2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Spin, trajectory (the ball going up vs. down on fastballs, downward breaking balls vs. rise/sliders in softball) would be a much better argument. Velocity has nothing to do with it. They're totally different swings/approaches.

That said, maybe she's awesome and maybe she's awful. I don't have any idea, as I'm not in the building to see whether or not this is the case.

100%, but there's something special about being so ignorant of someone's experience that you start off saying "well she hasn't even done X" when 8 seconds of math would show she probably has.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

100%, but there's something special about being so ignorant of someone's experience that you start off saying "well she hasn't even done X" when 8 seconds of math would show she probably has.

I miss the weekly "MLB All Star vs. Jenny Finch" showdown that they used to have on Sunday Afternoon Baseball.

I can't be alone on this, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I miss the weekly "MLB All Star vs. Jenny Finch" showdown that they used to have on Sunday Afternoon Baseball.

I can't be alone on this, right?

At some point John McEnroe will write another book so we'll all have to spend 4 weeks talking about Serena Williams versus the 150th best men's tennis player in the world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At some point John McEnroe will write another book so we'll all have to spend 4 weeks talking about Serena Williams versus the 150th best men's tennis player in the world. 

Yeah, no joke. Last year some Sportscenter anchor said "When can we all just call Serena the best TENNIS PLAYER in history and drop the "woman" label?"

So, just to get things straight, let's have Serena play Sampras/Nadal/Federer/Agassi/Djokovic in their prime and her in her prime, right?

2 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres are still talking to the Red Sox about a possible trade involving Wil Myers.

Myers was linked to the Red Sox as part of the Mookie Betts trade talks, but the possibility is still alive even though the former AL MVP ended up with the division rival Dodgers. In fact, Acee writes that talks have been ongoing in the past two days, with the Padres hoping to get the Red Sox to pick up about half of the $61 million remaining on Myers' contract. Cal Quantrill is also a target of the Red Sox, though Luis Campusano and Gabriel Arias have been involved as well. It's unclear who the Padres would receive in return, but it appears they are mostly motivated to secure some salary relief.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2020-02-18/padres-red-sox-wil-myers-cal-quantrill-trade

I said this before, but Im going to say it again. Wil Myers has been on the trade block since the day he put on a uniform. I have been seeming Wil Myers trade rumors for seemingly my entire adult life. This has to be a historic run right? The "trade block" should be renamed the The Myers Position.

Edited by animaltested

Whoa you softball fans are mean!

Had nothing do with it being a girl. They throw underhanded with a windmill motion. That's all I was getting at. Too me and I was never a professional player but when I played baseball in High School I wasn't taking advice on how to throw overhand from someone that was throwing underhand.

BTW Huge Jessica Warren fan!

Edited by TENINCH

Tell ya the truth....I'm ready for some real baseball.

All I want to know at this juncture is what MLB is doing to close this cheating method down.

I'm sick to death with this Astros ****. Nothing personal against any of their fans, but the Astros suck and will continue to suck for quite some time  -  so  -  might as well get 2020 started start building a roster and get to getting it on.

If BOS was pulling similar stuff - I hope they get their *** handed to them and they can suck as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, no joke. Last year some Sportscenter anchor said "When can we all just call Serena the best TENNIS PLAYER in history and drop the "woman" label?"

So, just to get things straight, let's have Serena play Sampras/Nadal/Federer/Agassi/Djokovic in their prime and her in her prime, right?

to be fair , those guys would smoke her when theyre 50 and if she was 25. im sure serena would admit that as well, in fact, im pretty sure she has.

its ok to say men are bigger, faster, stronger... that doesnt take away from really good women competing against other women but when you start comparing them to men it gets silly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

to be fair , those guys would smoke her when theyre 50 and if she was 25. im sure serena would admit that as well, in fact, im pretty sure she has.

its ok to say men are bigger, faster, stronger... that doesnt take away from really good women competing against other women but when you start comparing them to men it gets silly.

100% agree

That is certainly true.

But the question is more about can she (or another female tennis player) coach a male player. And that is obviously yes. Even though she has never faced a 140MPH serve it doesn't mean she doesn't have the knowledge and expertise teach and strategize for it.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Remember when Brittany Griner said she could beat DeMarcus Cousins 1 on 1? I'm still laughing.