2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Giants will not include Aubrey Huff in their 2010 World Series reunion celebration.

Why?

Because he tweeted that hiring a woman to the coaching staff was a huge mistake. (giants hired a woman (partly) to say kaplar wasn't sexist or whatever because of the allegations from when he was a dodgers minor league manager) 

Huff referenced the fact he wore a thong in the lockerroom during the playoffs in 2010 and how he wouldn't have been able to do so with a woman around lolol 

Then he said "imagine taking hitting advise from someone who failed at softball" and then tagged some veterans 

He then continued to double down on the issue 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Because he tweeted that hiring a woman to the coaching staff was a huge mistake. (giants hired a woman (partly) to say kaplar wasn't sexist or whatever because of the allegations from when he was a dodgers minor league manager) 

Huff referenced the fact he wore a thong in the lockerroom during the playoffs in 2010 and how he wouldn't have been able to do so with a woman around lolol 

Then he said "imagine taking hitting advise from someone who failed at softball" and then tagged some veterans 

I mean if you're a professional hitter are you going to take advice from a softball player? Someone that's never had to hit a 95-100 mph fastball. He could have said it better but is he really wrong?

25 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I mean if you're a professional hitter are you going to take advice from a softball player? Someone that's never had to hit a 95-100 mph fastball. He could have said it better but is he really wrong?

Yes? The Dodgers hitting coach literally never played baseball past JuCo. It's idiotic. Huff is just a dumbass.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

This take is as silly as Aubreys'. A lot of coaches in many sports never played the sport above high school or low level college. You don't need to have played the sport at a high level to support and advance technique and approach. Bill Belicheck was a center and tightend for a Division III school. Should have NFL players not listened to him since he never had to tackle or cover NFL talent?

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, N4L said:

He also “joked” about kidnapping Iranian women. I think it’s more surprising he thought there was a chance he would be invited. 

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Other people have already told you why your logic is flawed, but just to further pile on with how garbage this take is:

In softball, you throw from 43 feet. In baseball, it's 60.5 feet. Per the 8 seconds of google it would have taken you to avoid this terrible post, you need to be throwing 63 mph to even make D1 softball, which would be the same as an 89 mph FB in baseball. If anyone even touched 68 mph while she was playing, that's the same as 95. So yeah, she's seen plenty of velocity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yes? The Dodgers hitting coach literally never played baseball past JuCo. It's idiotic. Huff is just a dumbass.

What's ironic about this is that, based on Huff's twitter account, I'm sure if you told him "those who can't do, teach" he'd agree with you. And then on the other hand, he's dismissing someone's ability to teach based on what they can do. 

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Other people have already told you why your logic is flawed, but just to further pile on with how garbage this take is:

In softball, you throw from 43 feet. In baseball, it's 60.5 feet. Per the 8 seconds of google it would have taken you to avoid this terrible post, you need to be throwing 63 mph to even make D1 softball, which would be the same as an 89 mph FB in baseball. If anyone even touched 68 mph while she was playing, that's the same as 95. So yeah, she's seen plenty of velocity.

Spin, trajectory (the ball going up vs. down on fastballs, downward breaking balls vs. rise/sliders in softball) would be a much better argument. Velocity has nothing to do with it. They're totally different swings/approaches.

That said, maybe she's awesome and maybe she's awful. I don't have any idea, as I'm not in the building to see whether or not this is the case.

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres are still talking to the Red Sox about a possible trade involving Wil Myers.

Myers was linked to the Red Sox as part of the Mookie Betts trade talks, but the possibility is still alive even though the former AL MVP ended up with the division rival Dodgers. In fact, Acee writes that talks have been ongoing in the past two days, with the Padres hoping to get the Red Sox to pick up about half of the $61 million remaining on Myers' contract. Cal Quantrill is also a target of the Red Sox, though Luis Campusano and Gabriel Arias have been involved as well. It's unclear who the Padres would receive in return, but it appears they are mostly motivated to secure some salary relief.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2020-02-18/padres-red-sox-wil-myers-cal-quantrill-trade