of a return for Andujar though? 

Speaking of the Brewers, what are everyone's thoughts on them for this year? They have Yelich signed long term now but seems like they had a few player losses over the winter. For me I can't see them finishing higher than 4th in the NL Central this year and they'll be behind the Cardinals, Reds and Cubs in the division in that order. 

41 minutes ago, tom cody said:

I saw that too (Matz for Andujar), is Matz enough of a return for Andujar though? 

Speaking of the Brewers, what are everyone's thoughts on them for this year? They have Yelich signed long term now but seems like they had a few player losses over the winter. For me I can't see them finishing higher than 4th in the NL Central this year and they'll be behind the Cardinals, Reds and Cubs in the division in that order. 

.500 team-ish that's hurling crap against the wall to find valuable pieces for the next Yelich-centered contender.

39 minutes ago, tom cody said:

im not sure if Matz is a enough for Andujar.  i see it helping both teams out. 

to me the Brewers are in a weird place. im not sure on the starting pitching,hopefully Woodruff  stays healthy.. elite closer/rp in Hader. and i think under-rated move in getting Urias. i can see them winning the division or finishing 4th. I think the Reds did alot this off season to get better, the cards are the cards and are usually always in it. I think the wild card in the Central is the Cubs. i can see them winning or selling some players off(Bryant, Rizzo, ) 

• Like 1

Yea but can Andujar throw? Even if his arm is good, it's not like he'll be better defensively. And they can't exactly hide him at first base or the DH. 

And am I the only one that likes the White Sox offseason so far, but feels like that team needs to make a big trade for a front of the rotation guy?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Yeah, the White Sox have had a wonderful off season. I think they'll see where they are in July before they make a trade to get a top starter. 

Dunno man. I don't think they should wait that long. They remind me of the Nats before the 2012 season. Lot of talent, and more in the minors that can contribute. They should strike while they can. Of course, I don't know what a deal like that looks like or what could even be available. But waiting until the deadline might cost them a postseason birth in 2020. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

Dunno man. I don't think they should wait that long. They remind me of the Nats before the 2012 season. Lot of talent, and more in the minors that can contribute. They should strike while they can. Of course, I don't know what a deal like that looks like or what could even be available. But waiting until the deadline might cost them a postseason birth in 2020. 

To be fair, Giolito was top 6 in the Cy Young voting last year.  He technically is a front of the rotation guy. Let Cease try and figure things out. See if Lopez can get back to his 2018 form, and see what Kopech can bring.  No need to rush and sell all of your assets now IMO.  They have good enough pitching IMO to win with their lineup if the lineup does what it should. 

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, Giolito was top 6 in the Cy Young voting last year.  He technically is a front of the rotation guy. Let Cease try and figure things out. See if Lopez can get back to his 2018 form, and see what Kopech can bring.  No need to rush and sell all of your assets now IMO.  They have good enough pitching IMO to win with their lineup if the lineup does what it should. 

Yeah, I would probably sit still right now if I were them. They brought in Keuchel and Gio Gonzalez, who are both unremarkable but they are solid. Add that to a potential ace, a kid that was a top 25 prospect last year, and Lopez who is a pitcher for the White Sox. Plus, like you said, they have Kopech coming by midseason if he is healthy, and Carson Fulmer has supposedly tweaked things for the better.

Next year should be their year to really contend. Robert and Madrigal will be in their second years, Vaughn will be at first, and the rest of their guys will be in their prime.

17 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That's a lot of "ifs" man.

Like "if" Giolito can repeat (likely), and "if" Kopech can return to 2018 form (fairly likely but he will also likely have an innings limit AND he wasnt exactly an ace in 2018), "if" Cease can figure things out (not as likely), and "if" Lopez can be decent again (not likely- Hes a bullpen arm tbh).